Chile Verde ala ME!

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well as promised after the pork and beans, I was gonna do something with the butt cooked, but not eaten at my last comp.

I have so much left over and I knew this week was gonna be cool and wet with Ida coming ashore, so I decided to start with some chili verde.

So yesterday I roasted/smoked a head of garlic, a cup of minced onions, a couple of serranos and a few anaheims over some rosemary sprigs. The mass of green in the middle is tomatillos. I roasted them in a foil pan, cause I was planning on them rupturing on me.

DSCF1070.jpg

Blended them all together with a little wand blender, some dried spices and a little brew. Cause who knows I might just enter this weeks throw-down. Of course I don't think I have ever made chili without a little beer.

DSCF1071.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to get an action shot of the beer going in when you are the one pouring and the one taking a picture?

When I found Monty Python's HOLY G/R/AIL Ale, I knew I had to make it the official drink of the 'Life of Brine' cook team. After all one good parody deserves another.

I simmered that in my dutch oven for a little while till it was reduced by about 1/2. One word of advise. Do not do tomatillos in a cast iron dutch oven.. They really began to pull a metallic taste. I transferred to a SS pot just in a nick of time. Everything went into the fridge to meld overnight. This way I have 2 day old chili on the first day!

Today while reheating the pork, I added a small bit of finally cilantro and the juice from half a lime, a dash or two of some Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt (alright it was closer to a TSP, I love the stuff), and a little piri-piri powder for some more heat.

Here is the reheated butt as it came out of the oven.

DSCF1072.jpg

After the first pull.

DSCF1075.jpg

Everything into the SS pot, for a toss and and a gentle simmer.

DSCF1077.jpg

Here she is all plated up.

DSCF1078.jpg

Notice the fork and not a spoon. When I make a stew it is a forking (or is that farking) stew and not a gruel. I still have plenty left over. I think tomorrow I will make some of the Round Up biscuits I did last week, toss them on top and really fill my belly again.

I will have to share the butt with my 2 Q'ats. They are my Q' buddies. Course they don't come out and linger around the smoker, they just sit up on the balcony enjoying the smell and making a racket ever so often to remind me that they want some too! It can be a treacherous walk from the door to the kitchen when carrying steaming hot meat.

This one is Demon Kitty and he is just that. He is lovable, cuddly and always wants to head butt, but likes to create havoc. He is very successful in that.

DSCF1083.jpg

This is Solstice. She is starting to get up there. She was a foundling 8 years ago up in St Paul, during December. All that fur is misleading. She may look like a big ol' fat cat but she weighs a whopping 6 pounds. We have been through a lot together, a flood, a fire, a 1400 mile move and a lot more stuff than either of us needed. But like me she is a survivor.

DSCF1084.jpg

As you can see she tolerates me, but she loves the Q and she likes it spicy! Course she doesn't get to much of the spicy. It is hard enough keeping up with the hair balls.

Well I hope you enjoyed the food and kitty pron!

Nice dinner! I like the cats, that black one looks crazy.

Everything looks great! Love the looks of the chili.. way to go making it 2 day old chili to start with. I'm going to try that. :-D
Your kittys are cute too. :cool:
Nice job!!

Phubar,
Phigured you would like the pun. And it turn out real well.
NWBBQ,
Thanks, recipe i picked up in Colorado years ago, but I gotta admit I am wishing I had tossed in a chipotle or two.
Hugh,
Like most idiots Demon is crazy. I named him appropriately when I found him.
Cowgirl,
Wait for tomorrows pron of the verde with Round-up biscuits! I have never done either that way before, but I figure some pepper jack will but the bisquits right where they want to be for the chile.

Phubar,
Phigured you would like the pun. And it turn out real well.
NWBBQ,
Thanks, recipe i picked up in Colorado years ago, but I gotta admit I am wishing I had tossed in a chipotle or two.
Hugh,
Like most idiots Demon is crazy. I named him appropriately when I found him.
Cowgirl,
Wait for tomorrows pron of the verde with Round-up biscuits! I have never done either that way before, but I figure some pepper jack will but the bisquits right where they want to be for the chile.

That does sound good!!

You can almost taste all the flavor in that right over the internet. Looks delicious.

I could eat everything in the first picture alone, as is! Fantastic looking Red!!!
(love the cats too)

lotsa good stuff in that pot. I call them chipotles chili concentrate or the essense of chili - good stuff.

RTB ... tasting and smelling online will be the next internet innovation!
Momma ... the kitties are the closest thing to Jack I have in my life. They normally don't eat as good as he does, but I gotta treat 'em every know and again.
3 Rivs ... Thanks for the complement
West Tex ... now if I could only make that green appear in my pocket
GD ... essence of chili ... I like that ... make a nice name for a product line
Bob ... got a think for a west Texas boy that is quite a compliment. Thanks
Dan ... It not only looks great, but to paraphrase an old TV commercial ...Taste great! ... More filling!

I'm trying some green chilli w/leftover pork myself.

I tossed in some white beans and hominy. I guess it's more of a cross between chili verde and pozole. Plan on serving with cornbread.

Back