MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Default Canning Homemade BBQ Sauce

Brothers, been Googling hard, looking for ways to can my Q sauce. Ive found different recipes ect. Ive found out about doing the water bath thing. Ive got a couple of pressure cookers. I was planning after loading up the jars w/my homemade brew and pressure cooking it. Any thoughts and or ideas would be muchly appreciated.

Im planning on bringing some of this to the Fall Bash, the rest Im planning on giving away butts and sauce for Christmas Presents this year.

Gutsy plan on my end I guess. Then again what the hell do I know?

Thanks

Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

Check with Curt (CMCADAMS) The stoff he sent me looked as though it was done professionally.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

My family canned a whole bunch growing up but Mom and Dad did all the work. Can be very dangerous. Hot, hot water!

Everything must be very clean and sterilized.

Here is a site on home canning.

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALBasics.asp

Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mike,

My wife does canning... works pretty well. You just get a canning pot, jars and lids with threaded bands. Then you fill the pot with enough water to cover the jars (hot water), then boil it. Put the jars in the hot water for 10 minutes. Put the lids in a pan of water on simmer to make sure they're hot. Take them out and don't touch the insides. Put hot bbq sauce in them with a canning funnel, filling them up as far to the top as you can. Make sure the jar lips are cleaned off, and put the lids on them. Screw on the threaded bands, then put the jars back in the boiling water for 10 more minutes, then take out and put on the counter to cool. The lids should pop so they're depressed; if they don't pop, just put that in the fridge. I just check them the next morning.

That's about it! Meijer has canning stuff... or Wally World. Then I just printed labels and used doublesided tape to put the labels on (I need to just buy some vinyl labels to print).

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
ApronGuy
On the road to being a farker

Yeah, just be careful of the hot bbq sauce. with so much sugar, you're looking at a potentially molten experience, should you get any on you hands or arms.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
Mike,

Put hot bbq sauce in them with a canning funnel, filling them up as far to the top as you can. Make sure the jar lips are cleaned off, and put the lids on them. Screw on the threaded bands, then put the jars back in the boiling water for 10 more minutes, then take out and put on the counter to cool. The lids should pop so they're depressed; if they don't pop, just put that in the fridge. I just check them the next morning.
There are fill lines on canning jars and you should not go past it. This is so there is sufficient air in the headspace to create a vacuum. If the lid is not vacuum tight out of the pot then it is not properly sealed, and must be kept refrigerated.

I have canned some hot peppers in the past. I think a BBQ sauce should be sufficiently acid enough for canning. But you may want to get some ph strips to test out your recipe.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

If you are adding vinegar to your sauce, you will probably be ok with water bath canning.

That canning site has a good discussion on head room. Cannot have too little and you cannot have too much.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Curt, I knew you would chime in.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull
Brothers, been Googling hard, looking for ways to can my Q sauce. Ive found different recipes ect. Ive found out about doing the water bath thing. Ive got a couple of pressure cookers. I was planning after loading up the jars w/my homemade brew and pressure cooking it. Any thoughts and or ideas would be muchly appreciated.

Im planning on bringing some of this to the Fall Bash, the rest Im planning on giving away butts and sauce for Christmas Presents this year.

Gutsy plan on my end I guess. Then again what the hell do I know?

Thanks

Mike
I do it all the time....even sell a few jars here and there.....if your acid content is high enough, you can get by with the waterbath!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
NorthernQ
On the road to being a farker

You can also add .20% sodium benzoate for good measure. Really a safe preservative at recommended concentration - effective, too.
Crown Verity gasser
Little gasser
Meco bullet, CharGriller
Refrigerator shelf, pile of rocks, stack of wood
Former Klose owner (sob)
NorthernQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
spicewine
Babbling Farker

If your Ph is 4.5 or lower, you don't have to can it. It will be shelf stable. I have a Ph tester if you would like me to test it for you , you can send me a small sample and I will put the meter on it. All of my sauces are shelf stable and do not need to be refrigerated after opening.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Sodium Benzoate? Aint gotta clue what that is or where I could obtain some.
Thanks for all the advice and the links. Ive made this sauce before and seems to keep fine in da fridge. I just want to can some in jars and I want to do it saftely or I just flat wont do it. I will try and find some of them PH test strips.........Are they the same ones that they use in swimming pools/hottubs?
Again thanks for the advice.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull
I will try and find some of them PH test strips.........Are they the same ones that they use in swimming pools/hottubs?
Again thanks for the advice.
I would think not. The pool strips use color for a determination. Your sauce has color to it I must presume. Jay has made a more than generous offer. Take him up on it. The man is good for his word.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
qman
Babbling Farker

Yeah, test strips will NOT work. You have to have a pH meter to read the exact pH. They used to be quite expensive, and I assume they still are.
Kevin is right, Jay has made a very generous offer. I would ship him a sample.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine
If your Ph is 4.5 or lower, you don't have to can it. It will be shelf stable. I have a Ph tester if you would like me to test it for you , you can send me a small sample and I will put the meter on it. All of my sauces are shelf stable and do not need to be refrigerated after opening.
hey Spice......could I send you a sample too?

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote