MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Default Help choose new GRILL!!

So my better half's mom has a catering company where she typical sells carnival food (corn dogs, funnel cakes, cotton candy, brisket sandwiches), but now she just got a gig for 500 hamburgers and is considering a new grill since her's is not large enough.

So my better half's mom has a catering company where she typical sells carnival food (corn dogs, funnel cakes, cotton candy, brisket sandwiches), but now she just got a gig for 500 hamburgers and is considering a new grill since her's is not large enough.

HELP ME, help her, choose a grill or possibly a griddle(?) to serve her well. I was originally thinking it would be sweet to get the Amazon.com: Weber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettle: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416NZ7S06NL.@@AMEPARAM@@416NZ7S06NL but unfortunately I doubt she will want to have the hassle of charcoal. Any PROs of this grill over propane?

Next I thought I could convince her to buy a kick@$$ trailer smoker with grill since she would easily make her money back :) but she doesn't have the storage for a trailer.

I would LOVE a santa maria style cooker BUT again portability kills that idea. Santa maria on a smoker trailer but I digress...

She saw this 8 burner grill @ samsclub for $389 and thought it might work well but I always like to get some opinions and research before spending any money on any new toys... I mean tools... right?

What about a 36" griddle? Amazon.com: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41l41wgA4ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41l41wgA4ZL

Any booming concerns about any of the options? Any advice on selecting the right tool for the job? Do you have any other recommendations?

IF I could talk her into the massive weber charcoal grill how difficult are they to get to temps and to grill on one of them?
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

the grill from sam's club is pretty good. i know friends that use them & they work well for that exact thing + dogs & chix wings.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't seen the Sams grill in person and the website is sub-par so I can't tell where the grease will drain from all those greasy burgers etc. Do you know if it has a drain?
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

if you look & zoom on the 2nd pic there's 2 grease pans under it. @ leastthats the way i remember it when checking it out.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...tion=push#desc

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Check out a Charbroil CB940X it's a nice sized charcoal grill.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe something like this?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Academy has the same Blackstone griddle for 299.99. A friend of mine bought one last year for tailgating and it seems to be doing a great job so far.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

We got one of those Sam's Club grills for our church 2 years ago to cook Hot Dogs and Hamburgers on for church picnics.

Here’s what I can tell you about it.

It works pretty well but it definitely has hot spots all over. It has twin tank holders and each tank runs 4 burners on each side.

I would have a total of 4 tanks, 2 always full, especially if it means you would have to stop cooking and lose $$$ because you are having to go get tanks filled or exchanged. You get about 8-10 hrs running at wide open.

An empty bracket is on the bottom on each leg that looks like a 2x6 would fit just right, could be of use as a small shelf or for setting catch pans on. I called the mfg. and the customer rep. had no idea what they are for.

It has a long grease trough and and two small removable grease pans but, if you are cooking a lot of burgers or other fat/juice producing meat you may want to remove the pans and get a couple of 5-gal buckets to catch the liquids so there is absolutely no problem of the grease tray overfilling and making a mess.

We have also been thinking about getting some griddles to place over the grates to use it for pancakes, fajitas or other stuff for which big flat griddles would be useful.

It' also bigenough front to back to heat up the large pans for beans and stuff if needed. You could probably use it for a hot buffet line with deep steamer pans and full or half pan foils if you wanted, but I havent tried this yet.

Everything screws together on this grill and I would suggest that you use Loctite Blue Removable threadlocker, or a similar product, on the threads to make sure everything stays tight. I would also replace the wingnuts on the leg braces with better quality hardware. Make sure there is no damage and all parts are there also. Our lids had been dented and wouldn’t close properly. I called the mfg. and they sent us replacements right away. As long as you don’t over stress the lid/wing/shelves they are a great place to stage your food as it’s going on and coming off the grill. Long tongs and long spatulas are a must! You may even need to modify spatula handles to get a little extra length for flipping your burgers.

I also bought a car washing hose/brush to use for cleaning and simple green to cut most of the crud that can accumulate and it seems to work pretty well.

I hope this helps with your decision!

Blessings,
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post

Aw man... now yer just showin' off....
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Can't give you any experienced advice but have to say, as other above have, the unit from Sam's Club looks to be the most versatile. The customer reviews also look promising. If I were making the decision I'd probably go with something like that and get three 30lb. or 40 lb. propane tanks, or maybe just a 100 lb. tank. Cheers!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
TG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My Dad bought the Sam's Club Grill a couple of years ago. He loves it and it can handle tons of food. Like others have said travel with extra propane!!
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

That weber is hard to beat...look at meadow creek...built like a tank
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
That weber is hard to beat...look at meadow creek...built like a tank
Meadow Creek builds good equiptment
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post

now i have g.a.s.(grill aquisition syndrome)

Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
if you look & zoom on the 2nd pic there's 2 grease pans under it. @ leastthats the way i remember it when checking it out.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...tion=push#desc

Be careful with those grease pans. I have a Charbroil gasser that has one of those type of pans under it. It's not secured on there very well and I've had mine fall off and make a mess. Just add a clamp to where it connects and you'll be fine. Otherwise that looks like a pretty good option for the price.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote