MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #1576
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

dont burn yourself out

I owned a car repair shop for 4 years back in the 80's

I was so busy like you I could not see straight.

I finally gave it up, I never wanted to work on another car again.

Actually shortly after that I got completely out of the business.

dont make that mistake.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #1577
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post

Are you getting close to having someone there that you trust to manage the joint when you can't be there? That would surely help in preventing exhaustion. I know you want to be there at all times since it is your baby, but maybe that person could handle Friday lunch rush and Sunday dinner rush to give you a break on some of the busy days allowing you to come in later for the big Friday night rush and head home after the big Sunday lunch rush.
Oh, absolutely. I've got two people who can and do handle the place when I'm not here. It's just like you said, it's my baby so it's hard not being here and getting my hands dirty all day every day.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #1578
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Do you have one person dedicated as a prep cook? Do you have any extra room in your cooler? Two things I would look at if you are running out of sides. One person is in charge of making the sides for the week. You could make the beans, slaw and potato salad on Tuesday to get you through Sunday. On Sunday sides could be made again so you have product for Wednesday. I wouldn't put the red cabbage in your slaw until the night before or the morning of service. Less chance of it turning purple. Not knowing how you do M&C you might be able to have those ready to put on the smoker when needed.

I was like you and did the open to close Thurs-Sun, order on Monday, be there Tuesday to put it away and Wednesday get things ready for the Farmer's Market. It was a tough summer. You are doing more volume. Be sure you take care of yourself. It will do no good if you go down due to exhaustion.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #1579
Sparty
Got rid of the matchlight.

I heard several of your commercials today on 96.1 :)

But do you really need to advertise at this point?
Sparty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #1580
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Definitely do not run yourself down that far very often. I did, and over the years it took more and more of a toll. Eventually, you will break down, and that will never be good. Let the folks take a shift here or there, if it is too far to go home, figure out a way to grab a few winks in the car or truck.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #1581
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Do you have one person dedicated as a prep cook? Do you have any extra room in your cooler? Two things I would look at if you are running out of sides. One person is in charge of making the sides for the week. You could make the beans, slaw and potato salad on Tuesday to get you through Sunday. On Sunday sides could be made again so you have product for Wednesday. I wouldn't put the red cabbage in your slaw until the night before or the morning of service. Less chance of it turning purple. Not knowing how you do M&C you might be able to have those ready to put on the smoker when needed.

I was like you and did the open to close Thurs-Sun, order on Monday, be there Tuesday to put it away and Wednesday get things ready for the Farmer's Market. It was a tough summer. You are doing more volume. Be sure you take care of yourself. It will do no good if you go down due to exhaustion.
I do have a dedicated prep cook, and we're already doing all of that. All of the sides are prepped and first thing in the morning we just have to pull from the cooler and throw in the oven, or add dressing to the cabbage and potatoes, etc. We've even usually got 4 pans of corn bread always ready to pull.

But it comes down to space again. We prep as many pans of all the sides we can fit, but both walk-ins are full, the reach-in is full, so the rest of the day is spent prepping to fill everything up again by the end of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty View Post
I heard several of your commercials today on 96.1 :)

But do you really need to advertise at this point?
Certainly don't NEED to right now, but the radio spots are still working and bringing in new folks from quite a distance away who have no idea we're even here. Pretty much every day someone will come in and say they heard us on the radio and had to come check us out. So it's certainly worth it for now, but it won't be an ongoing thing by any means.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #1582
grandrapidsbbq
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Tyler

I am new to the forums and just found this thread. We live in Grand Rapids and are planning a spring trip down the coast to seek out good food and beer...I am definitely adding your place to our list! I am working my way through this entire thread and so far I am very impressed... love to hear you are having success and looking forward to trying out your Q!
grandrapidsbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #1583
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I had a semester or two in college where I'd routinely go to bed at 2 or 3, and wake up at 6 or 630.

It got to a point where I was technically awake, but almost a zombie. Seemed like I was more likely to get sick and not be able to shake it for a while.

Not good. Your rest is important!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #1584
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Since I know many of you are interested in some of the details about sales and menu item breakdown, I pulled up last week's stats. This is for the 5 days wed through sunday. Could have done a lot more, but sold out at about 6 on Saturday and at 4 on Sunday.

80 brisket platters
105 large rib tip platters
80 pulled pork sandwiches
57 brisket sandwiches
36.7 brisket by the pound
312 soft drinks/tea/coffee
38 pulled pork platters
48 half chicken platters
22 full rack platters
29 half rack platters
27 sausage platters
24 squealer sandwiches
22.5 pulled pork by the pound
18 a la carte rib tips
22 burnt end platters
23 chicken sandwiches
14 pork sampler special
9 a la carte burnt ends
11 sausage by the pound
12 chicken wing specials
5 half chicken wing specials
10 half rib tip platters
8 Friday sausage special
17 kids meals

Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #1585
aawa
Babbling Farker

You say you could of done a lot more but sold out. From the sounds of all your updated posts you couldn't have done a lot more as you are running at full capacity.

That is great 5 day sales

The problem you have is a great problem to have. Don't let people tell you that you never want to run out of food etc. All restaurants wished they could sell out while running max capacity. The bad problem would be if you were selling out and still had the capacity to produce more.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #1586
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Remember when you had nothing to do all day but wait for contractors and inspectors to return your call... those were the good ole days

Really, it's great to see the success of all your time and efforts. I've always wanted my own BBQ restaurant. After following this thread from the very beginning, I now know for certain that I do not have what it takes

You've probably saved me thousands of dollars in hard knocks education. The least I could do is travel your way for what certainly must be the best BBQ in the Michiana area.

Remember to take care of yourself. Everyday cannot be a sprint to the finish. Once you reach the burn-out level, it's hard to come back from that.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #1587
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

I'm so tempted to open something here in So Cal....
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #1588
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jketron View Post
I'm so tempted to open something here in So Cal....
Did you really read this whole thread and still you are tempted to open a place???

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #1589
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

yes, I'm under no illusion its easy by any means.
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #1590
meridian8
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

would it be worth it to reduce the menu to only carry higher margin higher volume sellers?
meridian8 is offline   Reply With Quote