MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Frozen, Rubbed Brisket Flat

I had a small flat I'd rubbed and injected at the last contest I did in late October that we didn't have space to cook it. We brought it home and stuck it in the freezer. It's been in that zip lock 2 gallon bag since. I'm assuming that freezing AFTER rubbing won't hurt it at all when I decide to thaw it out and throw it on the WSM. Would there be any different way I'd want to handle it once I thaw it and get ready to cook it? Will it need more rub? Will what's on it be diminished or will it be TOO seasoned and not be very good?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Jeff,

I think it will be just fine as is as long as there is no freezer burn.

If you concerned about diminished flavor, just give a quick light dusting with some fresh rub.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jeff,

Like Vinny said, I would thaw it, sprinkle a little more rub on it and cook it as normal.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #4
BobberQer
Banned

I would venture to say your frozen brisket will taste better than the original, unfrozen ones.. freezing\f meats ends to tenderize them a bit .. please let us know how it turned out
BobberQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
wishinfishin
Knows what a fatty is.

I would'nt do a thing to it. The pre-seasoning freeze caused all the spice and injection to contract/penetrate into the meat as it froze...as it thaws the meat will again "soak" even more spice into the meat as it thaws.
You could do a comparison...froze w/ spice vs. rubbed w/ spice on same day and cook them both at the same time and then you will see what the effect of pre-season and freeze does in relation to just pre-season and cook.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000]Pit by Jambo (Jamie Geer) 5'x25" mfg date 2005.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
wishinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I just found a brisket flat in the freezer and steamed it in the bag in a fry pan of water till warmed through. That worked great and didn't over cook the meat. If you store your food in Food Saver pouches they are boil in bags so that works great too.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well it figures that the farking bitter cold temps we've had around here keeping me from Qing are going to give way to nice 50's and 60's for the weekend and of course I'll be in Michigan where there'll likely be a couple of feet of lake effect snot and cold, howling winds! Hey Neil, what's the weather supposed to be up your way for real this weekend?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote