IMG_0230.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 774
It has potential. My concern would be the gaps at the top and bottom. Many people run their UDS with the ball valve just barely cracked open. I would also wonder if you could ever put the fire out completely with air still getting in.

Not sure there is much point in finding a replacement for a $9 ball valve..........

its a 2" pipe. My first UDS I had a single 1 1/2" and sometimes wondered if I needed more air. I am concerned about the gaps though. probably won't work, but I'll try it.

Not sure there is much point in finding a replacement for a $9 ball valve..........

where are you getting a $9 valve? I can't find anything under 35-40 bucks.

I assume this is for intake? In that case most are using 3 x 3/4" pipe nipples. Barely leaving one of them open during the cook via the ball valve. 2" ball valves do cost a bunch more and that is likely why everyone uses 3/4". Not sure why your UDS would need that much intake open. I don't think that is typical.

I assume this is for intake? In that case most are using 3 x 3/4" pipe nipples. Barely leaving one of them open during the cook via the ball valve. 2" ball valves do cost a bunch more and that is likely why everyone uses 3/4". Not sure why your UDS would need that much intake open. I don't think that is typical.

i never understood this. You have three nipples, but keep two closed and one partly closed with a ball valve? So why have three?

My first UDS I went with a single 1 1/2" intake. Piped it up to the top and covered it to control air. Not sure I was really happy with that. I think the long pipe was messing with me. Building a second and decided not to pipe the air intake up to the top. Decided to use 2" this time. Figured I could always turn it down if need be, but if I wanted to turn it up for some reason I could.

the other reason I went with one the first time is I didn't have a good hole cutter, so cutting one 1 1/2" hole would be easier than three 3/4 holes. But now I do have a hole cutter. Maybe I should drop back to three intakes.

i never understood this. You have three nipples, but keep two closed and one partly closed with a ball valve? So why have three?

I use the extra intakes when I am bringing it up to temp or if the wind changes and I need intake from a different side. It is easier than moving the drum while it is cooking. I don't have wheels.

My UDS experience is that they want to burn hot. Look at how many post claim this. So it seams to need very little air intakes to maintain a high temp once the fire is going, hence the efficient design. 3/4" as mentioned is big, so 2 inch is great, but you will be running hot. Hard to do low and slow unless you have an airtight seal with that valve.

I use the extra intakes when I am bringing it up to temp or if the wind changes and I need intake from a different side. It is easier than moving the drum while it is cooking. I don't have wheels.

What Johnny said. Having the three intakes with one or two of them being ball valves allows a lot of air adjustment, from wide open for bringing up to temp or cooking hot and fast, to just a little for low and slow. JMHO

One 2 inch pvc ball valve, much cheaper than a metal one, on a 12 in riser no problems for the last 3 or 4 years with this set up. Only runs hot if I leave the lid off to long or let it get to hot at start up but I can bring it down without to much trouble.
Dave

I use all 3 of mine for getting up to temp, and sometimes wind changes. One of the last cooks I did when my temp started to stall, i looked in and could see almost all the charcoal on the side where my ball valve is was burnt to ash in a section closest to the valve. Luckily a good basket shake got it evened out again but thats why i like to switch around the intakes sometimes. Just gives me better fire/temp management.

Before buying my first Lang... was tinkering with a my first home-built project: a fugly looking Double Barrel Smoker... utilizing the 2" threads as an air intake.

PICT0390.jpg

Been there, done that, cooked on it for a year... and scrapped the whole thing.

Back