• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sweet Baby Rays Shredded Pork

fweck

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So my wife comes home from the store this weekend and says "Look what I got." She had two tubs of Sweet Baby Rays Shredded Pork. Now having tried Lloyds and others, I didn't have the heart to tell her that it will probably be nasty.

Well we had it last night and I was pleasantly surprised. Not mushy, big chunks of meat with visible bark. The only complaint I would have was there was a little bit too much sauce, but it wasn't swimming in it like the others. I wouldn't mind if she bought it again. :twitch:

Hummmmm. Might try it if I see it. Perhaps strain some of the sauce out and mix in a little cider vinegar too.

Hmm...interesting, never heard of it.
It's a very rare day when I put sauce on anything, but when I do, it's usually Sweet Baby Rays.

Actually, I don't think I've ever even had Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Then again, I use sauce as a condiment for fries mostly, or on grilled chicken, or as an ingredient for other dishes like beans and such...

Speaking of the shredded pork and chicken, I see they have ribs too. Anyone tried those?

wpfe9315d5_06.png

I look at this stuff like the Mc rib: some people will eat anything if it has the word BBQ attached to it or the name of a popular Sauce. IMO I woudln't feed it to my dogs for fear of getting bit, Goes to show most dogs are smarter than people.

On a less-proud day, i've eaten the Sweet Baby Ray's sliced brisket.

It pales in comparison to a local bbq joint...
Which pales in comparison to my brisket...

But as a cheap impulse buy on a tuesday night for a quick snack, it wasn't horrible. Closer to real bbq than mc-rib by a mile.

The day I can go to the grocery store, sit there all day with my feet up, drinking a 12 pack, listening to tunes as loud as I want and smoking a cigar is the day I will buy pulled pork in a tube or farked over sauced ribs.......:biggrin1:

The day I can go to the grocery store, sit there all day with my feet up, drinking a 12 pack, listening to tunes as loud as I want and smoking a cigar is the day I will buy pulled pork in a tube or farked over sauced ribs.......:biggrin1:
Great minds think alike:biggrin1:

Actually, I don't think I've ever even had Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Then again, I use sauce as a condiment for fries mostly, or on grilled chicken, or as an ingredient for other dishes like beans and such...

SBR is GREAT on fries :becky:

Being from the west, sauce is on pretty much all bbq, and i prefer sauce on mine (light, they wont be swimming in it) and my all time favorite sauce right now is SBR brown sugar and hickory.

It pales in comparison to a local bbq joint...
For me they are a local BBQ joint. In fact we've been having board meetings for our club at their Elk Grove Village store. I met the son of "Sweet Baby Ray" Tuesday but only to thank them for accommodating us. I've had their brisket and pulled pork and like mine better. SWMBO also likes mine better. Of course we're not too objective about my 'Q.

I do keep a bottle of their sauce on hand for when a red sauce is desired. I also make my own mustard sauce using a recipe I found on the Internet. (Big Daddy's ...)

I really like SBR's Honey Chipotle sauce on ribs. Uhm, let me clarify, I like it on the ribs that I smoke in my smoker. :becky:

Beyond that, I don't like pulled pork that is already sauced. I guess a lot of people like it that way, because it is served that way in so many places - but if the meat ain't good without sauce - then it sure isn't gonna be helped much by drowning it.

Being from the west, sauce is on pretty much all bbq, and i prefer sauce on mine (light, they wont be swimming in it) and my all time favorite sauce right now is SBR brown sugar and hickory.
"Light", as in a bit of liquid seasoning....NOT like you're tossing it all in a crockpot of sauce.
Bingo, that's it right there. There's nothing wrong with a little "post processing*" of the meat as long as you're not making sauce flavored meat.

Bob

*To use a term from the photography industry

Back