MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Wyobulldog
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoking Fish which end do you light

Hey I have a couple fishing friends want me to smoke up a bunch of their fish. Is there any kind of guide or suggestions on how long, what temp or something I should know?

I figure this is the place for all the best info

Mike

Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Sort-of depends on what kind of fish your friends want you to smoke. Smoking usually is better for more oily fish.

When I do salmon I usually do a dry cure and smoke at about 225* until fish is about 140* internal. This is a hot smoke and is called kippered. Sometimes I wet cure also just for variety. You can also cold smoke some fish (maybe all?) at much lower temps.

Maybe try the Google search feature here and sure you'll come up with a lot of input.
Also...try this.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Here are a few links.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=smoking+fish

http://www.3men.com/smoked.htm

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

This should get you started, good luck and let us know how the fish turned out.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

A simple recipe we like for Salmon is to spread a thin layer of mayo on the fish. Then shake soy sauce over. Then sprinkle with Mrs Dash (i know boring, but it's pretty good used like this.) Smoke or grill indirect on an open tin foil boat until it flakes. Pretty darn good and really easy.

I would think this would work on most fish.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I've just started smoking fish. Personally, I light the tail and suck through the lips. Tastes better that way.

Now, I like to use the brine method with just a little Kosher salt, overnight.

The seasoning would depend on the type of fish, but I just add a little EVOO and some spice and through it in the box. It's done when It flakes apart, or has turned a uniform color. Opaque, not translucent.

Easy man!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Wyobulldog
Knows what a fatty is.

OK links and Ideas that is what I needed, mostly I think we are looking at lake trout, so it will be fun to play. So Chef Jim its kind of a fish kissing exercise?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water. Smoked trout is OK, but Mahi, Salmon, Sailfish, Kings, and on & on & on.

Just a little ribbing, figured you could take it.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

What Bull gave you...^^^...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water. Smoked trout is OK, but Mahi, Salmon, Sailfish, Kings, and on & on & on.

Just a little ribbing, figured you could take it.
Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither./Qoute.

Well I'll half agree with ya,, I live on the west Cosat of Florida,, The salt water fish here is just OK,, I really perfer the the New England N. Atlantic fish. Just can't beat that Cod, Haddock, and Black fish or even Sword Fish. Oh well just my preference... Sorry Gym..
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither./Qoute.

Well I'll half agree with ya,, I live on the west Cosat of Florida,, The salt water fish here is just OK,, I really perfer the the New England N. Atlantic fish. Just can't beat that Cod, Haddock, and Black fish or even Sword Fish. Oh well just my preference... Sorry Gym..
Never stated where the fish had to be, just salt water.

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Chef ,,Haltech,, I'm just Jokeing with both of yas,, Tell you the truth, I have no Idea what kinda fish are over there on the west Coast of CA..
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
Wyobulldog
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=Chef Jim;1275981]Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water.QUOTE]
Problem is the closest Salt Water is in the Great Salt Lake & it only produces brine shrimp (keep falling through my grates). Beside I worry about them CA fish kissin folk. In my neighborhood we kiss Cow and sheep or an occasional pig, but none of them fishy things.

Tags
fish, smoke, smoking temps, smoking times