Leg of lamb

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sister in law has leg of lamb she would like cooked and I volunteered for the job. I've never done any lamb and was wondering if any of you fellas had some input, smoked, grilled, whats the best way to go on these things?

Grilled, for sure. Leave the smoking for the lamb shoulder. Is it bone in ? If so I have some pics from when I boned a leg of lamb for bringing in to work:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremiahsullivan/LambForDataPipe

I like going simple on the seasonings, fresh herbs, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare (130-135). I usually put mine on the rotisserie, but you'll also be fine grilling direct and finishing indirect. I usually shoot for 350-400. If I use wood it's mild like oak, or even some olive if I have it. Not much wood, very little.

Also, forgot to ask, is the leg whole, shank, or butt end? If it's just the shanks then smoking em @225 until tender would be your best bet. Butt portion, or whole, proceed as above.

You can cook them hot and fast or low and slow.

If you're not one who likes the stronger flavor of Lamb, take the fat pocket out next to the bone or next to where the bone would be, if it's been boned out.

If you're going to cook hot and fast, slice into the meat every inch to inch and a half, put a thin slice of Garlic in every third slice, a couple of thyme leaves into one third and a Rosemary leaf in the other third.

Pre-heat the pit to 400 - 425 F, rub down the outside of the leg with Olive Oil, put it on the grate, shut the lid and let it cook at 20 minutes / lb when the outside starts to crisp and crack it's cooked test for Internal to 140 F.

If you want to go low and slow, prep it the same, and cook at 225 F at the grate, cook to 140 F Internal at 45 - 50 minutes / lb before you start testing for done.

140 F Internal will be medium rare, and is where I like to take lamb to, if you go much past 155 you can start to dry it out.

If you cook it at 400* and pull it at 140 it's very likely going to carry over another 5-10 degrees, you might risk over-shooting your desired doneness. Carry over should not be as much of a concern if going low and slow, however I like the caramelization the higher temp produces.

You can cook them hot and fast or low and slow.

If you're not one who likes the stronger flavor of Lamb, take the fat pocket out next to the bone or next to where the bone would be, if it's been boned out.

If you're going to cook hot and fast, slice into the meat every inch to inch and a half, put a thin slice of Garlic in every third slice, a couple of thyme leaves into one third and a Rosemary leaf in the other third.

Pre-heat the pit to 400 - 425 F, rub down the outside of the leg with Olive Oil, put it on the grate, shut the lid and let it cook at 20 minutes / lb when the outside starts to crisp and crack it's cooked test for Internal to 140 F.

If you want to go low and slow, prep it the same, and cook at 225 F at the grate, cook to 140 F Internal at 45 - 50 minutes / lb before you start testing for done.

140 F Internal will be medium rare, and is where I like to take lamb to, if you go much past 155 you can start to dry it out.

That 45-50min estimate is that with bone in or deboned? I'm seriously thinking about deboneing it and then smoking

these are boneless

easterlamb-025.jpg

it's actually animalistic voodoo. i'm trying to influence the sheep down the road :wink:

easterlamb-023.jpg

Well, I ended up boning the leg into steak like pieces/strips. Marinating right now in a mix of cooking sherry, olive oil, w sauce, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano and parsley. I will grill direct to 135/140.

probably too late, but a marinade/slather of yogurt overnight "tones" it down a bit AND makes it stay jucier.... so says the Barefoot Contessa... for grilling that is.

Man that lamb was awesome, I'll post some pics latter today. I've never had it before, tasted like a good cross between venison and steak. Everybody love it, thanks for the tips guys, as always the brethren rock!

Glad the lamb turned out. I didn't see any Dale's Seasoning on your marinade ingredient list...Lamb would take that taste real well...

Here are some pics from the cook. I also cooked two slabs of baby backs. The lamb and ribs were the hit of the labor day get together. Lamb meat frickin' rocks!

0056.jpg

0057.jpg

0058.jpg

0059.jpg

0060.jpg

0061.jpg

0062.jpg

0063.jpg

Looks great! I love lamb.

I second that! looks awsome, i love grilling, smoking, cooking over open camfire in the mountians...

I never have tried lamb but sounds interesting. Might have to give it a try one day.

Mike

Back