EGG w/table on a wood deck ....fire hazard??

H

hammerz_nailz

I am in the process of building a new cooking area and was wondering what everyone's general thoughts were about a BGE w/table on a wood deck attached to the house.
Even though there are a lot of photos with eggs on decks ...I remember a year ago or so, someone posted a pic on here of a fire that was caused by a cooker on an attached wood deck.
So ...those that have an egg on a deck have you had any problems?

I think that was a drum that the guy had sitting directly on his deck, not blocked up on bricks or on wheels. Totally different situation than an egg, and especially if it is in a table. Make sure you have some sort of brick/block/tile between the bottom of your egg and the shelf of the table it will be sitting on, though.

i just used the patio type blocks you can get from HD or walmart and it works fine.. like McGURK said any type brick or block will work..i have always had my eggs in a table..but i would think the bricks or block would work on a deck the same as a table..i did try useing floor tiles when i frist got my eggs i liked the look but it did crack but thats all it did other than that it worked fine.. never did burn my table.. just cracked thats when i went with the thicker type of block .. i hope this helps

I have had mine on my deck for 2 1/2 years with no problems. The Egg is on raised feet and a thick ceramic tile on the table. There isn't enough heat transfer in my case to cause a problem.

The only problem my deck has with my egg being on it is the two times I dropped a mostly full drip pan full of grease from butt :)

I keep mine on my deck in the nest and never had an issue. I remember the photo you were talking about. It was indeed an egg that caught the persons deck/house on fire. I remember the dome was on the ground and they had the electric charcoal starter on the ground as well. Don't recall what caused the fire, if it had something to do with the electric starter.

EDIT: found the link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64170&highlight=egg+fire+deck

They make a spark arresting mesh screen for the intake on the egg.

I had my egg in a nest on my deck for several years before moving to my current house, which has a concrete patio. If anything, you can put one of those anti-fire grill pads under the egg.

Back