What to do with venison stew meat?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
My sister in law came over last week and handed me 2 packs of 'deer stew meat' and said that one was for me, as long as I make burnt ends out of the other for her. I'm afraid that trying to smoke them would give me a pan filled with deer jerky chunks. Is there a good way smoke these, or is it a lost cause?

Option 1
explain to her that a burnt end comes from cubed twice smoked beef brisket point?
Option two-
smoke-stir fry-dump In sauce and braise in smoke?
Option three-
make a thick chili using red wine for stock-bbq sauce for tomato sauce/paste
***Option 4- nope

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/best-ever-bbq-brisket-burnt-ends/

***Somewhat kidding Somewhat serious. I’m sure she’s a great gal. MSU and Make her happy.

MSU route: 1 package Williams Chili Mix.Red wine. 1 bottle real sugar/molasses/BBQ Sauce. Smoke meat about 3/4 done mix in all ingredients and either finish outside on smoker or stove top

MSU :)

Last edited:
Heh, thanks. She is aware they aren't actually burnt ends, but I've taken the pork belly burnt ends to family events before, and probably the faux chuck roast burnt ends as well.

Option 2 is a good idea, I was thinking they would need a braising-so I might have to go that route.

I used to hunt harvest a lot of deer. It’s so lean I never had great luck smoking (probably my talent level). Grilled chicken fried soups stews chili- we used to pound the bejesus flat and fry in butter s&p for sandwiches and roll ups.

I bet you can MSU and bring a smile. Keep us posted. Sounds like a fun gig

Venison burnt ends...sorry, that's probably not happening. Brisket burnt ends come from the fatty point, and the emphasis is on fatty. What makes burnt ends so good is that they have so much fat to render that after a ton of time it renders making them so rich and changes the texture (pork belly too).

You just won't have that with venison. If you have a grinder, call your local grocery and ask them for beef fat trimmings (they just throw it away so you can get it for free, if not, find a different grocery) and make some killer deer burger. I've been going 70-30 or above lately, just awesome. If not you are going to want to marinate and make kebabs or turn into some kind of braise. I'd go kebabs on the rare side, quicker and really once you make a stew, chili, or braise you wouldn't be able to taste the venison flavor, which is a shame.

If your pieces are decent size, you might get away with pounding each one out flat, wrapping each around a cube of cheese and jalapeno, then wrapping in some bacon and cooking until the bacon is done? It would give you moisture and flavor. Otherwise, veggie stew?

MAYBE they would be ok breaded and deep fried, medium rare bites...Toss them in BBQ sauce when they come out of the fryer and tell her "voila".

Back