• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods Party Mods

Thanks PH, I think she is all tricked out at this point. These things cook so easily anyway it is almost like cheating:biggrin: How did you happen to do the chicken on yours?
Papa used one of my WSMs to do chicken at Princeton. Not sure what he did in Racine, may have used his offset.

Thanks PH, I think she is all tricked out at this point. These things cook so easily anyway it is almost like cheating:biggrin: How did you happen to do the chicken on yours?

Sorry I missed this a couple of weeks ago...I did ribs & chicken in the Party, I put the ribs on the top 2 shelves & the chicken on shelves 3 & 4. I cooked at 230* (which is a little cooler than I normally do for chix), but I cooked the chix until internal was 165* about 2 1/2 to 3 hours & I dunked them in sauce & put them on my grill over med heat to finish them up & crisp the skin a bit...

We wound up doing the Chicken, Ribs, and a Butt on my Party for the comp. We got 10th in Chicken, not bad for our first comp. It was cooked at 250F for an hour and pulled the water pan and let her get up to 350F to crisp it up. Here are some pics.

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1322.jpg

BTW welcome to the BWS family Tedlor!

Looks like good eats to me...Congrats on the 10th place finish!

Thanks but I gotta give Kudos to CountryHB (Big Country BBQ). The guy knows his stuff, I learned a lot that weekend.

I know this is an old thread but I got a pm today asking if I still had pics of the mods that I did to my party...not sure how photobucket moved them but here they are.

All I did was cut the expanded metal and wire tie it together. Country has the party now and the wire ties are still holding together after five years. Also I cut the front panel a little shorter to make it easier to toss in wood chunks or additional fuel.

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1238.jpg

Rob, did you install the casters or did Mike at BWS install them?
I had Mike put them on the Party, but when I got my Competitor it came without. I found some at McMaster Carr but they were not near as nice as the ones Mike sells.

I ordered the commercial grate, I am not that handy :tongue:
You know you have friends that would help ya build one...they are simple and only take a beer or two's time to complete. I found myself still needing one for even the competitor's commercial grate. It really helps on long cooks plus it keeps the brigs/lump from falling over the sides into the ash pan.

So which model did you order?

I ordered the heat diverter, 2 pairs of xtra slides, cover, guru, commerical charcoal basket.

Should I order the tie downs and casters? I plan on placing the Backwoods on the back of the RV with a hitch carrier.

I had Mike put them on the Party, but when I got my Competitor it came without. I found some at McMaster Carr but they were not near as nice as the ones Mike sells.

You know you have friends that would help ya build one...they are simple and only take a beer or two's time to complete. I found myself still needing one for even the competitor's commercial grate. It really helps on long cooks plus it keeps the brigs/lump from falling over the sides into the ash pan.

So which model did you order?

Rob,

I ordered the extended party. Just trying to make sure I get all the bells and whistles now. What kind of stand do you use?

I ordered the heat diverter, 2 pairs of xtra slides, cover, commerical charcoal basket.

Should I order the tie downs and casters? I plan on placing the Backwoods on the back of the RV with a hitch carrier.

The tiedown handles are good buy the casters yourself cheaper. Larger ones will require you to drill new holes but still very easy to install yourself.

Last edited:
I ordered the heat diverter, 2 pairs of xtra slides, cover, guru, commerical charcoal basket.

If you plan on standing it up vertically the casters will be a PITA. You can crank the tiedows tight but with those hitch carriers one little bump on the road and the hitch can bounce side to side. You can eliminate some of the play in the hitch with a anti-sway insert but I'd just lay it down and pad it with some cargo blankets. You can pickup a cheap hand truck from harbor freight to move the cooker around. One other option I would look at is 180° doors if they are available on the ext.party.

Rob,

I ordered the extended party. Just trying to make sure I get all the bells and whistles now. What kind of stand do you use?
I no longer have my competitor but it had casters as welll as the party.

Dont ever order a BWS without the heat diverter I still dont know why they just dont include it in the price. You can always slide it out to run hotter if you want.
So true mine came without it...I wish I knew ahead of time.

Rob,

So if I am hearing you correctly, based on my mode of intended operation. Do not get the casters?

Rob,

So if I am hearing you correctly, based on my mode of intended operation. Do not get the casters?

While I'm not Rob, I would not get the casters. The bottom plates are drilled out to accept a commonly sized caster plate, which you can buy the casters from Harbor Freight or Amazon for no more than $50.

Where is the Extended Party on the Backwoods site? How does it compare/differ from each other?

What is the story on the Standard smokestack vs the upgrade Butterfly valve, tuning?

Where is the Extended Party on the Backwoods site? How does it compare/differ from each other?

What is the story on the Standard smokestack vs the upgrade Butterfly
valve, tuning?

The Extended Party is just 3 inches deeper than the standard Party more capacity basically. The butter fly valve is just a different style of smoke stack cut off. I dont see a big deference in affect but they put them standard on the larger models.

Back