• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beans

captndan

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday we went to see Bush's Beans. They have a visitors center with a neat cafe' and a really good museum. Besides the history and operation of Bush's Beans they have a video about the history of BBQ. Wanna know who invented the first BBQ cooker as we know it today? Just down the road from Sevierville, Tennessee.

I've seen cookers in museums that predate the civil war.

Captdan are you talkin about the Sevierville between Rogersville and Kingsport? I used to go down there every week, but never saw too many Que joints. Found one place that did fried baloney sandwiches though.

I think he may have passed out from too much gas or.........they sell likkker there too. Either way, I want to here...the rest of the story, Capt.

We hear Bush's beans are tiny and shrivelled , any truth to that?:shock::tape:

We'd like to know but don't want to look....

Bush's is on a small road just off I40. Chestnut-hill, TN . The only thing there is Bush's. For reference us Dandridge or Newport, TN. According to the history video the kettle was invented by some guy that worked for the Weber Co. about 1910. It looks about the same as today's Weber. They have dozens of people and machines that grade the beans. Everything is state of the art. They don't seem to have anything against the Aussies. No booze there but there's still smoke in the mountains occasionally. Fun family place to visit. In the cafe' they have a 'bean of the day' sample with all orders. Don't walk in the grass without looking down first. Woof Woof

Bush's is on a small road just off I40. Chestnut-hill, TN . The only thing there is Bush's. For reference us Dandridge or Newport, TN. According to the history video the kettle was invented by some guy that worked for the Weber Co. about 1910. It looks about the same as today's Weber. They have dozens of people and machines that grade the beans. Everything is state of the art. They don't seem to have anything against the Aussies. No booze there but there's still smoke in the mountains occasionally. Fun family place to visit. In the cafe' they have a 'bean of the day' sample with all orders. Don't walk in the grass without looking down first. Woof Woof

OK, so it's Bush's that's just down the road from Sevierville. Not that there's a connection to the first BBQ grill as we know it today to Sevierville. :doh:

The sentence location led me to a wild goose chase.

That was pretty poor composition. Next time I will try to answer questions in a more orderly fashion. But it was fun watching you chase your tail. :clap:

captndan;2560272 For reference us Dandridge or Newport said:
Weber-Stephens was founded in 1893 as Weber Brothers Metal works in Chicago IL. Their primary business then I believe was making metal buoys.

The first Weber kettle was built in 1951, in Chicago, IL also, by George Stephen Jr. It was first commercially sold in 1952, and George Jr. bought out the company in the late 50's, and focused solely on grill production. Not sure what that had to do with Tennessee? Still, not sure a Weber kettle is the "first bbq cooker as we know it today"? But it is a damn fine product, as are their WSM's!

Back