world food championship

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Okay I'm confused.....the KCBS site shows Warren County Pork Choppers as the GC of the contest but the WFC site shows Pitmaker was the winner. Whats the deal?

I was surprised myself that the contest itself was split up like that. I had just assumed it was a normal contest, cook one contest, and the winner is the winner. That's the way it should be, but then I'm a little biased maybe because I wanted Warren co. to win the whole thing..

When having to cook the next day, and you get to pick your meat, I personally think that is screwed up. Way too many judging variables. Pitmaker won, and I'm sure they cooked something awesome to do so, be nice to know what that was.

But it's their contest, and I reckon I should respect it is what it is. I don't have to cook it if I don't like it.

I was surprised myself that the contest itself was split up like that. I had just assumed it was a normal contest, cook one contest, and the winner is the winner. That's the way it should be, but then I'm a little biased maybe because I wanted Warren co. to win the whole thing..

When having to cook the next day, and you get to pick your meat, I personally think that is screwed up. Way too many judging variables. Pitmaker won, and I'm sure they cooked something awesome to do so, be nice to know what that was.

But it's their contest, and I reckon I should respect it is what it is. I don't have to cook it if I don't like it.

The exact reason I didn't enter.

Well I want to offer a big congratulations to the guys at Pitmaker on their win...couldn't have happened to a nicer buch of guys. I was truly impressed when I visited their facility and picked up my pit. A true class operation......

Attachments

• pitmaker champion.jpg
    pitmaker champion.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 391
So as I understand it, Anything Butt category wins a BBQ contest? Sure seems odd. I'm sure Pitmaker did something great so congrats to them.

from their site...
Competition Structure

In 2013, the World Food Championships is unveiling a “tournament-style” cook-off process for all of its category competitions. The competition structure will be split into multiple rounds, including an opening “Challenger” round, a Category Finals round, after which each category champion will advance to the Final Table.

The guys at pit makers are great. They will help you from can to can't. Plus they build a great BBQ rig. They earned the win.

Hugh? Sorry I dont get that explanation, please elaborate.

Top 10 teams make it to a final competition. I believe WPC won the first round, but Pitmaker won in the finals. Pitmaker is representing BBQ in the Final Table.

If you know the rules going in, I don't think it's messed up. It's only messed up if they change the rules mid stream. Taking the top 10 teams into a final heat and determining the champ from there is not different that a lot of tournament formats. I would also think that with only 10 teams to judge, it does away with the dreaded table of death that is often talked about.

First round was 40% of final score and 2nd round (top ten) was 60% of the score...

Warren County PC was 1st after round 1 and Pitmaker was first after both days...

OK, here's the deal. (We were actually in this thing, 17th though..ick)

The first round is a KCBS competitor's event contest that had 61 teams enter. It's ribs, pork, and brisket only - no chicken. KCBS scoring is used, and KCBS reps run the contest.

The top ten win nothing but bragging rights and advancement to round two. The results you see on the KCBS site are from this round only.

Round two is Anything But - 10 portions on 2 platters the event provides. The WFC "EAT" scoring system is used for the second round. Also, all teams are filmed...so you will see them sometime in Feb/Mar.

Round one and round two scores are combined, with 40% of round 1 and 60% of round 2 scores combined to determine the winner. If you finished low on day one (like Pitmaker did) you have to really hit it out of the park on day 2 to win it, so kudos to them. Ironically, for Anything But, they turned in chicken :becky:

The first place finisher of the combined round 1/ round 2 score (Pitmaker) goes on today to battle the winners of the other non-bbq categories.

I would like to give a special shout out to fellow NEBS team Insane Swine for finshing 4th overall in the combined scoring and RGC for round 1. :clap2:

had a chance to be involved with this years WFC--it really was quite an experience--think the tournament aspect of it adds a little more to the event and was told that the Pitmaker crew knocked their chicken out of the park---we are on the road home wondering what happened today??

Back