MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Default Do contests profit

Do first or even second and third year contests make a profit for charities. How do they market to be profitable.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...
We don't know what goes on in BOD meetings, we don't know what Organizers meet about (well some of them), and we don't know why a judge gave us a 5 when the rest gave us 9's. Why do I stay in this hobby, I don't know either..

Ignorace is bliss in BBQ competition i reckon.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I guess it all depends on the charity. Sometimes I wonder about the smaller ones. I do know that there are usually raffles and such that bring in some extra money for the charities around here.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

It entirely depends on the event.

The location, the size, the scope, the side events, the attendance, the overhead, do attendees pay admission, etc.

As you can imagine, it's a mixed bag. Some do, some don't.

I realize that doesn't help much. Sorry.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

[quote=Scottie;824802]well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...[/quote]

Are they not supose too.
It seems in the packet from the KCBS that there is little if any Blue sky for the Organization that the event is held for. We are thinking of holding an event at our Eagles club. Each year we have our annual Eagles Cancer telethon. The telethon raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for research and this year is the 55th annual. We would like to have a contest that would make some money for the event.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cool, let me know the dates. I am all for raising money for cancer research....

My last comment was more of a jab at some of the contest organizers in another thread, that didn't want any insight from us cooks...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
We don't know what goes on in BOD meetings, we don't know what Organizers meet about (well some of them), and we don't know why a judge gave us a 5 when the rest gave us 9's. Why do I stay in this hobby, I don't know either..

Ignorace is bliss in BBQ competition i reckon.

very well said!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

you can make money but dont plan on it thats for shure. i wanted to give to charity but came up 1000 short and i did not have all the kcbs bull chit rules and all there money grabing going on

Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I have some that do well others are designed to break even
Example the $40. entry fee contest with a Christmas Party
and a feed the Troops after the contest
That was not a huge money maker :)
I make more hauling garbage than I do running contests

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Even as a first year event last year, we made SOME for the BIA. I was apparently not privy to know what the final numbers were as we asked over in St. Louis and were ignored.

In a nutshell, our contest has expenses of judging supplies, crappers, dumpsters, ice, band/entertainment, fuel for generator and (if not donated this year), a generator. This year, we'll have awards cost too. Almost all of out entry fees go back to prize pool except for what we pay for sanctioning and rep fees. So, anything that we are able to provide to the charity is what we raise from sponsors in excess of all those expenses I listed above. Not an easy task in this economy. We're HOPING we can clear a couple thousand for March of Dimes this year. Depends on the generousity of three or so of our major sponsors. As organizers, we do it all for free. We don't reimburse ourselves for our time but on a couple of things, we do for out of our own pocket expenses.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I noteworty cause can get you bigger sponsor dollars. For example, Corporate sponsors may have money earmarked for United way spending. If they can sponsor a contest, and get the majority of sponsor dollars to go to thier charity they are usually happy. Some chairities will bring a list of sponsors to you....

Smaller causes, typically get smaller donations earmarked for them... and prize money is typically a function of marketing. How many eyes that advertiser/sponsor will get - they are buying a marketing campaign. Many times, that is tough to come by... which is why if you are after big prize money, or a more polished event - you bring in a professional organizer like some of our brothers here.

Now some of us weak organizers... do our contests in trailer parks, in the dead of winter, where the only prize money is left over $$, after costs are removed from the entry fees!!! So poor payout, but low barrier for entry, and lots of fun. And we dont sanction, to keep as much of the money in the prize pot as possible. (and we dont follow KCBS guidelines,)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I believe that organizing a contest should be as profitable as competing. That being said, as long as you break even in the end, (or make money for the charity) that's part of what really matters. You should do this for the love of it, not to profit from it. I compete in hopes that I can make back what I spent to keep competing. If your passion is to organize a contest, a successful contest, then I wish you the best of luck in hopes that you can make the money back, have fun, and want to organize another great contest next year !

We all have jobs, we make money from that. Let's not turn our fun of BBQ into another job to where we hope to profit from it.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

our contest cost us(actually costs our hosts... a lot!).

No, or minimal sponserhsip, and all entry fees go to the prize pool.

Costs associated? venue, electric, sanitation, water, security, trophies, amenities, etc, they add up. Then add in the sanctioning fee, per team fee and Rep charges from KCBS. Without good sponsors, someone has to pay.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I sat down with some event companies and a local organization and after putting it on paper, it's a lot of work for a potential huge loss! Kudos to organizers

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote