A Venison Pastrami Sandwich

I have a freezer full of venison rump roasts from the 3 doe I killed this year, and I've been wanting to make venison pastrami for a while. Seeing this post is going to push me to do it.

Kevin I hope you give it a try... let me know how it goes if you do! Thanks :-D

Aaaaa! meat comes from dead animals? NOOOO! That does look like a good sandwich Jeanie.

lol Bob...Thanks for the laugh!! I really have received reactions like that from people who think meat comes from a store. lol :becky:

e51592f5-1.jpg

I really didn't shoot a deer just for a sandwich...

Deguerre is imagining a whole deboned cured and smoked venison carcass served on the world's biggest hoagie roll...

I don't even like deer but it sure looks great. BTW what temp did you take it to, also I know a lot of people like the gamey taste of deer, do you think the curing took some of it out?

Deguerre is imagining a whole deboned cured and smoked venison carcass served on the world's biggest hoagie roll...

lol Guerry!! Sounds doable to me!! :becky: Thanks.. :thumb:

I don't even like deer but it sure looks great. BTW what temp did you take it to, also I know a lot of people like the gamey taste of deer, do you think the curing took some of it out?

Thanks Jestridge! I take it to an IT of 165F. I pull it off the heat a little early and let it sit (still in the stock).

I cook a lot of deer meat, this pastrami tastes more like pastrami than the regular wild deer flavor. Not sure if that makes sense. lol I love the flavor of fresh deer when it's been handled right (field dressed, etc.) but I love this pastrami flavor too.
The pastrami seasonings and curing process DO change the flavor of the deer meat.
Hope you give it a try sometime! Thanks again... :-D

Back