MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Default Discuss Pizza Dough

We live in the country. We cannot get a pizza delivered here no matter how hard you try.
We drove 7 miles one way tonite for a pizza. 2 weeks ago the store owners daughter did an awesome job on the pie including double the sauce and cheese.
Tonite we got double screwed on our order.
Long story short we are done with take out pizza.
Problem here is finding the best take out pizza crust recipe.
We cannot buy commercial made pizza dough here as you can in the bigger cities.
I tired Alton Brown's recipe and that stuff is almost impossible to roll out. Almost like a rubber band. I am looking for something that is half way user friendly.
I will be using Phil Rizzardi's sauce that he taught me to make at the A. Royal 2 years ago.
He should open his own chain of pizza shops. The rest would go broke in no time flat!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance on your advice.

Last edited by bbqbull; 03-21-2013 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: sp
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
We live in the country. We cannot get a pizza delivered here no matter how hard you try.
We drove 7 miles one way tonite for a pizza. 2 weeks ago the store owners daughter did an awesome job on the pie including double the sauce and cheese.
Tonite we got double screwed on our order.
Long story short we are done with take out pizza.
Problem here is finding the best take out pizza crust recipe.
We cannot buy commercial made pizza dough here as you can in the bigger cities.
I tired Alton Brown's recipe and that stuff is almost impossible to roll out. Almost like a rubber band. I am looking for something that is half way user friendly.
I will be using Phil Rizzardi's sauce that he taught me to make at the A. Royal 2 years ago.
He should open his own chain of pizza shops. The rest would go broke in no time flat!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance on your advice.
I hear you and understand your dilemma. Ck out this post.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=156183 You will never go back again!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bull, my biggest problem with dough of any kind has always been the kneading. That and following instructions. And measuring. So, I have a new system that works pretty well.

It does require time however. What I do:

1. Get a plastic or glass tub, put two packets of dry yeast in. Then add 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup of flour and mix. Let sit over night in the fridge.

2. This can actually be kept as a starter, but, I don't. The next morning, I add in another cup of water, mixed with 2 cups of flour. Mix this all together and get on with your day, letting this sit in the fridge until an hour before you want dinner.

3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes, maximum. Roll into smooth balls and set aside. I like balls about fist sized, but, for larger pizzas, go grapefruit sized (I assume your fist in not the size of a grapefruit, I guess that is a bad assumption) 3" diameter for small pizza, 6" diameter for larger pizza.

4. You can roll, stretch or even toss this dough, it will be soft and easy to work. If it is elastic, you kneaded it too hard. Also, work it when it is room temperature for easier results.

It looks like this when ready:

It looks like this when cooked:

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Bull, my biggest problem with dough of any kind has always been the kneading. That and following instructions. And measuring. So, I have a new system that works pretty well.

It does require time however. What I do:

1. Get a plastic or glass tub, put two packets of dry yeast in. Then add 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup of flour and mix. Let sit over night in the fridge.

2. This can actually be kept as a starter, but, I don't. The next morning, I add in another cup of water, mixed with 2 cups of flour. Mix this all together and get on with your day, letting this sit in the fridge until an hour before you want dinner.

3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes, maximum. Roll into smooth balls and set aside. I like balls about fist sized, but, for larger pizzas, go grapefruit sized (I assume your fist in not the size of a grapefruit, I guess that is a bad assumption) 3" diameter for small pizza, 6" diameter for larger pizza.

4. You can roll, stretch or even toss this dough, it will be soft and easy to work. If it is elastic, you kneaded it too hard. Also, work it when it is room temperature for easier results.

It looks like this when ready:

It looks like this when cooked:
Well put! Your description of a Poolish in right on! Slow fermentation is like slow cookin ribs!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Default Discuss Pizza Dough

This is best homemade pizza dough I have had. I got the link here on BBQ-Brethren but don't remember who shared it. It is an exhaustive discussion of all things NY Style Pizza but well worth the time to read.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-21-2013 at 09:25 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
This is best homemade pizza dough I have had. I got the link here on BBQ-Brethren but don't remember who shared it. It is an exhaustive discussion of all thing NY Style Pizza but well worth the time to read.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
I can't get over that link. There's a ton of incredibly good information there. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
buccaneer

I haven't found a better recipe, for it uses the fermentation and needs no rolling or proving machines, not even a mixer and yet the base is exquisite.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155967

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
landarc

Probably a thing to have asked first, what kind of pizza do you like, Mike

A lot about how you do the crust is going to come down to how you like your pizza. Personally, for me, I like a thin, soft center, light toppings and a crisp airy crust on the edges. I am not a dough guy and lots of toppings guy normally. However, if you like a soft dough, with lots of rise and a soft, almost white bread texture, that is a different dough altogether.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The Poobah is quite knowledgeable about pizza too. Maybe he will see this and pop in.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I personally like a thinner crispy dough.
Thank you for all the advise. I will give a home made pizza a whirl again this weekend if our weather gives us a break here.
Thanks again!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Cris
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Ironically, I live in a big city, and the best pizza around here is from a one man hole in the wall out in the country. And he stopped delivering about 15 years ago.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

No Knead Pizza Dough Recipe

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

As others have said, a slow fermentation is what makes great pizza crusts and promotes flavor and proper browning. I studied about bread a WHOLE lot before I got into smoking and grilling and learned that using very little yeast and letting it rise slowly is the secret to a dough that is easy to work with and has great flavor. I prefer leaner doughs, but they can be hard to get right and pretty difficult to produce consistent results.

I'm not sure what style pizza you like, whether it be New York, Chicago thin, bar pies, etc., but if you don't want to plan ahead for pizza crusts ever and want to be able to bake one in a few hours, this recipe here has given me good results when I haven't refrigerated the dough and just let it rise at room temp.

It isn't anywhere near as good as a slowly fermented New York style crust or even a Neapolitan style crust, but it is definitely tasty and has a fried greasier bottom than a drier New York style or neapolitan, almost like a very thin Pizza Hut pan pizza. It's very crispy for sure. The recipe is posted on the page at the top above the first picture of the pizza. It's a good article to read too.

Serious Eats: Bar Pies

Good luck though. Even a bad homemade pizza is edible, and usually much tastier than a frozen or chain-made pie.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.food.com/recipe/super-cri...a-crust-290968 this is absolutely the best crispy recipe I've found to date.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I forgot the add that weighing your flour is a whole lot better than cup measurements. It's shocking to see how much variation you can get in how much flour you add to a dough just based on how you scoop it from the bag. Unless your good at feeling a dough out for consistency and hydration, I'd definitely look into scales. They are priceless for a whole lot more than breads and pizzas too.