MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
fat heads bbq
On the road to being a farker

Default concession trailer help

Hi my name is Mike. I live in NC. I finally have enough funds to purchase a small concession trailer for the spring. I would love to hear from people about
their experiences when they purchased their trailers. I could use any and all
suggestions about setup, and dealers, equipment, etc. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

We need some more information. What do you plan on selling? How many event or where do you plan on selling your product? Do you need a commercial kitchen or just somewhere to sell? O you have a business plan? That is just a start.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Trailer and equipment budget info helps also if you don't mind sharing.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
fat heads bbq

Here are some answers to the questions asked. not a very fast typer so forgive me if I don't have a lot of detail. this took me forever.

Q: What do I plan on selling?
A: Basics, Pulled pork, Chicken qtrs/halves. I think those are the easiest to start with. I can always do ribs and brisket if there is a demand for it. would like to do home made sides. Again basics coleslaw, pot salad, beans, hush puppies etc.

Q: How many events or where am I planning to sell?
A: Local festivals, flea markets, road side, micro breweries, office complex. Places alike.
This would just be a weekend thing. Fridays and Saturdays to start. Regular job M-Th.

Q: Do you need a commercial kitchen?
A: Yes. But I have this covered. Friend owns a restaurant. And will help.

Q: Do I have a business plan?
A: No. I will work on that with help from another friend of mine.

Q: Trailer and equipment budget?
A: 15k-18k
Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

You can get a starter 7x16ft trailer new for around 15K provided you already have a smoker this would leave you 3k for refrigerator and steam table. That is barely enough to get sandwiches sold but it can work provided you put everything back into the business to get everything you need.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
fat heads bbq

HBMTN how do you like your FEC 120?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat heads bbq View Post
HBMTN how do you like your FEC 120?
So far yes, I have only had it a few months and have been working through kinks and adjustments. I have an extensive thread going here- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=174683 showing my pro's/cons/issues. It's seems to be getting better with time and I am tweaking on a few tricks to get smoke the way I want. The real test will come when I load it down which I have yet to do. I cooked some righteous BBQ on it last night that I would have been happy to enter in a competition.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a concession trailer a year ago. I wish I had the opportunity to rebuild it. My suggestions:

-Buy as big of a trailer as you can afford. You'll wish you had more space later. Mine is 22' (8' porch) and I would kill for another 4 feet in there.
-Buy as big of a cooker as you can afford! I bought a cadillac cooker 36x72 but I REALLY should have got the next size up, with the stacked rotisserie racks. Effectively doubles the space and only takes up an extra 1' of the length of the trailer. (I highly recommend this brand, and they are pretty reasonably priced)
-Have the manufacturer rough in the wiring for every piece of equipment you may put in down the line (your budget probably won't permit everything going in at the start). Range hood, AC, cooker on the back, hot water heater, water pump, etc. Also rough in all the propane lines to the equipment.
-Put in 1 door only, to the porch of the trailer. I wish I could get the space back where I put in my 2nd door.
-Get the proper sliding glass window instead of the pop-up one. You can forget about heat / ac with that damn thing.

I got mine from Freedom Trailers through Cole's RV. The dealer was a nightmare, I wouldn't use 'em. The trailer from Freedom showed very poor craftsmanship, but they were the lowest bidder. I hear diamond trailers (also south georgia) has a solid warranty.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

As far as trailers are concerned, I started with just a plain 7x14 tandem axle. No electricity, no water, you get the point. I did have rubber tread plate put down on the floor and the walls and ceiling lined with white metal liners. The whole point of mentioning that was this, I got mine from Diamond Cargo Outlets in S. Ga. I had the trailer built to the 6'9" height. They do it a little different. Most diamond brand trailers come in at 6'0" interior, but Diamond Cargo Outlets come at 6'3". So I added 6" to take me to 6'9". When diamond got the order they just added 6" to there normal which would put the total at 6'6". So I got there to pick it up and it was too short. UGH! After a 4 hour drive I was not happy! BUT, I immediately noticed it, told the manager there. They built me a new one in less than a week, made it 7' interior height(instead of the 6'9") and delivered! They made it right and the quality is great.
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
danno79
Knows what a fatty is.

I am not sure what the local laws are like where you are, but I had to get a peddler's permit, a grocery permit (witch allowed me to store food in my home freezer's etc.), a surety bond, not to mention liability insurance.
danno79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a 24' trailer with a 7' back porch with smoker on it. fully equipped with smoker, 36" flat top, fryer, Hatco 3 drawer warmer, refrigerated sandwich unit, freezer, refrigerator, exhaust hood, and sink. We are opening a restaurant in Mooresville NC and have this trailer for sale. It is inspected and has a grade.
Jeff Therrell
828-493-5056
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Therrell View Post
I have a 24' trailer with a 7' back porch with smoker on it. fully equipped with smoker, 36" flat top, fryer, Hatco 3 drawer warmer, refrigerated sandwich unit, freezer, refrigerator, exhaust hood, and sink. We are opening a restaurant in Mooresville NC and have this trailer for sale. It is inspected and has a grade.
Jeff Therrell
828-493-5056
What is a grade?

Do you have a link for a add?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
SigSauerNY

I have been contemplating a trailer for a while, and every time I get started its turns from 15-18k to 35/40k

if anyone has a trailer company that makes a reliable well built trailer and has the ability to outfit the trailer with sinks, exhaust, equipment, and maybe some other items for a added fee I would greatly appreciate the lead.

sorry to cut in, thanks.
SigSauerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
What is a grade?

Do you have a link for a add?
It has a sanitation grade from the health dept. In North Carolina if you roadside vend you are inspected just like a restaurant, you just don't have to have 3 sinks. You have to have 1 sink and a handwash sink. I don't have an add, just decided to sell.
Thanks, Jeff
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauerNY View Post
I have been contemplating a trailer for a while, and every time I get started its turns from 15-18k to 35/40k

if anyone has a trailer company that makes a reliable well built trailer and has the ability to outfit the trailer with sinks, exhaust, equipment, and maybe some other items for a added fee I would greatly appreciate the lead.

sorry to cut in, thanks.
I bought my trailer new with extended height and spent 2 months building it myself and still had almost $30,000 in it. I also built the smoker that is on the back.