MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Default Jack’s Old South BBQ School Review – My weekend at Myron Mixon’s House

I read a lot of things on this and other fourms about Myron's Cook School and the price as well as attendance being down. I will say that a lot of his recipes are in his book as some said and they guy sitting next to me (there were over 60 people in the class and it was sold out as well as the class I missed which they were nice enough to let me come to the next one) had the book and some things are the close but a lot are updated. Was it worth $750 - if you look at the fact that he spend over $5000 just on Wagu briskets for the whole class as well as shoulder, butt, ribs and chicken as well as all they fed you and you were able to drink (yeah he had kegs) along with the experience and questions your were able to ask.

I am a photographer and I took a ton of pictures as well but I will give you a quick view of what my review of the class was:

I will say that all my experimenting and everything else really didn’t pan out as well as once I started to watch BBQ Pitmasters on TLC… I’m sure many of us didn’t know as much as we do since the introduction of that show or at least I’m willing to admit it!! I have had an electric smoker and then purchased a Big Green Egg when I started trying to get more serious. I wanted to learn a little more about controlling a fire and getting the amount of smoke into my meat that I wanted which with an electric smoker is much easier and since I will never compete I will tell you that a really good electric smoker could be in my future. I really like the Jack’s Old South line and I would invest and was most likely going to do it until I really just thought about the costs and space commitment that it will require for me. I don’t have enough space or need for the size that is but who knows…. with me I could end up getting one someday. My main problem with the egg is cook space… I have the large and even considered getting an extra large as well but the problem really is just the cook space… I know there are several ways to extend and so forth… this is not a story about the egg.
I became a KCBS Certified BBQ judge and have traveled all over the country including Mesquite, NV for Grilling in Mesquite, which was a highlight for me. I was hopping my mug would get on TV but not sure I ever saw it. Having the ability to meet Myron, Johnny, Tuffy and many others on the show and some that aren’t including Ray Lumpier / DR. BBQ is always a treat and I will tell you that they are not what they seem on TV at all. Some are nicer and some aren’t at all! Myron is nothing like his TV persona or at least not as you would think from an approachability perspective – he is very approachable, takes pictures with everyone, and talks to anyone and laughs and jokes. Sure he wants to win and his cocky about it but heck when you have won as much as him and you continue to… WHY NOT BE!

Here is the rest of the article if you would like to read more:

http://nicktoday.com/jacks-old-south...-mixons-house/

Personally - it was worth the money to me of just making two new friends in Tampa that our families have become friends and cook together. That alone as well as the food was amazing experience.
bbqstudio is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's Ray Lampe.

Great review and fantastic photos!

What camera/lenses are you using?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Great review!

I've wondered how the school would be.

It may be in my future!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Great review! I've been thinking if doing that class now for a year. I probably will too.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Great write up! That is my dream class...

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE that I've talked to who has taken his class has said it was worth every penny, whether they did it to help them with their competition team, or just improve their own BBQ at home.

I'm glad you had a good time.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
That's Ray Lampe.

Great review and fantastic photos!

What camera/lenses are you using?
Oops ;) ill correct that. As far as the class I brought a canon 5d mark 3 and Sony a55 I believe. I have a full line of Sony and canon equip,ent. Thanks for the correction ill update :)

Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
JOMANCHU
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the review. Always wondered if it would be worth it.
JOMANCHU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the review. I haven't heard or read a bad thing about his class yet.
It's on my wish list of things to do.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I am glad people like the class.

60 people is a stupid number. Sure it keeps the hero worship at a high and makes guys forget they are Bbq nerds, but too many for real learning.

We would sue a public school for half that many kids in a classroom and this is only @20 hours.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
I am glad people like the class.

60 people is a stupid number. Sure it keeps the hero worship at a high and makes guys forget they are Bbq nerds, but too many for real learning.

We would sue a public school for half that many kids in a classroom and this is only @20 hours.
Well, he has a staff of 20 people working there as well each table has one of his cook teams with them as well has he comes to each table while your doing prep. From someone that has been to the class I could say that I had as much 1:1 time and i wanted as well as he had open Q&A with him after each second of prep, meat and meal... I would ask people that have actually been to the class for their perspective on 1 on 1 time and I believe you will get the same opinion as myself.

My daughter sits in a college class with 100's of people in it so I guess it just depends on your learning style. Class might not be for everyone - it is expensive and it's the middle of nowhere, you might night like a TV persona or you might just not think you need it. All fair points - for me it will be something I never forget, well worth the money and great that I made new local friends.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice review. Thank you.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstudio View Post
Well, he has a staff of 20 people working there as well each table has one of his cook teams with them as well has he comes to each table while your doing prep. From someone that has been to the class I could say that I had as much 1:1 time and i wanted as well as he had open Q&A with him after each second of prep, meat and meal... I would ask people that have actually been to the class for their perspective on 1 on 1 time and I believe you will get the same opinion as myself.

My daughter sits in a college class with 100's of people in it so I guess it just depends on your learning style. Class might not be for everyone - it is expensive and it's the middle of nowhere, you might night like a TV persona or you might just not think you need it. All fair points - for me it will be something I never forget, well worth the money and great that I made new local friends.
Yeah, that is what they do to undergraduates, in classes for that have a lot of non majors in it. Funny thing, almost all graduate classes are small. As are most classes that are specialized for a particular major.

And the fact that they are over a semester and not two days.

So.... not really a direct correlation.

I just stated my opinion. I can have my opinion and you can think you got value for your money at the same time.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
BurninTree BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Nice review

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Great review and it sounds like it's more than worth the price. My wife actually asked me If I wanted to go, she was going to give me the trip for a Christmas present this year but I wanted a new shotgun instead.