MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
jds62f
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First Chuckie took too long, how to revive for pulling?

I threw my first chuck roast on the egg for smoking yesterday. 3lb 3oz started at 4:45 p, temp was 250* the entire time.

Based on all the previous threads I read I was thinking maybe 1.25 hr lb tops, but the darn thing didn't hit 195* till 1a! I even swapped temp probes before going to bed to make sure that I didn't have an issue with the temp probe for the meat.

So at 1a the alarm goes off and its done, I certainly wasn't going to wait for 30 min and then pull it. I ended up wrapping it in foil and throwing it in the fridge.

So now I've got a cooked but whole chuck roast in the fridge, I'd think it would be rather difficult to pull it cold, so I'm thinking I should revive it and then try pulling. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking maybe put it in the crock pot with some beef broth or something to keep it from drying out, but I wanted to see if anyone has any better ideas.

thx!
jds62f is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe put it in a baking dish covered in foil without any liquid in the pan and bring it back to temp very slowly, maybe have the oven @ 200 for an hour or so and that should get it back up to temp without messing with the actual meat by par-braising it.

Someone else may say to put stock in the pan, I don't know. I don't think I would because the meat should be plenty juicy already and you just want to get that juice flowing again.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put it in a pan, cover with foil and add some broth if you want, and reheat til it's about 150 IT in a 300 degree preheated oven (Yep, I use my remote thermo for that too) since you've already cooked it then rest a few minutes and pull. Should be fine. Actually, you may not even need the broth...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I agree with Guerre

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
I agree with Guerre
suck up

Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Just a tip for the next time you aren't able to pull after cooking. Your results will be better if you wrap the roast (chuck, butt, brisket, or whatever) in foil, then rest in a cooler for at least 2 hours. In this case, you could of wrapped and rested in cooler for 6 or more hours.

So you could of wrapped, rested, gone to sleep, woke up @ 7 am, and pulled the chuck while it was still steaming hot, and all the juices would have the chance to redistribute.

One more point, never go by temperature when deciding if a chuck or butt is done, every one will be done at a different temp. You want use the probe test on chuck, and probe or bone wiggle test on butts. When a toothpick, kabob skewer, temp probe or anything sharp and pointy goes into the roast like warm butter with very little resistance, that is when it is done, there is no single temp to pull roasts like that. On a butt, the bone wiggle test is just that, if you can pull on the bone and it almost falls out, that is when it's done. It's entirely possible your roast needed even more time to be "done".

Most of my chuckies are done between 197 and 205, same with butts.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
colonel00

I agree with Lake Dogs

Man that is a long cook for a little roast. El Ropo and the others have solid suggestions.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
suck up

I agree with El Ropo

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
jds62f
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

appreciate the comments guys.

i'd thrown this little guy on thinking it would finish in time for me to eat it for dinner. When it was clear it was going into the wee hours of the morning I just resigned to cooking to a temp and getting some sleep. There aren't enough wheels spinning upstairs after waking up @ 1a. I did consider throwing in a cooler but I didn't like the idea of letting it sit for several hours.

Next time! (i will get a much earlier start)
jds62f is offline   Reply With Quote