MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default KCBS Pork Rule

I haven't seen anything on here, but I saw something on Facebook indicating that Mike Peters proposed changing the new pork rule at the 11th hour. Did it pass? Do we know what the pork rule would be next year?

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I listened to the mp3 and it was changed again by a motion brought up by Mike Peters but there will be another meeting in two weeks where it will probably change again.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I listened to the mp3 and it was changed again by a motion brought up by Mike Peters but there will be another meeting in two weeks where it will probably change again.
How did it change this time?

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

New rule will allow any type of pork, including McRib. (j/k)
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

On the KCBS website, there are quick notes from the BOD meeting. Looks like two votes for the pork rule were taken and one passed. The Mike Peters rule called for no returning of pork to the smoker once it was parted.

I propose the following motion for consideration:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.
Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass
6 yes, Mike B, Randy B, Kim C, Wayne L, Tana S, Mike P
4 No, Steve F, Don H, Dave C, Jeff S

The second vote called for the returning of parted pork be up to the cook.

Jeff Stith
I make the motion that the set of rules for 2014 be officially finalized. There were only two rules applying to cooks that were passed as motions to be changed during this year.
1. Rule #12 regarding garnish was changed in wording. The last sentence currently says: "Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on appearance. The word "improper" has been changed to "illegal".
2. The pork rule has been changed to read: Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole /9bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
Second Steve Farrin
3-Yes Steve F, Dave C, Jeff S
7-no Don H, Tana S, Mike B, Randy B, Kim C, Wayne L, Mike P

Motion fails as is.

Funny thing is both of those votes have a note from whoever took the quick notes that states, Consensus of the BOD is to put the 5 lb back in and allow the meat to be put back on the smoker. I personally don't understand how that statement can be made about the Mike Peters' motion if it specifically indicates the pork cannot be returned to the smoker. Regardless, they have set aside both votes for another meeting later this month.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Icekub
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
New rule will allow any type of pork, including McRib. (j/k)
This will significantly cut down on my box building time!
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
On the KCBS website, there are quick notes from the BOD meeting. Looks like two votes for the pork rule were taken and one passed. The Mike Peters rule called for no returning of pork to the smoker once it was parted.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.
Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

Jeff Stith
I make the motion that the set of rules for 2014 be officially finalized. There were only two rules applying to cooks that were passed as motions to be changed during this year.
1. Rule #12 regarding garnish was changed in wording. The last sentence currently says: "Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on appearance. The word "improper" has been changed to "illegal".
2. The pork rule has been changed to read: Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole /9bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
Second Steve Farrin

Motion fails as is.

Funny thing is both of those votes have a note from whoever took the quick notes that states, Consensus of the BOD is to put the 5 lb back in and allow the meat to be put back on the smoker. I personally don't understand how that statement can be made about the Mike Peters' motion if it specifically indicates the pork cannot be returned to the smoker. Regardless, they have set aside both votes for another meeting later this month.
His motion is once it parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded it can't be returned but that would still let you cook and then separate and return to the cooker as long as it doesn't fall in to the items listed.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
rxcellentq
On the road to being a farker

"Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill."

it looks like you may be able to cook two buts cut the MM off when you want the return the rest. is that what they mean by "those portions"?
rxcellentq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Isn't that just one very large "chunk". If his proposal is as stated by Rich, then the rule needs to be written so there is no question as to its meaning.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Isn't that just one very large "chunk". If his proposal is as stated by Rich, then the rule needs to be written so there is no question as to its meaning.
This is the same as any law of society there is always a different interpretation of a rule. Do we really want lawyers involved in our cooks?

We will never come up with a new rule that will keep it bbq vs grilling, maintain an advanced skill set, and not be written in a manner that won't be torn apart by one person or another.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
His motion is once it parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded it can't be returned but that would still let you cook and then separate and return to the cooker as long as it doesn't fall in to the items listed.
It must weigh 5 pounds minimum.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
It must weigh 5 pounds minimum.
I read it as it must be 5lb minimum before cooking. I don't consider a whole money muscle as a chunk, cutlet, slices, medallions, etc

I think we are looking at the next tax law.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
SmokeUSum
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
I read it as it must be 5lb minimum before cooking. I don't consider a whole money muscle as a chunk, cutlet, slices, medallions, etc

I think we are looking at the next tax law.
How could you not see the MM as a chunk? Reading the proposed change/motion, it would appear that once any part of the meat as a whole was taken, cut, pulled, whatever, that NONE of it could go back... That's the way it reads it me, but I've been reading and writing legal-ez for a few years, so I'm not sure if I'm breaking down the statement too much.
SmokeUSum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

As I read and reread I keep coming up with the same thing, it depends on what the interpretation of "those portions" is. If that means once I cut the MM out I can put the rest back on for my pulled, I like it less meat I have to buy.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

Jeff Stith
Second Steve Farrin

Motion fails as is.

Actually the quick notes are incomplete. Tana changed her vote on mike peters motion and it was defeated. As it stands now the pork rule is in limbo.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->