MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #3916
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

The next one...

Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #3917
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Hugh--

Perfect timing, man. I've been looking at the extra drum in our backyard contemplating whacking the top third off to make an extended lid. Your post is exactly what I've been thinking on.

One question--a couple of pages back, you showed a weight inside the lid. Why? Is there a purpose for it?

Thanks.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #3918
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I have read alot of the pages of this post and I decided to build my own UDS. I have made the basket using a weber 18 inch charcoal grill and expanded metal, but still have no drum.

I have tried craiglist for the very first time and might have the ability to get a drum for 50 delivered to the house, dang thing would be to hard to fit in a civic . im still waiting for a reply from them concerning if the drum had any linings and what was the drum used for.

Anyways I have started, but not having some of the tools and buying alot of the stuff at HD and Lowes, it has not been the cheapest UDS i have seen on here, it should still be cheaper then a WSM so alls good, lol.
Theboz1419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #3919
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
Hugh--

Perfect timing, man. I've been looking at the extra drum in our backyard contemplating whacking the top third off to make an extended lid. Your post is exactly what I've been thinking on.

One question--a couple of pages back, you showed a weight inside the lid. Why? Is there a purpose for it?

Thanks.
The handle and weight were on a grease trap on an industrial washing machine I have for a future project. If I hadn't used the weight, I would have had to make some other spacer because I didn't have any shorter machine screws. I like it though, it helps hold the lid down tighter. I also realized I could cut it so it would act as a counter weight to offset the chimney. Now it's balanced almost perfectly. Works great so far. I'm pleased with it. It's about 2 1/2 lbs so doesn't add too much weight. I will weigh the lid tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #3920
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

To flare the lid just right, I made a little jig to hold it today. I forgot to take a pic, but I will go up to the shop tomorrow and get a pic of it. Want to get a new grate in the morning and go mount it in that drum.

Also working on this drum as a convertible UDS/UDG. So I wanna work on the grill fire basket anyway. i might make another lid just for chits and giggles. Got a buddy with a new exhaust pipe bender and he needs to practice, I've got some intake pipe ideas. This one's gonna funky.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #3921
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Dang I still cant find a 55 gallon drum, I thought I had a one using Craiglist but, I have sent 2 emails after he responded to my ad, nothing, oh well.

I did find one I can get shipped to me for less then 100, I believe brand new. But, lol, they gave me a ship date in the middle of next month as the earliest. The only good thing is that they are just down the road from me so might drive there monday to see if I can get my hands on one sooner.

If anybody live near Elgin, IL and has a drum let me know

I have everything else ready to go, basket made, parts bought and weber grill lid and grill all waiting for a drum.

Edit: yay, found my drum, it was used for mineral oil, and has been cleaned already.

Last edited by Theboz1419; 08-15-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Theboz1419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3922
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

I started reading this thread a couple of days ago and I am now up to page 30 or about 2 years back. Please tell me someone has gone through the thread and condensed all of the info into Cliff Notes so I don't have to read the whole friggin thing. Please!

I have the Smokin' Gator Mod build description by Brent London, how much additional benefit might there be from wading through two years of posts?

Thanks
schellter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #3923
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hear a close neighbor of yours has a thread that started as that. His version of a simple build. That thread grew also. The main thread is worth a read because you get good insight into what works and what doesn't. Do a "Tag Search" for "Trailer Treasure"

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #3924
Norcoredneck

Make you a deal, Since donating members can search I will do the search. When you fast track your build you donate the difference between what the first cook cost and what you would have paid for the same amount of food at Lucielles BBQ and help keep this place running and as a bonus then you gain the benefits of being a contributing member. I will even throw in phone support! I hear the guy has an awesome set of tools.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ta...ailer+Treasure

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #3925
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I can't believe I read this entire thread.. It only took me about a week. But like someone said about 200 pages ago, it is practically a right of passage for anyone building, of simple cooking on a UDS.

Finally picked mine up yesterday. Fellow Brethren member ratdawg made it for me. I was going to make one myself, but when I saw the quality in which he built his, I knew there was no way I could come close. Again, beautiful job John!

Rubbed it down and did my seasoning burn yesterday around 3:30.. Locked it in at 235 with ease. Still locked in at 235 at midnight, 8 1/2 hours later. During that time I was able to adjust the intake and get it up to 275 or down to 200 within a half hour.

Tapped the basket to drop the ash and went to bed. Woke up at 6 am and it was sitting at 200.. 14 1/2 hours and that was with the intake only opened about 1/4 inch.. Amazing!

