First time Brisket question

Hi all! I've been looking everywhere for a choice brisket packer, but with no luck..Had to settle on a CAB flat from Sam's,Thanks in advance bro's.
Sorry for the hijack...but I thought CAB(certified angus beef) was a grade a bit above just plain choice. I'm confused as to why you had to "settle" on CAB:confused:

Sorry for the hijack...but I thought CAB(certified angus beef) was a grade a bit above just plain choice. I'm confused as to why you had to "settle" on CAB:confused:

Wanted a whole brisket, had to settle with just a flat. Definitely not complaining that it was CAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an amazing smoke ring! My first brisket will be this weekend on my BGE. I hope it's as good as that!

Hi all! I've been looking everywhere for a choice brisket packer, but with no luck..Had to settle on a CAB flat from Sam's, but everything I've been reading tells me that I may have a hard time keeping it from drying out. My plan is to cook it low and slow on the Lang 84, over pecan, with a combo of Kosmo's beef injection and the Plowboy's Bovine Bold as my rub. I'm leaning towards fat cap down, but am open to fat cap up in case it might help with the moisture content and the reverse flow offset will protect from flames anyway. I do plan to try the butcher paper wrap at 170, after reading so many posts by Funk and others. Anyways, I'm looking for any suggestions so as to not dry out a $40 piece of meat! :pray:

Thanks in advance bro's.

Please do not do the paper wrap.. I do not want to be blamed for the other problems that will contribute to a dried out brisket. You have a lot of strikes against you.

Hold it... why is a flat costing you 40 bucks... like CAB means anything to justify its cost anyway.

I am curious to hear what the strikes are against his process. I may be making the same mistakes.

I just want to reach into that pron and grap that tasty looking chunk. mmmmmmmm, looks good!

Please do not do the paper wrap.. I do not want to be blamed for the other problems that will contribute to a dried out brisket. You have a lot of strikes against you.

Hold it... why is a flat costing you 40 bucks... like CAB means anything to justify its cost anyway.

What strikes do I have against me? With all due respect, I was just looking for suggestions on what may help my first attempt at brisket. I never claimed to know what the best way was, or even push blame on others for a piece of meat that I cooked. I even stated in an update that I loved the paper method and plan on using it the future. So I'm obviously trying to learn from those that have gone before me and will only do that from research and my own trial and error. So basically, I'm always open to constructive criticism, but am not real sure what to make of your response.

As far as the $40 flat, both the IBP choice and CAB flats were $4/lb., so I went with the CAB. $4/lb @ 10lbs = $40

i mean... the things you have selected to do will result in a dry product no matter what u wrap it in... nothin personal, its just that you make the mistake most novices do... u read, read, read then go pick techniques that are not compatible then wonder why you wasted your time. Its not like I called you ugly.

look... ur smoke ring is so good it scary... there... now I am being nice... so... with that advise how good you think your next brisket is gonna be? or are you going to correct the handful of other things that make the difference.

hey... i wasted brisket too... maybe about 300 pounds

As far as the $40 flat, both the IBP choice and CAB flats were $4/lb., so I went with the CAB. $4/lb @ 10lbs = $40

pay 1.90 - 2.20 for a crappy WAL MART select packer and if you cook it right it could be stellar. in order to be Cab anyway the cow has to be like a very very small percentage angus.... very small so its a marketing ploy... and you canbt check the liniage on a brisket.

my daughter is 4 CM NOW

pay 1.90 - 2.20 for a crappy WAL MART select packer and if you cook it right it could be stellar. in order to be Cab anyway the cow has to be like a very very small percentage angus.... very small so its a marketing ploy... and you canbt check the liniage on a brisket.

my daughter is 4 CM NOW

So you need to write a HOW TO for us :thumb: since I can't seem to ever get all the details from your short posts and I REEEEEAAALLLY want to know how you cook!

i mean... the things you have selected to do will result in a dry product no matter what u wrap it in... nothin personal, its just that you make the mistake most novices do... u read, read, read then go pick techniques that are not compatible then wonder why you wasted your time. Its not like I called you ugly.

look... ur smoke ring is so good it scary... there... now I am being nice... so... with that advise how good you think your next brisket is gonna be? or are you going to correct the handful of other things that make the difference.

hey... i wasted brisket too... maybe about 300 pounds

I'd rather you call me ugly than diss the Q. :heh: But I learned from some mistakes and man, thanks for the kind words and the corrections. Cooking meat, some good, some bad and a few in between is my passion so I guess I wanna put my best foot forward every time.

Next time I'm gonna go with my own rub, no injection, kick up the temps a bit and definitely practice on some cheaper meat. Thanks again for the input bro.

Back