• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

By Request: Chile Verde Recipe

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Seems like we had a few requests for the Missus's Chile Verde, which I posted a few days ago:

IMG_0903-1.jpg

So here it is:

Chile Verde

Ingredients:

2 Pounds of pork stew meat or pork shoulder roast
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 Poblano chiles
3 Anaheim chiles
2 Jalapenos
5-20 Chile de Arbol, stems removed (Use less if you want your chile verde mild, use more if you like it hot)
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
4 Tomatillos
1 Tbsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bottle or can of beer of choice
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp flour
½ cup cold water

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut pork into small bite sized pieces and brown in a skillet with vegetable oil in 2 separate batches. Place cooked meat into a dutch oven. Grill the anaheims, poblanos, and jalapenos until skin is black. Also grill onion and tomatillos until slightly soft and browned. Place chilies in a brown paper bag to soften for about 20 mins.

Remove skin and seeds from the blackened chilies and place in a blender with onion, garlic, tomatillos, chili de arbol and chicken broth. DO NOT WASH THE CHILES. Blend until smooth and add to meat in the dutch oven. Add the coriander, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt and pepper. Pour beer into mixture and stir until combined.

Place covered dutch oven in preheated oven and cook for approximately 2 hours or until pork is fork tender. Combine flour and cold water into a slurry and pour into chile verde mixture. Cook an additional 30 minutes with dutch oven cover removed stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and serve with tortillas, cheese and sprinkle of cilantro. Can also be used in burritos or enchiladas. Enjoy!

Moose, thanks for this! Perfect timing, just as it is getting cooler out!

You ever try masa de harina instead of flour to thicken your chili? In a small quantity it can be pretty good, but does add some cornemeal taste. I sometimes use arrowroot too, which is tastless.

I've never seen beer in a chili verda recipe, but hey, I love beer so I gotta try it!!

This might be on the menu for this weekend. I am a Chili Verde fiend. :twisted:

Thanks Moose!

I just roasted and froze a bushel of Hatch chilis, this looks like a good recipe to try with them.

Back