Going for a Pizza on BGE. Any tutorial?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I thought maybe there was a classic thread somewhere or a video. I'll be starting with a pre-made dough that gets rolled out.

yeah.. Dont roll the dough, stretch it by hanging it over the top of your wrists and forearms and cycle thru it till its round.

a few rules I follow.

Let the pizza stone preheat for at least 30 minutes. i have found that the first pie is the worse, and the 3rd is the best unless i let the stone come up to temp.

I dont precook the sauce. Pizza sauce cooks on the pie.

Use coarse corn meal on the stone and teal instead of flower. It acts like little ball bearings and allows the dough to move around better. Also adds texture to the crust.

and most important, always send a slice to me. :p

So far so good. I decided to make sauce from whole canned tomato.

Three cheeses. Pepperoni and onion. I need to figure out the photo account here so I can post pron.

All that ceramic really takes a long time to heat up!

What kind of lump are you using, and how much did you put in? You want to let it all get fully lit before you close the lid, or you might have trouble getting your temps up.

Also, I like your choice of just crushed tomatoes for sauce...I think that is a nice clean flavor.

What kind of lump are you using, and how much did you put in? You want to let it all get fully lit before you close the lid, or you might have trouble getting your temps up.

Also, I like your choice of just crushed tomatoes for sauce...I think that is a nice clean flavor.

edit - I cook my pies at around 450-500, it gets pretty touch & go at really high temps I have found.

And watch yourself lifting when the lid with high temps, make sure you "burp" it first.

i forgot to include that in my post.. I do the pizza at 550-600. i used to cook pizza at 700+, but i do thin crust pies, and either the bottom would burn or the dough would cook to fast and the cheese wouldnt be melted enough.

now i do it in 2 stages.. I add a light coating of sauce to the crust and par cook it for a few ninutes, then add the rest of the sauce and the cheese.

my sauce is real simple. Saute 2 cloves garlic in oil, then add a 2 cans of cento crushed tomatoes, half teaspoon salt, half teaspoon black pepper, heaping tablespoon oregano and 2 tablespoons of dried onion flakes. Let it sit for about an hour or 2 at room temp. Thats enough for 5 or 6 16 inch pies or 3 22 inch pies.

another tip.. use panko bread crumbs under the pie, and also sprinkle some on the edge of the crust before u cook it.

After it comes out and is still hot, drizzle high quality olive oil on top(some of the ones infused with basil, or rosemary are really good on pizza).

Slice ribbons of fresh basil right off the leaves with a scissors and let it sit on the hot pie. The heat releases the oils and the smell is awesome.

egg pizza :: pizza! slideshow by bbqchef33 - Photobucket

I'm missing the cheese element here. I'm sure this is hotly debated, but are there favorite cheese blends? I used a soft mozzarella (almost fresh), provolone and some Pecarino (like a Parmesan). Didn't quite hit that gooey chew of cheese that I was looking for.

I'm missing the cheese element here. I'm sure this is hotly debated, but are there favorite cheese blends? I used a soft mozzarella (almost fresh), provolone and some Pecarino (like a Parmesan). Didn't quite hit that gooey chew of cheese that I was looking for.

I go with all mozzarella typically, but I have added parm to the mix. I believe simple is better most of the time, but YMMV. I just happen to prefer less cheese and a crispier, clean flavor. Too many toppings make it harder to cook properly.

Just want to say GREAT POST! :clap2:
I got a ton of great info off of this one! My problem is generally my center doesn't cook as evenly as the rest...too many toppings perhaps? I like a thicker crust and the center of mine is usually super soft or doughy/raw.

Let the pizza stone preheat for at least 30 minutes. i have found that the first pie is the worse, and the 3rd is the best unless i let the stone come up to temp.

I've found that 30min isn't enough, depending on how hot you want. If you cook a lot of pizza like we do, get you an Infrared point and shoot thermometer and you'll know the temp. We wait until it hits 450 to 500 and they cook better and faster.

Back