MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First BIG cook questions from a rookie.

So I've been asked to cook at a graduation party in May. It's for extended family so it both takes away and adds to the pressure I guess. They are thinking between 75 to 100 people. So I'm looking for some knowledge, guidance, pep talks, and all the things that could go wrong. Trust me when I say, I'm an open book to suggestions, and my cup is empty ready to be filled. I'm currently working on a 175 gallon fuel tank, keeping it vertical, with 3 shelves. So that's what I will have for the main cook. Also an older kings ford and kettle grill from the house that I can use also. Again any advice on what meat and how to best do it would be much appreciated.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Pork butt would probably be the easiest to deal with, it's pretty foolproof. I'd figure 1/3 pound of pork per person, if you're planning on having sides. That would work out to about 66 pounds of uncooked meat (figure on a 50% loss) for 100 people.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

You are probably going to have more meat in your cooker than you ever have had before. Be aware of how the extra meat will impact your pit temp and plan accordingly. Do not cut times too close. You can always rest the meat.

Get some volunteers to be your assistants. Kids are great for that. You don't want to forget that you were in the middle of something because you had to run and grab something.

Bets of luck!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
peeps

Also, if you are cooking things that come off at very different times, figure in some more time for the large cuts from opening the doors a bit more often.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the quick advice. I think we are planing to do pp and pulled chicken. Then probably some cowboy beans, maybe potatoe salad or Mac n cheese. I'm hungry just thinking bout it. This will defiantly be the most I have ever cooked. But trying not to over think it and just cooking it till its done.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Make sure you have some extra coolers available and plan to have plenty of extra time. If you get the pork done way ahead of the chicken that will make things much easier.

You can foil, wrap in towels, place in cooler and the pork shoulders will be safe for hours while you work on the quicker cooking chicken, likely at a higher temp.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks that was going to be my next question.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
DDM4V1
Found some matches.

Good luck man! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
DDM4V1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I would go with the previous advice. Get that pork done, and rest it in a cooler. I've rested some for nearly five hours and it was delicious. Then raise temperature and cook that chicken next. You might use the smaller grills to keep little appetizers going like MOINK balls or ABTs.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
scayne62
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked PP for 125 people on 3 UDS's, cooked them overnight for roughly 12 ours at 225, rested them for almost 5 hours while the beans and other sides where cooked/prepared, it all turned out delicious and he PP was almost as hot to pull as when I pulled it right off the cooker. Take your time, have plenty of help and it will go a lot better than you think. I am also in the process of building a 175 gallon fuel tank grill , I think I am going to make it a vertical cooker but am going to try to build another box on the inside and make it an insulated vertical cooker.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
16Adams

Default Hero Time

High School grad party for my son I cooked for 54 adults and too many kiddos to count. Lots of folks eat standing up and grazing. I did the ribs, resmoked a cure 81 and three turkey breasts. White bread, Italian bread, Kings Hawaiian rolls. All easy cooks. During the peak I had BBQ chipotle meatballs, margaritaville shrimp, ABT's chips and dips. Sausage in white bread with slaw and a BBQ sauce is tasty.

I did not serve any alcohol although I had a secret stash in the washing machine in the utility room for me and one brother.

You want to stay busy but not too busy that you can't enjoy the event also. People to watch for

Weird uncle frank: make sure he minds his manners
Crazy Aunt Nancy: remind her it is NOT her party, be brutally honest if necessary
Ghoulish Grandma: all old folks have basically are their memories but try to avoid letting her capture innocents with stories of the dead and the dying.

Pray and good luck

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scayne62 View Post
I cooked PP for 125 people on 3 UDS's, cooked them overnight for roughly 12 ours at 225, rested them for almost 5 hours while the beans and other sides where cooked/prepared, it all turned out delicious and he PP was almost as hot to pull as when I pulled it right off the cooker. Take your time, have plenty of help and it will go a lot better than you think. I am also in the process of building a 175 gallon fuel tank grill , I think I am going to make it a vertical cooker but am going to try to build another box on the inside and make it an insulated vertical cooker.
Thanks man. You have any advice on the build.