Advice: Fix or Junk My Gasser

kevinc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a Perfect Flame 2518SL-LPG that has served me for about 8 years.

About a year ago, I had to replace the burner tubes because one had rusted out. About 6 months ago, we moved to temporary housing where I didn't use my grill but it sat outside under a cover.

After we moved, I attempted ot use the grill and noticed that the part of the firebox where the burner tubes connect is rusted out as well (which lets gas escape and flares up).

Below are some pics of the firebox (with the grill grates and flame tamers removed) which you can see is pretty nasty (and rust is starting to form) as well as the burners in question where the parts have rusted out.

tTehawH.jpg

S1gniBM.jpg

Is this even fixable? I had a HELL of a time just getting the old burners off due to the years of built up crud and whatnot, I can't imagine replacing these parts or the entire firebox itself. I don't even see user replaceable parts on their website: http://www.clagrills.com/allgrillparts/perfectflame/perfectflame-model-2518sl-lpg.htm

Thoughts?

Damn, I cannot seem to make these images smaller. Sorry

I vote "junk it". Go shopping :))

I went through this drill a few years ago with a Kenmore gasser. I replaced the same parts you are talking about and ended up having to junk it about a year later anyway because other parts started rusting out. I would cut your losses and junk it now.

Re: junking it.

Is this something the local metal recycler / scrapyard would take? I imagine theres probably a good bit of recyclable metal in there that should be worth _something_ to someone.

Re: junking it.

Is this something the local metal recycler / scrapyard would take? I imagine theres probably a good bit of recyclable metal in there that should be worth _something_ to someone.

where I live if I put it on my curb the night before garbage day, it would be gone by the time I walked up to the house

seriously

Several years ago I tried to fix my old gasser - I say tried to fix - I replaced everything fine but it never did really burn the same. I say you got your money's worth time to upgrade.

I would cut my losses and junk it. For the costs and continued headache of fixing it, you may be able to find a used but-in-good-condition Weber on Craigslist. Mine's going on 13+ years now.

Junk it. Always need an excuse to get a new cooker.

If it wasn't $700 for the Weber Genesis that I want, it would have been done by now :)

I know the spirit is cheaper but my father has one and I don't like how the plastic knobs and handles heat up.

After we moved, I attempted ot use the grill and noticed that the part of the firebox where the burner tubes connect is rusted out as well (which lets gas escape and flares up).

This is about the point in your post when I sealed my "junk it" vote...

where I live if I put it on my curb the night before garbage day, it would be gone by the time I walked up to the house

Same here. I put an old gasser out that had similar problems to the OP several years ago (I cut the gas line off because the thing was an explosion waiting to happen and wanted to make sure whoever took it couldn't hook it up without making repairs). Put it outside with a little "free, take me" sign on it, and it was gone in about 30 minutes.

Back to the OP's dilemma, if you're not in the market for a Weber right now, I'd at least replace your current gas grill with a new mid-level gasser. I have an older version of this one from Home Depot myself, and while it's no weber, i'm pretty happy with it for weeknight grilling...

Buy the best and cry once!

If it wasn't $700 for the Weber Genesis that I want, it would have been done by now :)

I know the spirit is cheaper but my father has one and I don't like how the plastic knobs and handles heat up.

Replace it, I had one and there some safety concerns going around about it.

Take out your credit card. Get your brides fingernail file or Emory board. File the edges on that sucker so it will zip right thru the machine like a hot knife thru butter. Get that high dollar Weber and get to cooking. 700 is a lot of money- until you go to buy something with it.

You can't go wrong with Quality. Do it right-once

Back