MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Time for a new deep fryer, opinions requested...

Yes, this is not technically a BBQ question, but I am hoping there are at least a small handful of Brethren who, every once in a while, cook and eat deep fried foods. If I am wrong, the mods can move this somewhere else.

My Fry Daddy has done its job for a long while, to the best of its abilities. But, it doesn't offer much in the way of temperature control, and it make a huge mess when I use it.

I have looked at the Cuisinart deep fryer several times, and I think it may be what I am looking for. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

Are their other fryers I should look at?

Quality, simplicity and value are my priorities -- and of course, temperature control. A lot of fryers are all about safety, and if I had children in the house, that would be a priority. They look way too complicated and difficult to use, and I know what hot oil can do.

Tell me what you think.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

We have had this fryer for over 8 years. Of course this is a newer model. My wife is Belgian so we fry Fries and other specialties. I use it a lot and for the price you can't beat it!

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-program...p-00884008000P

Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
lowindo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cajunfryer.com

Get a 4 gallon. I love my 6 gallon.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

We have an Ultrex deep fryer (discontinued line previously sold on HSN) which still works great. The reasons we selected our model would still apply if we were shopping for one today:

Capacity - ideally 3 or 4 quart will allow for a good quantity of food to be cooked at one time, while not being so large that you have to store tons of cooking oil

Heating element - now they are all pretty much the same, the submerged heating element. Look for one that has 2 "thingamagoobies" on the element to register the temperature, and is raised above the bottom of the container so it doesn't burn whatever drops

Digital/Manual controls - I prefer manual as the oil splatter makes the digital difficult to read

Magnetic power cord - kids or not, this is a great feature

Basket options - narrow and deep is better than wide and shallow

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I had it to do over again, I would look for these things.

1. Immersion heating coil, preferably removable/replaceable.
2. Simple controls and design.
3. No filters or other do hickeys allegedly to control oil or spray, useless.
4. Removable oil reservoir for easier cleaning.
5. As much stainless in a smooth surface as possible

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How about this one. It is a Presto and has a temp control. I have an older one that has a ceramic pot for slow cooking.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

I would love to have one that is weather proof. Something I could keep on the deck beside the grill. Kinda like the cajun fryer but if it had a watertight lid.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-10-pound-commercial-countertop-fryer-single-pot-120v-df-6l/177F120%20%20%20%20%20120.html

You will not regret.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I know this doesn't fit some of your requirements, but IMO, household fryers suck. I've got three. Two smaller ones, and one that can deep fry a turkey if I wanted. Other than their initial use, they haven't been used in about two years. If I'm deep frying anything I just dump oil into my enameled cast iron dutch/french oven. It's an incredible multitasker and isn't just some bulky and annoying gadget that takes up a ton of space or is a pain to clean.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I would take a look at Presto. I believe the element is removable, and it comes in single and dual basket models. It is controlled by a digital thermostat.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/pro...hp?stock=05466
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
I would take a look at Presto. I believe the element is removable, and it comes in single and dual basket models. It is controlled by a digital thermostat.

I have this model and it works great! I haven't used it for a long time due to eating better and the lingering smell of oil in the house. I don't have a good vent hood to pull the smoke and smell out.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post

Sorry but no. Spend a few extra dollars. I had a earlier model and it worked ok but was a nightmare to clean.

Guys trust me on this

Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to be mobile and stay lit up while you transport , give Mike at Wyss cater trucks a call in Los Angeles

Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
Sorry but no. Spend a few extra dollars. I had a earlier model and it worked ok but was a nightmare to clean.

Guys trust me on this
Do you have an alternate recommendation?
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

I have a presto deep fryer and I never use it. Too hard to clean. I use a copper cazo and a thermometer. Copper cookware is really awesome at even heating, It is also very nice to look at.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote