Italian smoked pork shoulder

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
An Italian bbq'er sent me an article to post on my blog; I've included some pics here. He's on fire about American BBQ and mixing it with Italian cooking, and he's doing some great looking stuff!

I've invited Frankie to come over here, which I hope he does; if any of you see the entry on my blog, please leave a comment if one comes to mind. I've asked Frankie to look there, too.

He brined the pork shoulder for 4 days, then hanged it to dry before marinating even more.

ps10.jpg

ps18.jpg

ps26.jpg

ps32.jpg

Cool stuff, Curt. So he injected after cooking? Buy the way-- really like the new look of your site.

Matt, yeah... He actually injected during the cook, after marinating, after brining for 4 days. That must have been some moist, flavorful pig!

and Thanks... I was tired of the old look after a year.

I want to see the place this guy has... where that shoulder is hanging looks like a cool place to be cooking

Man, the combination of Old World and New World cooking could be fabulous. Did he give any indication of the moisture in the final product? Looks GREAT!

Arlin,

He said it was very moist, which it would have to be. Hopefully, he'll be on here soon to answer questions himself.

that looks great I bet the bricks are for pressed chicken also?

would love to pick his brain about injecting during cooking:shock:

Hello everybody and thanks to cmcadams!
I'll write about me in the next hours because I'm italian and my english is not so fluent.
That pork shoulder was really fantastic and apple chunks

(Sorry for the previous message, I'm not able to delete it!)

Hello everybody and thanks to cmcadams!
I'll write about me in the next hours because I'm italian and my english is not so fluent(I have to prepare).
That pork shoulder was really fantastic and apple chunks are, IMHO, the most appropriate wood for pork.
Anyhow I used the injector firts and every hour during cooking time and the result was marked. Inoculating marinate while cooking, the liquid fast become hot and "simmer" the meat from the inside producing a sort of "overcook" that break the meat fiber and making it very tender. Also meat is ever moist with a full of flavor. Olive oil ,apple juice and a pinch of salt together, are a unexpected taste that give a little tartness , sweet and a palat smooth because of EVOO.
That was the first time I've smoked meat for so long time and I'm very excited! I'm very skilled in the kitchen and I know a lot of italian secrets but Barbecue is definitively Americans!
Now I ought to learn from all of you because I'm sure that the sophisticated italian cooking style and the Americans BBQ prowess can produce something of magnificent!!
This is my dream, thanks to everybody to teach me.
Greetings from Rome.
See(read) you soon!

Frankie

P.S.
Sorry for my english!

Last edited:
Frankie, I would hope that nobody is bothered by your typing accent, since your location is Rome...

but I'm glad to see you made it over. There's an incredible amount of talent here, and now we have someone that knows Italian cooking from more than just watching Mario Batali on TV!

I do have a question on the pork; do you know what temp you cooked to before removing at 7 hours, or did you just go by feel?

Beleive me Curt, there are more than a couple of us brethren that knew the art of Italian cooking before Mario Batali ever stepped infront of a TV camera.

Neil said:
Beleive me Curt, there are more than a couple of us brethren that knew the art of Italian cooking before Mario Batali ever stepped infront of a TV camera.

I know there are... but none other that I know that are as immersed in it as someone that lives in Rome. :) It wasn't meant as a slam... just trying to welcome Frankie.

Back on topic, this is just fantastic stuff Frankie. I can not wait to see more of your twists on Barbecue.

Been thinking on this. From the description and photos, I bet that pork was very "cured". I would be interested to see or hear Frankie's take on a more conventianlly prepared cut, ie no saltpeter and less brining and marinading.

Again, it looks fantastic.

Looks great Frankie. Welcome to the forum.

Caio Frankie,
Welcome, This is the place to expand and share knowledge of BBQ.
ModelMaker

Welcome Fankie. Hope we can learn as much from you as you can from us. Rome hold a special place in my heart. My wife and I got engauged by the Trevi Fountain.

Back