MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #5356
UVaJester
Knows what a fatty is.

I just spent $40 on all the washers, bolts, and nuts. I picked up all the last needed hardware and expanded metal this morning...

I could only find 12"x24"x1/2" expanded metal... I've seen most people using 3/4" expanded metal, is the 1/2" good to use..??

I am also frustrated because I can't find a good pan to put under my charcoal basket. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use and where to find it..?? I'm also there and want to get this baby done so I can start seasoning...!!!! hahahaa
UVaJester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #5357
5laps2many
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVaJester View Post
I am also frustrated because I can't find a good pan to put under my charcoal basket. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use and where to find it..?? I'm also there and want to get this baby done so I can start seasoning...!!!! hahahaa
My wife picked up a 15" pizza pan at Target for 3 or 4 bucks. At some point it's going to be promoted to an ash pan for a uds. Didn't have any luck finding it on Target's website though.
5laps2many is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #5358
chikenskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I finally got 'er built and seasoned.

I thought I would post a few pics of the fire basket I ended up with.
I used a piece of expndo and welded it to a Weber 18.5" Kettle carcoal grate.
As you can see, I have no legs.
When I bought the expando, it was a "drop" from the steel supplier and it was already 12"wide.
I knew it was going to be a pain to trim it down to 9" so I just welded the charcoal grate up 3" from the bottom and I didn't need the bolts for the legs.
I used the cheap $12 grill from the dollar store for the ash pan.
I couldn't figure out how to secure the pan to the fire basket so I ended up drilling 2 holes opposite each other an running a metal rod all the way through the grill and fire basket to make it all pull out of the UDS as one unit. Now it easy to detach the ash pan from the fire basket for emptying the ash.
I have had a lot of fun building it. This forum is definitely the "Mother of all UDS" threads and has been great inspiration for me to build one. Thanks to you all.
I'm smoking ribs tomorrow...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010029.jpg (58.9 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg P1010028.jpg (69.8 KB, 813 views)
File Type: jpg P1010027.jpg (68.5 KB, 811 views)

Last edited by chikenskin; 02-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: uploaded photos
chikenskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #5359
chikenskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is my first finished UDS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010047.jpg (52.2 KB, 813 views)
File Type: jpg P1010041.jpg (43.5 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg P1010039.jpg (60.5 KB, 806 views)
chikenskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #5360
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
kiss and they will come! Don't over think it bros.
listen to the man!!!
doors are not needed.
these are tried and true cookers.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #5361
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVaJester View Post
I just spent $40 on all the washers, bolts, and nuts. I picked up all the last needed hardware and expanded metal this morning...

I could only find 12"x24"x1/2" expanded metal... I've seen most people using 3/4" expanded metal, is the 1/2" good to use..??

There's no set rules dude build it and stoke it up!! use what you got....If all you got is a metal bed pan with holes in it....go for it!!
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #5362
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's my first....made out of scrap around my shop....I have since made it a little smaller to see if I can get a better even burn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12918.jpg (111.7 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12919.jpg (131.7 KB, 803 views)

Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #5363
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

The warming temperatures over the last week have melted enough snow for me to start on my UDS build. Here are some progress pics from today.

Removing the lid gasket -

Marking and cutting the hole for the BGE vent -

Started a fire using well seasoned oak -

Snow thrown on the side instantly turns to steam

Burning the lid

Old 02-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #5364
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's the new and improved...still haven't burned it yet....I went from 18" to 15" round. 18" seemed to wide and spread out for 10-12#'s of charcoal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10081.jpg (113.5 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10082.jpg (122.3 KB, 795 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10083.jpg (103.8 KB, 794 views)

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #5365
wayner123
Got Wood.

I am having the hardest time find the proper barrel. Here is the latest one I found:

However, it looks like it's cadmium plated or something. It is being sold as "unpainted inside and out" but it only rusts where the "plating" has been scratched. Any of you have experience with this?
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #5366
jkstone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

OK, so despite my blasphemous disregard for the K.I.S.S. method, I am on my second cook and have been holding steady at 225 degrees (give or take 5 degrees either way) for over 4 hours in 35 degree weather. My doors are sealed and not letting any smoke escape so far. I also don't notice any spike in warmth around the doors (holding my hand to the barrel in various places including the door seals).
In other words, "to each his own"! Whether you create the most basic UDS or elaborate on the design... as long as it works, there are no objections on my end.
On another note, after making my charcoal basket... it is 6" tall and made of expanded metal 4' in circumference... I may cut a notch out that fits my firplace shovel so I can add wood or charcoal as needed. I haven't needed to fill it so I don't see a notch being an issue. Any thoughts?
jkstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #5367
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Cleaned mine up today and hit it with my new weed burner. Cleaned one more time and then painted. All I have left now is to assemble, build charcoal basket, clean inside and season before first use.

Last edited by BadHorsieBBQ; 02-27-2010 at 06:11 PM..
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #5368
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I am having the hardest time find the proper barrel. Here is the latest one I found:

However, it looks like it's cadmium plated or something. It is being sold as "unpainted inside and out" but it only rusts where the "plating" has been scratched. Any of you have experience with this?
Galvanized and zinc plated hardware seems to be frowned upon around these parts. Cadmium plated? Don't know about that, but chrome plated grates don't bother anyone so not being a chemist I'll stick my neck out and give you a go. A better informed Brother will come along with the best info, I am sure.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #5369
Sterling
Knows what a fatty is.

If it is cadmium plated, you may want to reconsider:

Remember Google is your friend.

From Wikipedia:
Acute exposure to cadmium fumes may cause flu like symptoms including chills, fever, and muscle ache sometimes referred to as "the cadmium blues." Symptoms may resolve after a week if there is no respiratory damage. More severe exposures can cause tracheo-bronchitis, pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of inflammation may start hours after the exposure and include cough, dryness and irritation of the nose and throat, headache, dizziness, weakness, fever, chills, and chest pain.
Inhaling cadmium-laden dust quickly leads to respiratory tract and kidney problems which can be fatal (often from renal failure). Ingestion of any significant amount of cadmium causes immediate poisoning and damage to the liver and the kidneys. Compounds containing cadmium are also carcinogenic.
The bones become soft (osteomalacia), lose bone mineral density (osteoporosis) and become weaker. This causes the pain in the joints and the back, and also increases the risk of fractures. In extreme cases of cadmium poisoning, mere body weight causes a fracture.
The kidneys lose their function to remove acids from the blood in proximal renal tubular dysfunction. The kidney damage inflicted by cadmium poisoning is irreversible and does not heal over time. The proximal renal tubular dysfunction creates low phosphate levels in the blood (hypophosphatemia), causing muscle weakness and sometimes coma. The dysfunction also causes gout, a form of arthritis due to the accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints because of high acidity of the blood (hyperuricemia). Another side effect is increased levels of chloride in the blood (hyperchloremia). The kidneys can also shrink up to 30%.
Other patients lose their sense of smell (anosmia).

Sounds nasty.

Sterling Skouson

Born just fine the first time, thanks...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #5370
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

You bet me to it Sterling. I was going to post the same thing.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker