MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default CBJ Status?

Do you have to renew your membership every year to stay active as a CBJ?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Yes

too short of message - I must add a character
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

The Board voted in Feb 07 that Reps were to check the status of CBJ's. If you are not a member of KCBS, then you can't be a KCBS CBJ. However the membership cards have not been made available. This process should begin in 08.

But its not really about Reps checking, its about if you want to hold yourself out as a member and thus a CBJ, then you should be proud enought to be a member and pay yours dues.

At least that is my opinion.
Merl
PS obviously you are one of those who want to be a KCBS member and CBJ in good standing. Thank you for asking.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
The Board voted in Feb 07 that Reps were to check the status of CBJ's. If you are not a member of KCBS, then you can't be a KCBS CBJ. However the membership cards have not been made available. This process should begin in 08.

But its not really about Reps checking, its about if you want to hold yourself out as a member and thus a CBJ, then you should be proud enought to be a member and pay yours dues.

Merl
PS obviously you are one of those who want to be a KCBS member and CBJ in good standing. Thank you for asking.
Hey Merl, I noticed on the new KCBS site that the Our Members link goes to a team list. Members are more than just cooks. You may want to pass that along. They should either change the landing page or the name of the link to Our Teams or something.

Sorry for the hijack, but it seemed relevant.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Merl
I did renew my status but only as a single. My wife is a CBJ as well had i known that was the rule i would of renewed as a family for just a few more bucks. I thought the only difference was that we recieved two bullsheets when we were both members. can i upgrade and pay the difference?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone know the requirements for maintaining Judge status (besides keeping KCBS membership current)? Do we have to judge so many contests per year or whatever? Do we need to renew judge-ship by taking a refresher class every so often, or are we a judge for life so long as we are a KCBS member?

Thanks!

Aaron
8 Ball and the 'Que Sticks
newly CBJ
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorette View Post
Anyone know the requirements for maintaining Judge status (besides keeping KCBS membership current)? Do we have to judge so many contests per year or whatever? Do we need to renew judge-ship by taking a refresher class every so often, or are we a judge for life so long as we are a KCBS member?

Thanks!

Aaron
8 Ball and the 'Que Sticks
newly CBJ

There is no quota as far as I know, never heard or read of such a requirement.
I think you can sit in on a new class anytime you want if you feel the need to re-fresh.
I'll bet Linda Mullane might be a good source to confirm.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Yeap, certified judges can attend class as a refresher - on the house and I think that's great!
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:

Merl
not to start a dispute but Im a CBJ and have to wonder why paying 30 some bucks a year would make me a better judge than those that do not( meaning those who ARE CBJ's but let their membership lapse?)
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

billm read Merl's post again. You ARE NOT a CBJ if you do not take pride enough to be a due paying member of the sanctioniong body. In this case KCBS.

To be a member of KCBS your yearly dues are $30.00 CBJ or not.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
billm read Merl's post again. You ARE NOT a CBJ if you do not take pride enough to be a due paying member of the sanctioniong body. In this case KCBS.

To be a member of KCBS your yearly dues are $30.00 CBJ or not.
Im not trying to be the devils advocate here but that still makes no sense to me..I thought all you had to do was take the CBJ class to be a CBJ?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
Im not trying to be the devils advocate here but that still makes no sense to me..I thought all you had to do was take the CBJ class to be a CBJ?
You do have to take the class to be a CBJ. You also have to be a member of the sanctioning body to continue that honor.

Just like being a Shriner that drive the little cars in parade's. They pay for the cars, the outfits and the neat little red hats. PLUS they pay their dues to their shrine. I don't think any of them would show up to participate in a parade if they didn't continue in good standing with their shrine.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
billm
is One Chatty Farker

well i could give another analogy..I play handball and paticipate in USHA sanctioned handball tournaments but dont have to belong to the sanctioning body which is the USHA to ref a match at a tournament or play in a tournament...
but thats about as bbq related as shriners so...
to keep it in the bbq world here is another
I also cook in KCBS comps (in fact more than I judge) and dont have to be a KCBS member to cook in contests but do if i want to judge? Still scratching my head...but it is what it is i guess

Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
I also cook in KCBS comps (in fact more than I judge) and dont have to be a KCBS member to cook in contests but do if i want to judge? Still scratching my head...but it is what it is i guess
To cook in the sanctioned ICS chili contest this summer we had to join ICS. To compete in the NEBS grilling you have to be a NEBS member but to cook in KCBS its open. I do both but a competitor while still laying out a bunch of money including the entry fee has a chance to walk away with some winning. A judge on the other hand pays for all of his/her own travel expenses, spend a day of their own time gets to eat a bunch of food but has to be a member hmmmmmmmm

Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I did renew my status but only as a single. My wife is a CBJ as well had i known that was the rule i would of renewed as a family for just a few more bucks. I thought the only difference was that we recieved two bullsheets when we were both members. can i upgrade and pay the difference?
Sledneck, the family membership is discounted the cost of the Bullsheet, because the office will only mail you one copy. I bet if you call, you can upgrade to a family membership.

When you take the class for the 1st time everyone must join. There is no family membership at that time. Thereafter, the family rate is offered.

There is no requirement as to how many times you must judge. You are invited at NO CHARGE to audit any CBJ class offered anywhere by KCBS. I think this is a great benefit to our members. Of course you do have to be a member in good standing (pay dues) to enjoy this opportunity.

To put it simply. There is no such thing as a CBJ! MIMs trains judges and you are then a trained MIM judge. IBCA has training and you are an IBCA Judge.

KCBS CBJ's have the title of CBJ while they are members of KCBS. If your not a member then your a lay person who has some training and experience.

I think this discussion it great. I hope to see some audit my classes in the future.

Yours in Q
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote