MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Default chili serving size???

I have been asked to make my chili for a party. My recipe yelds an over full 8 qt crock pot.

Understanding that it is very subjective. How many people will that serve? Or what is a normal serving size for a bowl of chili?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Just looking for opinions, you don't have to be the chili king of your state ...
2 cups sound about right?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Without going to the kitchen to do some measuring, 2 cups sounds like a pretty large bowl. Your recipe would make 16 servings at 2 cups ea. I would guess that a normal sized bowl would be more like 10 to 12 oz rather than 16. Assuming 12 oz servings, your recipe would yield about 21 servings. Sound about right?
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Brian, that's the way I first figured it in terms of size but never thought a crockpot would serve 20 people. I've made it a thousand times but never kept track of bowls served.
Thanks for the input.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

If you had a large and small, I would think 8oz would be a good small, and 12 for large. A whole pint of chili might be too much for many folks!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Hint and I do this a lot. Get yourself one of those electric turkey roaster things that have controllable temp. They are one sale right now! Mine is 18quart and that does all I need for the larger parties! Double or even triple your recipe.... As an example I can fit almost 4 #10 cans of premade chili in mine before I dr it up and still have headroom. Good luck...

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote