Competition on Saturday

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason that contests are always held on Friday and Saturday? It seems to me that there would be more people competing or at least trying to compete if they didn't have to take a day off from work to do it.

Why aren't there more Saturday-Sunday contests?

I always wondered that myself Neil.

Cause your supposed to be in Church on Sunday morning. Lessen your a heathen. :)

Around here the traffic on Sundays is killer. Trying to drive home on a Sunday evening in traffic after a brutal weekend of BBQing would end up in a few fender benders.

Isn't traffic there a killer everyday?

I have done a few that were a Saturday & Sunday and thought they would be great well they suck because you are so worn out on Monday :|

I'm worn out on Monday no matter what day I compete.

Doesn't really matter, you wind up taking time off if it's on Friday or Saturday.

Bigmista said:
I'm worn out on Monday no matter what day I compete.

I'm worn out on monday evin if I don't compete:icon_smil

I have tried to get some of the nebs contests moved to Sat/Sunday but apparently I am a very small minority who would prefer it that way. Getting out early or worse, taking Friday off is just about an impossibility for me so I always get started prepping hours after everyone else is already kicking back and enjoying themselves.
nancee

I can only do Saturday/Sunday comps and have only experienced comps on those days. Grill Kings, Harpoon and Hudson Valley Rib Festival are all Saturday/Sunday comps. We are going to try more this coming year and may have to do just the Sunday portion because of commitments. I am in the same minority as nancee.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Smoker said:
Cause your supposed to be in Church on Sunday morning. Lessen your a heathen. :)

Amen, brother!

BrooklynQ said:
Don't read anything into that folks. Dean is notoriously late when it comes to announcing dates for the Grill Kings. Nothing to be concerned about.

Despite all of the complaints last year, I am looking forward to doing grill kings in Brethren style for 2007. Worst case we'll all just get together and sit in my driveway!

The reason for Friday and Saturday is because NASCAR is on Sunday. I could not compete during NASCAR season if we were always cookin on Sunday. I vote to never change the days. Just one guys opinion who gets to take his rookie stripes off next year.:lol:

I've bitched about this for years and the best I can tell they are on Friday-Saturday because "That's how it's always been."
IMO it was a Friday night thing when it started but now we all show up Friday morning or even on Thursday so it's ridiculous. The church argument always comes up but when Nascar comes to the South on Sunday everyone seems to work that out. The cooks just like Sunday to travel and rest up and so do I, but the sponsored prize money will never truly grow until we come to our senses and have our contests last the whole weekend. With the rigors of turn ins, our events are essentially over at 10:30 Saturday morning.

When you go on a fishing weekend do you pack up and go home on Saturday afternoon so you won't be tired on Monday? Or a golf weekend or to the amusement park or antique hunting?

I'd much rather the Sat-Sun contest because I work nights and I usually have to take off work two days just to compete on Fri-Sat. events. It is too hard to lose two days work pay. I use up my vacation days so fast and then I have nothing left. It would really be nice to see more Sat-Sun events in my area but since there isn't I have to man up and lose the paycheck for my 2nd love.

I'd do more comps if I didn't have to pay for the contest and lose a day of pay or blow a vacation day.

I use a day of vacation every comp, no big deal. but I would like to see the contest last until sunday. as by 4pm sat. it's done all over, finished. and now I drive home clean put crap away and plan for the next one I would Like to relax on sat night party maybe have rib taster deal and band party and party margarita's tell stories and maybe a few lies. But I feel cheated when I go home on saturday.

It's just me. and my opinion

I am Organizing a few for 2007 where the turn ins will be Saturday Afternoon to Evening. A team could pull in at 7 am Saturday and be fine on Turn Ins
Saturday night Cooks Party And ya get to say hello to all those BBQ Groupies
that are hanging around the CBBQA Contests.
Then You have Sunday to travel home

The wife and I were talking about that the other day after I made the decision, or was it made for me, that I'll try a comp or three next year. She asked how to describe one and I told her it was like sex, bad sex. You build up to the orgasm, then roll over. Sure there's alot of comradre taht goes on before the cooking starts but there's not alot when compared to football games and tailgate parties and Jimmy Buffet concerts. I think it would be good to have festivities go on not just for the people who come to see the comps but for the cooks to decompress afterwards. Come on, how bout some cuddle time.

Here in the "Bible Belt" of NC and SC, a lot of venues won't even allow you to drink a beer on the property. You would never be allowed to have a BBQ Comp run into Sunday.

"The Baptists don't own the South, they just use the name".
Michael Reno Harrel

Back