I sold my offset and I'm officially a drumhead! Gonna throw a butt and a fatty on it tomorrow..
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #3926
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Make you a deal, Since donating members can search I will do the search. When you fast track your build you donate the difference between what the first cook cost and what you would have paid for the same amount of food at Lucielles BBQ and help keep this place running and as a bonus then you gain the benefits of being a contributing member. I will even throw in phone support! I hear the guy has an awesome set of tools.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ta...ailer+Treasure
I very much appreciate you doing that search for me I was able to completely read the If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS post, however I still have reservations about my ability to do the job, and for sure mine would never come out looking as good as the one Blackened posted above. I think I need to get in touch with ratdawg or another builder to discuss making a deal.

I have never eaten at Lucielles, are they any good or just more boiled ribs with sauce?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help,

Larry
schellter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #3927
Merlinspop
Got Wood.

Default Took the plunge

Hello!

Brand new member, this being my first post beyond introducing myself in the Cattle Call forum.

I decided I needed to get back into smoking after about 5 years in the new house. Hated fighting temperatures with the offset I used to have and was determined to find a better way, which led me to this gargantuan thread.

Knowing that nothing really happens without photographic evidence, I promise to post pics once I get them uploaded and figure out how. In the meantime, here's what I hypothetically did...

Bought an unused, unlined drum last Friday. I (and mostly my wife) was still a little paranoid about exactly what the "mild rust inhibitor" was that was sprayed on the inside of the drum, I decided to do a full burn out Saturday night. Drilled 4 x 1in intake holes, wadded up a Sunday paper, tossed in about a dozen very dry fireplace logs and fired her up. WOW! It was like a jet engine on full 'burner! Flames reached at least 6 feet above the drum and the bottom 3d glowed red. Any substance on the inside or outside was toast!

The next morning, I scrubbed it out good and sanded it down as best I could. Washed with Dawn and let it air dry. The nice uniform film of rust that developed told me that I had bare steel. I drilled holes for the cooking grate, thermometer and handles. A light sanding and wipedown to remove the outside rust, followed by 2 coats of silver Krylon high heat paint. Installed all the hardware. I bought a cheapo BBQ Pro 22.5 inch kettle grill at KMart to use as donor parts. Two 12x24 sheets of expanded steel from Lowes bolted together (all hardware is SS) and wire-tied that to the charcoal grate that came with the grill form the firering. It only sits about an inch above the bottom, so it might be a little low and if so, I'll add bolts with wide washers to raise it up some. Sanded the inside and coated with Pam to prevent rust until I completed the lid (see next paragraph). The grates I used are both pretty flimsy so I can see myself getting Weber replacement parts before too long anyway. The drum itself looks awesome, silver with black handles. But then I goofed up...

Thinking I could just use a propane torch to burn off the lid, I went at it with gusto. While it did burn off cleanly, it also warped like a Dorito chip. I tried to hork it down to the drum, put the ring clamp on and heat it back up to try to get it to reshape itself, but that was only marginally effective. So, I called a local welder and have arranged to have him weld the dome lid from the donor grill to the outside hoop of the lid. I'll bring that to him in an hour or so and will get it back in a couple days time.

I'm not going to do anything fancy with the intake holes yet. For now, I've got a collection of flexible magnets from the fridge to use. Maybe I'll add nipples and a valve.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, but that's where things stand. Looking forward to getting the lid back and paining it to match then do a seasoning burn to try to dial in the temps. I was thinking about doing a fatty for a first cook to get even more seasoning on the inside surfaces. But now, finally, a couple questions:

1) Do you think the single vent on the lid will be enough, or should I drill a couple of 1/2 holes on the opposite side to even out the air flow? Probably should just wait till after the first seasoning burn to see what the temps do.

2) Anything else I might want to do besides or instead of a fatty to further the seasoning process? What's a good 'beginner' fatty recipe?

Thanks! Looking forward to learning a lot and having a ton of fun and (hopefully) good eats in the process.

Bruce
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3928
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellter View Post
I very much appreciate you doing that search for me I was able to completely read the If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS post, however I still have reservations about my ability to do the job, and for sure mine would never come out looking as good as the one Blackened posted above. I think I need to get in touch with ratdawg or another builder to discuss making a deal.

I have never eaten at Lucielles, are they any good or just more boiled ribs with sauce?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help,

Larry
Schellter,

No need to question your own ability to create, that's part of the fun! As an example, I just completed #6 of several, and while not as graceful as the previous one posted, is very similar and just as functional.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #3929
flint
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

some pic's total cost $100.00 for the stainless steel grate. So far 4 pork butts, 2 brisket's and a couple of chickens for break in this thing is amazing.MVC-051S.JPG

MVC-052S.JPG

MVC-053S.JPG

MVC-054S.JPG

MVC-055S.JPG
flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #3930
Phubar

That's the 2nd yellow UDS I've seen today....something is going on!
Oh yeah....nice job Flint!
Except there's something missing....FOOD!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker