MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #76
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Hi!

I like about 170'F or so for a steak. I smoke my whole pork loins to about 175' to 190'F or so and I love them this way, I think they're juicy and tender and great.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #77
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Ron,
Did I really write that or was that some Mod Magic? Too Funny. I totally meant to write rare and medium rare crowd...
No mod magic here :)

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #78
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
No mod magic here :)
You Modded him by repeating his words verbatim.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #79
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan.
This is very interesting to me. My wife also makes comments about not wanting to see blood on her plate. What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I don't like the squishy, stringy texture of rare. I like it better when the center has just started to firm up. I will agree the flavor can be better, especially when compared to well.
I can understand how different textures appeal to different tastes, and i can understand how taste preferences differ. I'm not one of those militant types It's your steak (or chop or whatever) so you can eat it however you like it. It's similar to coffee. Folks sometimes apologize to me for putting milk, cream or sugar in their coffee. I always tell them that they should drink it however they like it. The only exception to that is ketchup on hot dogs!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #80
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

redirect: www.grilling.com
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #81
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Exclamation I suppose I can't even walk by the clubhouse

I like Steak Tartare.... the traditional way, with diced raw onions, capers and a raw egg on top...

Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #82
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
I like Steak Tartare.... the traditional way, with diced raw onions, capers and a raw egg on top...

Matt,

You cannot come within 50 feet of the club. Raw Meat Restraining Order.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #83
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
My ex's family loved that, took me years to try it, I missed out! It is so good. And, yes, I like my meat cooked on the rarer side.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #84
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Ummmm......Steak I will gladly eat rare, med-rare and that is about it. All bets are off off off off off when it comes to under cooked ground beef.

E. Coli 0157H knows no boundaries. You need to cook ground beef through and through or there isn't anything to stop that vicious bug from getting you. When I lived in Queensbury, NY and people as young as 30 were dying from this strain of bacteria, that settled rare/med-rare/med/med-well donenesss. Fully cooked and juicy for me please.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #85
buccaneer

Quote:
This is very interesting to me. My wife also makes comments about not wanting to see blood on her plate. What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

I can understand how different textures appeal to different tastes, and i can understand how taste preferences differ. I'm not one of those militant types It's your steak (or chop or whatever) so you can eat it however you like it. It's similar to coffee. Folks sometimes apologize to me for putting milk, cream or sugar in their coffee. I always tell them that they should drink it however they like it. The only exception to that is ketchup on hot dogs!
X2 except for the hot dog +ketchup which I just don't get at all, never having eaten one.(shrugs)

My experience has been that it is always the people who don't like rareish meat are militant and aggressively pushy about it.
My theory is controversial and I don't want to get hated because I am perfectly happy to cook stuff however it will best please the eater.
That being said, I learned young not to 'eat with my head' but to use my other senses designed for the job.
In other words, not to judge the food and go "YUCK" until I had tried it a few times.
We all have our limits though, I saw Baluut in the Philipines and drew the line, and that was after being raised eating charred fur covered macropods dragged smoking out of a hardwood fie on the ground, or wriggling caterpillars that taste like buttery custard.
In Asia, I had a good hearted couple walk over and tell me not to eat the raw chicken because I would die.
Turns out they had traveled in Asia for 3 months eating out of bakeries and cans from supermarkets.
Makes you wonder why it is that these food and safety dogma's we have drummed into us in our own 'superior' culture that we drag out into other environs take precedence on our sense of reality OVER the visual evidence that a dramatically denser population far older than 'home' is happily chowing down on the food and living happily with no ill effects.
Did I listen to the good Samaritans?
No.
I had been eating this for ten years, along with millions of other diners. I ate the raw chicken, and politely told them about my friend back home I met at university.
He was from Koh Phangan, Thailand.
Nice guy, beautiful island.... well, it used to be.
Anyway, every time the wind blew and the trees gushed with it, he covered his head with his hands and ran all bowed over.
Funny to see.
Where he grew up, the wind blew coconuts down and they would kill you if they hit you on the head just right.
You don't carry the rules with you. Pay attention to the environment and learn.
Don't judge food taste and sensation with your mind but with your other senses designed for it.
If chicken is fresh and processed safely and served properly it is delicious and perfectly safe raw.
So it depends on that, and that only.
The proteins , myoblobin and H2O in meat is not blood, and the only time I have experienced that metallic taste is when I taste my own fresh blood.
Now THAT is blood.
I have this funny feeling I am not going to get an invite into the club?
(Sorry if I went on too long...)

Last edited by buccaneer; 10-23-2011 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: PC correction :D
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #86
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Ummm...

Why?

Is there a specific article there that is relevant to the conversation? If so, please follow our guidelines on links to other sites and post enough to get a feel for it and then link to the article.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45240

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #87
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

I only care for red meat to be cooked on the "medium rare" side'
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #88
NorthwestBBQ

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #89
bigabyte

Herein lies the beauty of SPAM. You don't even have to cook that.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #90
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
This is very true unless you accidentally blow the chit out of the animal with a high power rifle causing intense trauma to the meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Herein lies the beauty of SPAM. You don't even have to cook that.
Mmmm, SPAM Tartare
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote