MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Que-Dawg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Big Green Egg - advice PLEASE

OK I posted last week, if you had $ 500 extra what would you buy? (my perfect attendance money) most of you said the big green egg. I have never seen one up close or ate off of one. I just no a lot of you all use them. That being said to help seal the deal to the wife.... 1. what is the benefits over a good Ol' Weber kettle, my gasser and my other smokers? 2. is it really worth the money? 3. how often do you use it over your other grills? sorry for the long post but any input may help seal the deal with the Ol' lady. all ya were is the closest retailer to Somerset KY 42501

Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Skidder
Babbling Farker

From what I understand they are very good on fuel,you can bake, grill, smoke, do pizza, bread and probably a few other things. Me I love the kettle with my rotisserie. But that's me. And no I don't own an egg but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night (for real)!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's the most versatile cooker you'll have. High heat searing, low and slow, baking and pizzas. I use mine a couple of times a week. I havn't fired up my Klose in a year and the gasser has been used once(because the wife decided to grill asparagus). Get a large with plate setter and you can do just about anything. Add a BGE pizza stone when you can. ($50+/-). Decide if you want to build a table or buy a nest. Nest can be picked up used from people that end up buying or building a table. And it has a lifetime warranty. Longest cook i recorded was 26 hours on a single load of lump.(could've held more than I loaded.)

P.S. My kettle hasn't been fired up since I brought home the first egg. It's about to go on CL! And maybe the Weber gasser also.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

On the http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.html home page there is a dealer locator on the upper top left.

Lowe Aluminum & Pool Inc27 miles 8832 S. US Highway 25
view map Corbin KY US 40701 606.528.3112
But as I have found there may actually be others

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Show her this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=RIBEYES

Youi just can't cook steaks on a Weber like an Egg, sorry.

I use my Egg waaay more than any of my other cookers. I grill on it more than I go low and slow, but I do both. My favorite part is how easy it is to start up. After cooking just shut down the intake and exhaust and the fire actually goes out. That alone says some scratch on charcoal. The next time you use it just stir up the coal to knock the ashes down and add little more lump on top and light it up with either a torch or wax/sawdust firesticks. Thats just a little about how much I love my Egg. You'll see when everyone else chimes in why you should also have an Egg!
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

The Weber may be the best all around cooker for the money. They just don't cost much. But BGE can't be beat for versatility. Because of the thick ceramic, it holds tempuratures amazingly well. It can do anything an oven can do. It can sear a steak at 750 degrees. It can hold 200 degrees for hours on end. It is a real miser when it comes to burning charcoal.

I guarantee you would never regret buying a BGE.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Divemaster

Trust me, I have both the Weber and the BGE.. You want the BGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
It's the most versatile cooker you'll have. High heat searing, low and slow, baking and pizzas. I use mine a couple of times a week. I havn't fired up my Klose in a year and the gasser has been used once(because the wife decided to grill asparagus). Get a large with plate setter and you can do just about anything. Add a BGE pizza stone when you can. ($50+/-). Decide if you want to build a table or buy a nest. Nest can be picked up used from people that end up buying or building a table. And it has a lifetime warranty. Longest cook i recorded was 26 hours on a single load of lump.(could've held more than I loaded.)
Mine was 29 hours... did a HUGE chuck roast (about 16 pounds) and then two dutch ovens of chili on a single load!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Show her this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=RIBEYES

Youi just can't cook steaks on a Weber like an Egg, sorry.
Or any of Rick's postings! Rick's Tropical Delight
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Rick's Tropical Delight

i'd say buy $500 of webers!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
LMAJ

Pretty much what ^^^^^^^ they said (except Rick). Just show her the pron from all the folks here with Eggs.
I got my Egg on in July and haven't fired up the Klose since and the gasser only once or twice.
Good luck with your decision!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
i'd say buy $500 of webers!
You would.....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight

i was just kidding

consider this:
they cost more than they should, but they're worth more than they cost

someone told me "you won't regret it" when i was considering buying my first. so i will say to you, you won't regret it.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Mine was 29 hours...
38 hours

Cooked a whole brisket and then three additional meals. Started at 8pm on Friday and the fire burned out on Sunday after lunch.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Mike in Abita
Found some matches.

I was given a MINI BGE as a gift. I cooked on it for a week and ordered the XL. I have since add the MEd to the fold. The fact that you can maintain any temp you want is by far the best feature. No more refilling the water pan. No refilling the firebox. Just load it full of lump and let it go. When you are finished cooking just snff out the fire by closing the vents, and you can reuse the lump left over. I've cooked butts for 24 hours and still had enough lump left in to put a serious sear on some rib-eyes. Shut it down again, and cooked burgers at 400 dome temp.

You can bake in it. Which I love to do. Friday night is usually pizza night and the egg hasn't failed me yet. It's like cooking in a pizza oven.

I've cooked on kettles, offsets, UDS, WSM and gassers. Nothing beats a ceramic cooker IMO. I gave all my other grills/smokers to family members, and they still come to me for Q.

I wonder if picts work the same here as they do on the Egghead forum. Let's see.

I tried to post photos showing what the EGG does better than a kettle. Although some of these can be done equally well on a Weber. I still like the photos. I know they aren't Tropical Delight quality, but I'm still learning.

Last edited by Mike in Abita; 01-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Added text to original
Mike in Abita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
Midnight Smoke

Egg is the way! If you get one post back before you use it for some helpful hints and tips! Wish I knew a few before I fired mine up.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

There are many of us on here who, once we have gotten a BGE rarely use any other smoker in our arsenal, including our Weber Kettles.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote