Testing Mode - Side Dishes: BEANS

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Ma
Well thanks to the contributions of you folks in Q talk, especially Mark, Mike Greg Phil, Brian carl, Dave , etc.....(hey wait. I just realized we got a shitload of regular posters. You new guys, join in!!). I started testing side dishes for the big T day.

Well today, in a farking rain that got me soaked in under a minute, I did pineapple with some of your suggestions. did the brown sugar cinnamon type mixture, patted into the pineapple. Wife said "okay, this is what I want on the Tday table" I told her about the chili powder suggestion. She said, lets go, and thats on for tomorrow menu.

I didn't get to try David's Bush Beans recipe, and there is only one or two in the recipe section. So lets put out a call for the bean pot recipes on this thread.

Next week, I'll ask your advice on wings (but Josh, I don't want something thats gonna burn my asshole off. Remember, 23 people running for the terlet at one time is NOT a good thing.)

So fellas, you helped me with the pineapples, so now, bean me.

PS got a big ass cast iron pot from Al, so I'm making enough for all. 2 days, Tday, then another 15 or so on Friday.

Brian's Baked beans
2 cans Kroger Pork & Beans
2 tablespoons Yellow Mustard (Cheap POOPIE)
1 Cup Brown Sugar Mix togethter throw in a baking dish with a few slabs of bacon, Bake at 350 for a hour.

With regards to 23 people running to the terlett seeems like at the bash that many where running to the toilet after the turds. Phil accused me of hanging onto the oven for balance. Hell I was just trying not to POOPIE all over myself.

15 Ounce cans multiply accordingly.

I've got a great bean recipe that might work for you. I'll run it down but the main difference is you put browned sausage in it. Holly Moly it is good!

John
BamaSmoker
Sanders

I found this on the Web and have been thinking about trying it. I'm not sure who came up with this but it sounds pretty good and very different. I think you could substitute bacon if you wanted.

APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS

2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans
½ c. Heinz catsup
1 lb. Ground sausage
1 can apple pie filling
1 medium onion, chopped
½ green pepper
½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)

Brown sausage, onion and green pepper. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour. Serves 12.

Bill, ours is bout like Mikes minus the apple stuff & sausage, instead put a lb of bacon in it chopped up instead of just laying across the top......put some comfort in it too

Butt Kickin' Texas Pintos

I served this at the last super bowl party. By the fourth quarter, there was a green cloud hanging around the ceiling :oops:

1 pound pintos soaked overnight
1 onion
2 - ? jalapenos (I use 6 - 7)
4 cloves garlic
2 - 3 T of a good chili powder
1 T ground cumin
8 oz or however much you want diced ham or hamhock (I've used just about any meat I smoke).
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
6 oz beer

Add everything and cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer slow for 3 - 4 hours till the beans are soft. Add cilantro to garnish if you like that stuff.

Serve over rice :D

You know Mark, my problem is that when I soak beans, they never soften up properly.

I'll soak them overnight, bring them to a boil, then rinse and soak overnight, and I still end up with crunchy beans.

Can anyone help me out here?

PS, I need to use bags, versus cans of beans, cuz of the sodioum. Can't use canned beans (if possible)

Bill, you only need to soak them once. Let them simmer the next day forever if that's what it takes. I even do them in a crockpot for 8 - 10 hours. These are pintos. If you are trying to make some kind os sweet Boston style bean and add sugar, that will toughen 'em up every time.

My recipe calls for bags. Or bulk. I never use canned anything! Except beer 8)

Butt Kickin' Texas Pintos

Serve over rice :D

What a way to FORNICATE up a good pot of beans.

Josh's Bean Recipie...

pound of bacon in cast iron pot... cook on firebox of smoker till bacon is done... (I tend to chop the slices into thirds lengthwise)... in same pot (no draining there lightweights) pour in 2-28oz cans of whateverflavor baked beans you like... then put in whatever rub you are using (if appropriate) if not just some "rub in a jar" will work... add some molasas/brown sugar (whatever you like for sweetness) and whatever hot sauce you like to add some kick/extra flavor... cook for a while in the smoker or on the grill or on the stove... yum...

colt

Bill,
Hang a rack of spares above that cast iron pot and let 'em drip into whatever you use. The last beans I made were the best ever. Big can of Bush pork and beans, half jar of Pace HOT saulsa, Choped geen onions, can of Mushrooms, half of a big purple onion, chopped, one half rotten tomato, half glass of red wine( accident) , some brown sugar, maple surrup, half cup of soy, some worshire, table spoon of head country seasoning. In smoke for 16 hrs. My pall and his wife asked for thirds.

Well this thread was over a year old, but I added it to Roadmap. We were discussing Super Bowl beans on one of the Yahoo sites while this was down today. Now I want to do beans. Davids doctored Bush beans is in the recipe section. Other good ones in this thread. There are others I need to add to Roadmap

Back