New at this; thanks for the brisket help

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
OK, I know nobody is out there anymore in the other thread, so here is what I actually did with this thing.

For some time I've wanted to try a very hot and fast brisket and being really lazy helped me out. My other option was a very slow brisket, but I was too lazy to do anything the night before. I woke up about 8:30 and farked around for a while on the computer. Then I pulled the brisket out of the fridge and lit the fire. I had one big chunk of oak and lump. I trimmed the excess fat on the brisket and seasoned with about 2 tbsp (Kosher) salt, 2 tbsp pepper, and about a tsp of cayenne pepper. At 9:30am, the Oval was humming at about 350* and I put the brisket in an Al pan, fat-cap down. The temperature dropped to 325* (as expected). I closed the lid and didn't check it for two hours. I was expecting a nice bark to have formed, but it was still a bit weak. I closed it up and waited another hour and checked again. At 12:30 (3 hours in) this is what greeted me.

It actually looks a bit lighter in the picture. I tossed about a cup of fruit juice (don't know which flavor) into the pan, and foiled it up fairly tightly. The temperature had been fairly steady between 325*-350* the whole time. I didn't take another peek until 3:30 (that's 6 hours into the cook). I poked it with my thermometer and it went right in, no resistance at all, everywhere. Temperature was about 205* (for what it's worth). I took the whole thing out and wrapped it with a towel because dinner wasn't going to happen until 6:30. After 3 hours, it was still warm, so I sliced without any reheating:

In sum:

Total time: 9 hours
Seasoning: Salt:pepper:cayenne ~5:5:1
Temperature: 325-350*
Weight: 16 pounds (some idiot thought this was a 60-pounder, what an Idiot #1 :tsk:)
Break-down: 3 hours uncovered in pan, 3 hours covered in pan, 3 hours rest

Verdict: It was really, really good, not the best I've had, but really, really good. I would definitely do this again.

Incidentally, the suggestion thread got moved over to here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158393

Last edited:
That brisket Looks Perfect to Me !! Great bark and very moist !! :thumb:

Nice but I'm still expecting vodka jello shots at work!

Looks and sounds like a success. You don't often see those 60 pound briskets

That brisket Looks Perfect to Me !! Great bark and very moist !! :thumb:

I think it would've been better if I didn't have to let it set for 3 hours. :roll:

Looks pretty good for a rookie!

:becky:

Awwww, shucks Ron, you just made my day. :hug:

Looks awesome!

Thanks!

Nice but I'm still expecting vodka jello shots at work!

If I can track down some liquid nitrogen on Monday, I'll give those jello shots a shot. If there are any left, I'll bring you some in three weeks. :thumb: ... Of course, I do wonder about just using the freezer and going with that. Bob, do you think that would work. I assume you've done this before since it was your suggestion.

Looks and sounds like a success. You don't often see those 60 pound briskets

Yeah, that'll be a couple of meals right there.

wow, ecode did a great job! :thumb:

looks mighty fine!

Believe it or not, she was sick and didn't help out at all ... honest, she was ... really, ... fark, you don't believe me do you? Well, she was. :tsk:

Looks great. Glad you were successful. Maybe Pastrami next time. :)

Yes, that probably will be next. The first thing ecode said was, "this would be really nice on some rye bread with some sauerkraut. :doh:

It makes me want to do my next one hot and fast. And by the way I would definitely hit that.

Looks like those 2 speed bumps leaving the hotel realy did tenderize it. Sometimes those lazy cooks turn out the best. Looks good.

Looks tasty. If it wasn't the best you've had, there is only one thing you can do - try again! at least that is what I always say.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I typically use 1/4c of kosher salt and 1/4c of coarse pepper. 2tb just doesn't sound like enough to me. Of course I never pan or foil either...

It looks fantastic Gore.

We'd appreciate anything you would do differently next time. I'm curious to know why you wouldn't want to hold it for 3 hours.

I ask only because I haven't done one myself.

Dave

guess I should cancel my trip to N.A.S.A.UPS is off the radar too!

Back