WSM 18 - How much coal for seasoning?

crabjoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Never used a smoker but have the WSM 18. I'm in the process of getting it seasoned and wanted to know how much coal to put into it.

I started with 1 Weber chimney full of coal. I figured it would be enough to season it. Didn't want it buring for 5 or 6 hours.

One chimney of Western Lump coal burning for 20 mins has the built-in temp gauge running at 300. All vents are open.

Will it get hotter than 300 or should I add more coal? Will 300 be enough heat to get it seasoned?

I'm unsure exactly where I stand right now.

Thanks!

No need to season a WSM. Cook something.

I'm going to disagree.. There's some kind of coating on the grates that I feel, and IMHO, it either needs to be burned off or washed off.

X4 on no real reason to season a WSM. Body is hard coated inside and out and the racks/grates just need a wash to get the manufacturing residue off them. Then cook something. Fattie or chicken wings work great (fattie low and slow, and wings hot). Your call....

Went out to check the progress... I think I need to do it again with more coals for more heat.

The temp had dropped to 200F, so I opened up the panel to look at the coals.. There were still a few coals left, but what struck me was the smell.

Opening the panel, I got a good whiff of what smelled like burning petroleum. Yup, it smelled like gas or something along those lines.. Whatever it is, and I doubt it was the coals, since the coals smelled fine, isn't done burning off... I think it's going to need to burn much hotter than 300F...

One tip I will give you for the WSM (really any wood or charcoal fired smoker). When making a temp adjustment, make it in small airflow increments and then WAIT. Give the fire time to adjust to the change in air flow. Fire takes a while to either choke down or flare up depending on if you closed a vent a little or opened one up a little. Give it at least 15 minutes before you even think about touching anything. Otherwise you can end up chasing a yo-yo temp swing down and up if you don't get the fire time to react fully. It's not rocket science, but you do need patience when making temp adjustments. Once a WSM is steady, it will usually stay rock steady at that temp. And later if you discover the world of "power drafts" such as the BBQ Guru and other computer controlled air flow devices, it's almost as automatic as setting the indoor oven (and stays at the set temp as long as there is fuel to burn).

I had about the same issue with my first burnout. I filled a chimney with kbb, and it didnt quite get to 350f before dropping, I just opened the side door and tossed a few/bunch more handfuls of kbb on top, and she shot right past 350f for a few hrs.

I went with a half basket of Charcoal and left the vents open till 350 then adjusted and kept it 350+/- until the fire died and temp dropped below 200. The grates were not in, nor the water bowl. After that, I just started cooking, Break In Fatty first!

I never said not to wash it. It is porcelein coated steel. You are not going to affect it with a bit of charcoal.

Back