MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Unless you know the store's policy on setting the sell by date, it means nothing. It could be two weeks after they receive it, which could be weeks after the pack date, or it could be based on the pack date. Without knowing that, and how far from their reference date they set the sell by date it tells you nothing.

If the cryo is just loose, is may have a pin hole in it. It it is tight in spots and has bubbles, that's normal as the meat ages. But, if it is inflating, get rid it it!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Unless you know the store's policy on setting the sell by date, it means nothing. It could be two weeks after they receive it, which could be weeks after the pack date, or it could be based on the pack date. Without knowing that, and how far from their reference date they set the sell by date it tells you nothing.

If the cryo is just loose, is may have a pin hole in it. It it is tight in spots and has bubbles, that's normal as the meat ages. But, if it is inflating, get rid it it!
Agree!! we have taken Briskets 45 days past the pack date and they were awesome, normally once we start seeing the bubbles inside the pack start to expand we will put them in the freezer or cook.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
Agree!! we have taken Briskets 45 days past the pack date and they were awesome, normally once we start seeing the bubbles inside the pack start to expand we will put them in the freezer or cook.
Yep... I prefer not to freeze, but decent sized briskets have been hard to find around here this year so I have been hoarding them The two that I have for this week's competition were aged 50 days and then frozen.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
kingstar
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was cryovaced, so going past the sell by date wasn't too concerning as lots of people here do that regularly as part of wet aging. I plan to cook it this weekend so I will see how it looks and smells when I open it.
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
kingstar
Got Wood.

Another question. Since this brisket will be cooked probably to over 200°, wouldn't that kill off anything that would cause illness? The meat would probably taste bad, but shouldn't all the nasties be dead?
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been told when gas bubbles get to "quarter" size you need to freeze or cook it.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstar View Post
Another question. Since this brisket will be cooked probably to over 200°, wouldn't that kill off anything that would cause illness? The meat would probably taste bad, but shouldn't all the nasties be dead?
There are many different aspects of food borne illnesses that is more than just killing off the 'live' nasty organisms.
After the organisms are killed off by temp - the excrements from these nasty organisms left behind are still toxic and dangerous.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/causes/index.html

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Being in the fridge and not frozen for that long I would be concerned. The biggiest problem with being in the fridge is most people are constantly in and out of them so the temps are not stable they rise and fall causing stuff to go bad faster. Im not one to waste anything but I would be very cautious of it

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Ron_L

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. It was cryovaced, so going past the sell by date wasn't too concerning as lots of people here do that regularly as part of wet aging. I plan to cook it this weekend so I will see how it looks and smells when I open it.
People who wet age briskets safely don't look at the sell by date. The only reliable dates are the packing or kill date. Sell by dates are set by stores based on some unknown criteria and cannot be replied on for safe aging.

Quote:
Cooking to 200 may kill the nasties, but I'm not willing to invest my time or fuel cooking bad meat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I would not waste my time on it. Toss it and buy another one

what are you out? $30?

beats cooking potentially rotten meat
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I routinely take my briskets to 50+ days. Cut the cryovac open. If the meat is bad, you will know.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

If it was me, I would cook it then try it out on the MIL first but that's just me.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^

Now's there's a stellar idea

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Who am I kidding. I'd probably eat it still.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Is a brisket really worth getting completely crap faced sick? Toss and buy another.