MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #9571
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsirks View Post

P.S. DEFINITELY don't go with a side mount thermometer! 120 degree difference between it and the grate thermometer I put in "just to check."
Those two images cannot be seen!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #9572
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsirks View Post

P.S. DEFINITELY don't go with a side mount thermometer! 120 degree difference between it and the grate thermometer I put in "just to check."

At one point I was measuring 150 on my lid , 225 on the outside edge of the top grate , and 350 in the middle of the bottom grate. This is my only complaint about the UDS , kind of hard to judge a cook time with the temps so wildly different throughout the drum.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9573
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog View Post
At one point I was measuring 150 on my lid , 225 on the outside edge of the top grate , and 350 in the middle of the bottom grate. This is my only complaint about the UDS , kind of hard to judge a cook time with the temps so wildly different throughout the drum.
With the use of the angle iron on a grate near the fire, I don't get nearly that much difference. The lid, however, still does show a lot less.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #9574
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome Jim.

Ahhhhh...I remember when my drum was all new and freshly painted. Shiny new weber 22.5" grate inside. Here we are about 3 years later and she's still pumping out great BBQ. Getting about time to replace with a new one (I use it a LOT).
Great 1st cook. Keep it up!!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #9575
lwdbo
Found some matches.

Default uds llid please help

hello everone ..im a new come here and like all the rest i need help..lol
i bought a 55 gal stainless steel barrel because i didnt want to deal with the burn outs , sanding etc...
my intentions were to have to cooking grates and use the weber top.
now here lyes my problem//
the barrel is 23" not 22.5"
any suggestions ??
i was thinking to cut it and weld a 1/2 piece but a friend of mine said that the metal is to thin and it will warp..
any suggestions will help
thank you in advance !!
lwdbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #9576
richman123
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thumbs up The BBQ Chronicles - An Ugly Drum Smoker Story

My journey to build a UDS. in photo! Hope it helps someone.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=5b59f6594d
richman123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #9577
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwdbo View Post
i bought a 55 gal stainless steel barrel because i didnt want to deal with the burn outs , sanding etc...
any suggestions ??
i was thinking to cut it and weld a 1/2 piece but a friend of mine said that the metal is to thin and it will warp..
thank you in advance !!
Search for the thread by JMSeltzer on his mod of putting a strip of metal along the top of his drum so his Webber lid would fit without banging it out of shape. It is a simple but effective mod.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #9578
inraged2002
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Has anyone had experience using grape wood in their smokers? I know here where I live a lot of people use grape stumps for firewood but didn't know how it would work to smoke meat.
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #9579
MattCom
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwdbo View Post
any suggestions ??
thank you in advance !!
I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
I used ss bolts with a lock-nut assmbly to support the grates.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #9580
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Got the little UDS done finally! Made it to haul in the toyhauler!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #9581
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Hi all - assembling the parts for my first UDS build. Question - if I buy a brand new drum, I'm assuming the whole food grade/not food grade thing goes out the window. I'm sure my HOA wouldn't appreciate me doing a burn in my backyard to get rid of a lining.

Thanks,
Rick
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #9582
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog View Post
I've got at least a dozen or more cooks done on my UDS , most of the food that has come off of it has been wonderful. I have read the ENTIRE UDS thread , but I still have a couple of questions for the "pros".
1. My UDS has extreme hot and cold spots , varying as much as 50 degrees over different points on my grates , my charcoal basket is wide and low and I tend to spread my lit coals around on top of my unlit coals. So my question is , will a diffuser of some sort help with this , and will it create any "new" issues od it's own if I did use one.

2. I sprayed down the inside of my drum with PAM before my first cook , and have cooked several fatties , so for the most part the inside of the drum is pretty greasy , but it's still starting to rust on certain spots , is there a need to "re-season" every once in a while , or is this normal?

3. I need suggestions for a thermometer , I started out with one of those turkey fry thermometers , it lasted about 3 cooks. Lately I have been using my digital probe through a block of wood sitting on one of the grates but would prefer a side mounted solution. What would be a good thermometer to use? I don't mind paying a little more for a good one , or two.

4. Where should I be reading temps at? between my two grates? Or should I have one just below each grate? I find that if I get my digital too close to the meat it messes with the reading , so I'd appreciate some suggestions here.
I was in the same exact boat as you and was convinced that I needed to make a diffuser. After reading a lot on diffusers and coming up with a tentative design, I wound up going a different route. I was walking down the aisle in "Tractor Supply" and came across the dog bowls. The largest stainelss steel dog bowl I they had looked perfect, so I purchased it. I layed some 5/8 cold roll across the top of the coal basket to support the bowl. I then filled the bowl with water. The temps are within 3 degrees from the inner and outer edges of the grate where in the past the center was 40-50 degrees warmer. so for like 15 bucks the problem is solved.

the bowl mightve been this since i dont see a larger size on the site

http://www.tractorsupply.com/spot-mi...10-qt--2427363
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #9583
lwdbo
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
I used ss bolts with a lock-nut assmbly to support the grates.
thanks alot for the advice !!!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #9584
D-BE-QUEIN224
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post
Hi all - assembling the parts for my first UDS build. Question - if I buy a brand new drum, I'm assuming the whole food grade/not food grade thing goes out the window. I'm sure my HOA wouldn't appreciate me doing a burn in my backyard to get rid of a lining.

Thanks,
Rick
it has to be unlined if you dont want to burn so if you buy new specify that you want an unlined drum.
D-BE-QUEIN224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #9585
lwdbo
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Search for the thread by JMSeltzer on his mod of putting a strip of metal along the top of his drum so his Webber lid would fit without banging it out of shape. It is a simple but effective mod.
just found... seems to be simple easy fix... thanks for ur help !!!!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker