Todays Wall Street Journal Article on Pellet Grills

grossepellets

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Main stream Media talking about the "new" Pellet grills on page D2
Just so you know there are heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons formed from gas, wood or charcoal. Alomost seemed like an article not worth printing

Main stream Media talking about the "new" Pellet grills on page D2
Just so you know there are heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons formed from gas, wood or charcoal. Alomost seemed like an article not worth printing

I think the PAH is what makes it taste good! Grease drips on the fire, comes back up and flavors the meat. The writer just probably needed to submit "something" for a paycheck. It's obviously not an area of interest or knowledge for the writer.

I think that the key contradiction is in this statement of the article:

"Cooking meats with charcoal or gas grills can cause the formation of compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). HCAs are formed in muscle meats cooked at high temperatures."

There's a difference between grilling and BBQ, is there not? Either way, I'll take my chances. I have more of a chance of dying in a car accident than dying of cancer any way!!!

"They say that wood-pellet-burning grills use an indirect cooking method, which reduces the formation of carcinogenic chemicals."

Hmm... Isn't smoking (without pellets) an indirect cooking method too?

The other reason for this article is the growing popularity of smoking and BBQ due to Pitmasters, Best in Smoke, The Ultimate BBQ Showdown and other like shows. I work at a reinsurance company and we have a couple VP's that are starting to smoke at home and ask me questions about it. So this article may be aimed at that segment and to help them understand it better.

Just a thought.

I think smoke OCD is onto this writer. Lets face it - we joined this forum becuaaase we want to learn about something we love. IF a journalist is given the task of writing about an art form how they approach it -in this case by grasping at facts and trying to some how tie it together implies they know nothing about Q.
My wife read it and said she will never eat another wood cooked meal. How many more people will take that away from that article?
I am glad we have light shining on our world but it would be great if everyone in here wrote a letter to the editor regarding this concocked article to benefit a deadline.

AS you can see - your fetus was effected by your dad's cooking Q which is why we are all in here and she is out there

22 hours ago

This article is important just before the summer "grilling season." Few appreciate the carcinogenic impact of grilled animal foods. In addition, the PAHs formed have been shown to permanently and irreversibly lower fetal IQ (when the pregnant mom is exposed) and, for adults, the skin, eyes, red blood cells, immune system, and other parts of the body can be damaged.

People used to think cigarette and cigar smoke were attractive. Now most know to run the other way. Ditto for the smoke from grilling. Your tastes will change in a few weeks on a whole foods, plant-based diet. It may seem unimaginable, but the smell of animals cooking can quickly come to seem as appealing as smelling an ashtray. Just give your sense time to adjust as you come to appreciate nature's finest offerings - vegetables, fruits, potatoes, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.

This is my favorite part:

For the rib-eye test, a flame came up and enveloped the steak on the charcoal grill, which sparked concerns that a layer of PAHs was being deposited on the meat.

That's exactly what I think when I see a rib eye being kissed by the loving flame of a charcoal fire.

These are the type of morons who will push to have grills outlawed because of the alleged health hazards.

That article is unsuccessfully slanted to selling Trager pellet grills smokers IMHO. If you want to reduce the cancer causing hca or psa or what ever on a charcoale grill simply move the meat when the grill flares up. When I grill NY strip I leave half of the grill with no charcoal, when I get a grease flare up I simply move the meat over to the indirect side until the grease is burned up. Then back on the direct side again. If you want to reduce them in UDS use a drip pan with water in it. Pretty simple. If you like the flavor the burning grease puts off party on! Thankfully it is still a free country!!! Thanks to all of our service men and women!

New from Hotlanta

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like to first introduce myself. I've been grilling and pseudo smoking since the 70's and have recently picked up a CS TG 300SS off craigslist. So far my experience with the CS has been good and as I've read here, I just need to learn the nuances my new pit to become a proficient smoker.

Now to the point. This article uses conjecture and suppositions to draw a point that maybe smoking could be harmful. The most revealing statement was that bacteria is much more dangerous then the hydrocarbons produced during smoking/grilling or for that matter when cooking in general. I'm disappointed in WSJ for this scare piece.

BTW, One way to reduce the flare ups and reduce/avoid HCA"s & PAH"s during grilling and to give the preferred grill marks with pellet smokers is to use either GrillGrates or Mangrates.

Again, I look forward to learning on this forum.
Bruce

AS you can see - your fetus was effected by your dad's cooking Q which is why we are all in here and she is out there

22 hours ago

This article is important just before the summer "grilling season." Few appreciate the carcinogenic impact of grilled animal foods. In addition, the PAHs formed have been shown to permanently and irreversibly lower fetal IQ (when the pregnant mom is exposed) and, for adults, the skin, eyes, red blood cells, immune system, and other parts of the body can be damaged.

People used to think cigarette and cigar smoke were attractive. Now most know to run the other way. Ditto for the smoke from grilling. Your tastes will change in a few weeks on a whole foods, plant-based diet. It may seem unimaginable, but the smell of animals cooking can quickly come to seem as appealing as smelling an ashtray. Just give your sense time to adjust as you come to appreciate nature's finest offerings - vegetables, fruits, potatoes, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.

Ms. Stanger, these sharp front teeth of ours are designed to tear muscle from bone. They work well on tearing corn from the cob as well, but they were designed for us to eat meat which is what we were meant to eat.

The notion that the smell of an animal cooking on a grill will smell like an ashtray to a vegetarian or vegan is moronic. We have been tuned to enjoy that smell by our Maker and anyone refusing to eat meat for whatever made up reason, will not change that. You can cringe to the people around you when you smell cooking meat and fake a gag and say it disgusts you, but the reality is, you love that smell and always will. Granted, if you smell meat cooking on a grill not manned by one of the Brethren who over cooked and burned the meat, you might be disgusted, but if one of the brethren is cooking, your mouth will be watering even if you pretend that it makes you sick.

Is that a leather belt you're wearing, Ms. Stanger? Made you look...

........GrillinFool

Ms. Stanger, these sharp front teeth of ours are designed to tear muscle from bone. They work well on tearing corn from the cob as well, but they were designed for us to eat meat which is what we were meant to eat.

The notion that the smell of an animal cooking on a grill will smell like an ashtray to a vegetarian or vegan is moronic. We have been tuned to enjoy that smell by our Maker and anyone refusing to eat meat for whatever made up reason, will not change that. You can cringe to the people around you when you smell cooking meat and fake a gag and say it disgusts you, but the reality is, you love that smell and always will. Granted, if you smell meat cooking on a grill not manned by one of the Brethren who over cooked and burned the meat, you might be disgusted, but if one of the brethren is cooking, your mouth will be watering even if you pretend that it makes you sick.

Is that a leather belt you're wearing, Ms. Stanger? Made you look...

........GrillinFool

Not to mention that without those B 12 supplements she's deader than a murf.

Too bad we can't go back in time and warn the first humans about the dangers of cooking meat over fire. To think we've been doing it wrong all these thousands and thousands of years! :doh:

Vegetarians might pretend they don't like the smell, but they do. My brother went vegetarian for about 10 years. Funny story. He used to act disgusted at meat and the smell of it cooking. Two years ago he broke and had meat. What did it? Smoked BBQ? Nope. A grilled steak? Nope. Sizzling fajitas? Nope. He was walking through a 7-11 and walked by the nacho set-up and the chili dispenser did him in. 10 years of being a vegetarian and his first trip back to carnivorehood was chili-cheese 7-11 nachos.

Doncha just love people who want to tell you how to live? Now, it's not just because she's better than YOU are, it's because if you eat seared animal flesh, YOU WILL DIE!!

I'm surprised she didn't mention going vegan "for the children".

Yet another reason to become more politically active... To keep these flaky do-folders from controlling your life.

Bruce

Vegetarians might pretend they don't like the smell, but they do. My brother went vegetarian for about 10 years. Funny story. He used to act disgusted at meat and the smell of it cooking. Two years ago he broke and had meat. What did it? Smoked BBQ? Nope. A grilled steak? Nope. Sizzling fajitas? Nope. He was walking through a 7-11 and walked by the nacho set-up and the chili dispenser did him in. 10 years of being a vegetarian and his first trip back to carnivorehood was chili-cheese 7-11 nachos.

LOL! What I don't get about vegetarians is taking tofu and making it taste like meat. WTH?

My brother was definitely an odd vegetarian. Beirut eat salad or tofu. Lots of pasta, vegetables, and TVP.

Back