MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #46
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Picked up angle and expanded metal for the leg supporting lower shelf today!
Great minds........

Wish I could deliver some down to you too. Now that would be a vaca with a friend and some fine a** Q and great time I'm sure.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #47
Diesel Dave

Well my boy and I got a few more things done today.
We welded in the angle for guides on the fire box and the slide out grate.

And got the bottom shelf and the guides for the cooking grate as well as the grate done.

Now hopefully Monday I can pick up the pipe I need for the hinges and get the doors mounted and the vent for the firebox cut in and finished.
Then it'll be painting time!

Thanks for lookin in and following our build.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #48
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Nice, I'm asking (Mrs.) Santa for a plasma this year!
You Funny!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #49
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #50
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

That sweet smoker is gonna help you make some killer Q and memories. Enjoy!
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #51
Diesel Dave

Thank you both, and yes it will tpope

Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #52
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Very nice Dave! Did you put a cross brace on your cook shelf? I'd suggest one before you get that thing all smoked up. Just for those times where your going to put 4 20lb turkeys or whole hog on there. I've found the expanded metal will sag a bit over time with the added weights.
Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #53
Diesel Dave

Thanks, yeah I've considered it and will add a 1/4"x1 1/2" flat stock on the center.
It's actual size is 19"x39".
Appreciate any and all input

Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #54
Meatatarian
Got Wood.

Looking good guy! We just had a compressor die on us a couple of weeks ago at our shop and I have been thinking of doing something with it. Now I know I want to. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Meatatarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #55
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Lookin good Dave! I'll have to swing by and check 'er out next time I'm out in your neck o' the woods.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #56
Diesel Dave

Thanks!!
If I were to do this again I'd cut one of the ends off where the firebox would be. It would be much easier and there would be less wasted space to heat.

Anytime J-Rod, I'm just about always around. Let me know a day ahead or so and we'll get it going and have some Q while you're here.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Thanks, yeah I've considered it and will add a 1/4"x1 1/2" flat stock on the center.It's actual size is 19"x39".
Appreciate any and all input
You might be better off with round stock/re-rod etc as that 1/4 flat stock is not rigid enough for what you want it to do, take a 3ft piece and watch how much you can flex it. You can't do that with round stock or re-rod anywhere near as much and your only using it for support. IMHO. If you have a brake you can bend sheet metal into a channel and it will be twice as rigid as the flat stock and not weigh much.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #58
Diesel Dave

Thanks again for the input!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #59
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Or use angle iron in an inverted 'v' shape.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #60
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Or use angle iron in an inverted 'v' shape.
The only problem I've seen is using that as a brace, it is wide enough it blocks the smoke and color much more than something smaller. But will work. 1/2 square tubing would work also, again can block more than the rod.