Crockpot butt recipe

Higgledy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was going to smoke tonight but we are supposed to get t-storms. I don't have any kind of cover and don't want to be running outside in lightning.

How do I make a butt in the crockpot? Do I still use a rub? Do I add liquid? The butt is about 9lbs. How do you control temp in a crockpot? Mine only has a LOW and HIGH setting.

Seriously though....put it in there with some rub and some onion a little bit of apple juice and let it roll on low over night. It will be so tender tomorrow you will have to take it out in pieces with a spoon. At least that is what I am told, never actually tried it myself:wink:

Crockpot Pulled Pork
1 crock pot
1 Boneless Butt
2 bottles of Kraft original
3 tbl liquid smoke
And since all pulled pork must be wrapped I crockpot sized cookin bag

put the liner in the CP
add Butt, BBQ sauce & liquid Smoke
cook on high over night
use a potato masher to bust it up assisted by a pair of dinner forks
serve to strangers on cheap white buns disguised as that smart mouthed white headed fella if possible:heh:

Seriously though....put it in there with some rub and some onion a little bit of apple juice and let it roll on low over night. It will be so tender tomorrow you will have to take it out in pieces with a spoon. At least that is what I am told, never actually tried it myself:wink:

......then poke yourself in the arm with a fork. :biggrin1:

I know. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.:tsk:

Never done one in a crockpot but have used this method in the oven "before" I got my egg.

From another website.

Carolina Pulled pork

1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3#or 8# piece.
BBQ rub of your choice (I will post mine if you want) or just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar. Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Method 1--IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200*-250*) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years). Place the meat in a 225-250* oven for 8 hours uncovered . I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

When ready to serve pull chunks of meat off and then "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. This is not a low fat dish and to really enjoy, use it!!! The pork can also be chopped.

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the pulled meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). It should be so little that you don't even know it has been added.

To warm before serving put the vinegared meat in a pan (black iron frying pan is good or Le Creuset) and cover tightly. Heat at 250* until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

Anytime I have done one I throw it in with some onion (maybe green pepper) and about 1/3 cup liquid of some kind. Put it on low in the morning and it is ready to eat when I get home from work.

The only advice i have is to check your crockpot to see if it heats from the bottom or the side. My experience is that it takes more liquid in a side heated crockpot for it to reach and maintain temperature. The bottom heated crockpots seem to cook right along with a minimal amount of liquid just as long as they don't run dry.

My wife makes "firecracker pork" in the crock pot, and it,s pretty dang good.

Don't know where she got it from, maybe Google it.

Back