My First Fatty (PRON Heavy)

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Saturday, as I was strolling through Glen Ellyn Dominicks, I couldn't help but notice that not only the Smithfield - Double Cut Bacon was "buy one, get one" but that Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage was too. A no brainer.

Sunday morning breakfast with the boys was screaming "Fatty!" and the Mrs. was going to be out....no guilt-game on!

Because this was intended to be a breakfast fatty, the main ingredients included bacon, sausage, portabellinis, green pepper, white onion, garlic and cheese.

DSCN1792.jpg

I started my fatty by creating a bacon weave and dusting it with Cimmaron Docs Sweet Rib Rub & Bar-B-Q Seasoning.

DSCN1807.jpg

Next, I flattened out the sausage roll into a square leaving room around the edges. Then I added sauteed portabellinis, green pepper, white onion, garlic and cheese.

DSCN1815.jpg

Once stuffed, I rolled the sausage layer completely sealing the stuffing inside. I then rolled the bacon weave around it using the wax paper to keep it all in place and from sticking.

DSCN1817.jpg

I placed the fatty on my Weber Kettle One -Touch Gold using indirect heat with two chunks of Pecan.

DSCN1831.jpg

Because of the amount of fat in this fatty, I chose to smoke it at 225 degrees hoping to render much of the fat...yeah right, who am I kidding?

DSCN1832.jpg

Making a meal on my Weber Kettle using Kingsford Blue and cracking open an Old Style reminds me a lot of my late father. Although, come to think of it, he never drank his beer from a glass.

DSCN1833.jpg

Oh boy, if you could only smell it! After about 3 hours on the Weber Ketttle, the bacon is starting to crisp up. What a beauty!

DSCN1843.jpg

Of course I had to add a little sweetness, so I glazed it using Whiteford's Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce letting the bacon almost candy.

DSCN1853.jpg

After letting it rest a few minutes, I cut it in two. Nice smoke ring, juicy and delicious!

DSCN1857.jpg

Yeah, don't come to my house hoping to lose weight or lower your cholesterol. Smoking this fatty took much longer than I had anticipated and by the time it had finished it was afternoon. But in the end, it was worth the wait. These juicy, smoked medallions along with a few fried eggs is nothing short of heaven.

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

DSCN1859.jpg

Very nice looking fatty! Well done on the weave and keeping all the stuff inside. That is where I always fail...

Real nice, but flip those eggs over one time for me! :laugh:

Nah, of course they should be cooked in bacon grease, so periodically splash some grease up onto the eggs.
Looks like a great meal, no matter what time of day it was!

That looks awesome. Great job! I like the shot and the beer. Breakfast of Champions, I always say :wink:

I'd love some for lunch now! Very impresive smoke ring.

Is it just me, or does the fatty slice in this money shot appear to be smiling????:thumb:

DSCN1859.jpg

Looks D'lish! Beats the cereal I just had for breakfast!

Back