MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoked, Roasted All-Belly Porchetta!

I think I am in love with pork belly, but my family and I almost went hungry waiting on it to finish! I misread the directions that I modified and thought it would be done in 2 1/2 hours, but realized there was another two hours that I missed! I didn't realize that pork belly was a tough cut like a Boston butt and required the collagen to be break down into gelatin. And my yeast rolls were not too happy about being refrigerated before baking and you could tell it after they came out of the oven.

I based it off that Seriouseats.com all belly porchetta recipe. I made a rub out of garlic, rosemary, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and cracked black pepper and scored the inside in a cross hatch and rubbed it in deep. I poked about 1000 holes in the skin with my knife as well! Rolled it, brushed on a bit of olive oil to make the salt stick to the outside, salted the skin, and let it sit for about two hours at room temp. The direction on Serious Eats says to roaste at 300 degrees for two hours till it hits 160 internal, but I wanted some smokey flavor so I did that part with my Mini WSM and just a LITTLE, not much at all, applewood smoke. Then tented it with foil but not wrapped tight and put it in my oven for two more hours at 300 (part I almost missed) till it hit 180 exactly. I used the oven for the second half because I was having a hard time regulating the Mini for some reason and also I didn't want to get too much smoke at all. I just wanted a hint of it, and maybe using the oven was sacrilege, but I don't think I would've ever gotten the golden brown and crispy skin like I did from the oven. Next pork belly I get though I am going to smoke.

Anywho, then I cranked the oven up to 500 and removed the foil and let the skin crisp up. I let it go for just a minute too long at 500 while I was putting ice in our glasses and the edges got a bit browner than what I wanted but it was still so good, not burnt tasting at all. It is crazy how it can go from golden brown to dark brown and I'm sure black on no time. I then tented it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes while the homemade rolls baked in the oven. The door had to remain open to cool the oven a good bit no doubt so the rolls didn't burn! The rendered fat was poured over the skin as soon as it came out of the oven as well. Sizzled so good!

I have never cooked anything with the pork skin still on and I sure didn't expect to get that good of results from my first go around. It was as crispy and as salty as a good chicharrón. I was expecting something either hard and chewy or soft and flaccid. I was pretty proud and my family loved it!

BTW, a lot of recipes I looked at before deciding on the Serious Eats one said a parboil would help the cooking go along and also render a lot of the fat out. I really can't see that being true unless the pork belly has a TON of fat. This one was on the leaner side I think, but then again I've never worked with a pork belly so I might be talking nonsense.

Either way, it was beautiful when sliced and none of us were able to eat the half slice because it was so, so rich. Almost too rich!(NOT!) Crunchy, very lightly smoky, tender and moist, and gave a lot of different textures and flavors I've never had in pork, or any meat dish for that matter. I think I like this prep for pork belly more than bacon, and that's really saying something considering how much I love a good crisp piece of bacon!

Here's the pictures though. It didn't get dark on the outside from the smoker which I was really glad of since I wanted that skin to be bubbly and golden brown all over. Probably stayed light colored because the smoke was so light and was only hitting it for such a short time.

Wanted to show these off too, my momma got them for me from somewhere and framed them for my kitchen. She knows me too well. Best mom in the world if ya ask me!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh man, that looks delicious.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

That's some beautiful work right there.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

Wow that looks great easily could see something that nice selling for quite a high price in good butcher meat cases ! Really nice thanks for the pron

Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! It would look really cool if the whole thing was longer and wouldn't have been such a short section of the belly. Can't complain though, that piece of it was $5.54 at the Asian Market. You really can't beat that when it feeds four people really well.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Perfect skin & juices running out - heaven. Thank you.
John

Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Pork poetry... it looks so beautiful. I have a pork belly in the freezer, and now I have a plan for it!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Phubar

Nailed it big time!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Wampus

That looks amazing. AMAZING!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I'm about to try another one of these out and am about to roll it. One end has ALOT of fat on it and the other is lean. Would you put the extremely fatty end in the center or roll it to the outside? I know you guys have a lot more experience working with fat and getting it to render and keep big cuts juicy.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Bravo there Mon! That looks killer
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Lupus
Found some matches.

That looks awesome! The skin looks amazing! :)
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
BobM
Babbling Farker

That looks great!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote