Baby Backs vs Spares

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Why does everyone that does not take BBQ seriously prefer baby backs over spares? Is this really the case? What makes baby backs better than spares? What do you prefer?

I'm just a backyard BBQ guy, but my reason for mostly using baby backs is that they are far more available around here. All of the grocery stores carry babybacks year round, but Sam's and Costco are the only places that always have spares.

Baby Backs are more lean. It's easy for someone who's not all that into BBQ to find some tasty back ribs. Spares have a lot of fat, and those who don't take BBQ seriously tend to get or eat spares that includes the parts that are chock full of little bony bits and cartilage. Can make for a rather unappetizing experience for those who aren't getting to experience what a spare can be.

I personally prefer trimmed spares that are cooked right. However, I am also a fan of baby back ribs, but to be honest...usually when I get the craving for BB's I'm more than happy with a pork chop!:thumb:

Last edited:
Both are good...Baby Backs are nice as an Appetizer, or a snack; for a meal...
Spareribs are the way to go.

What can I say I love both! There is no part of a pig that sucks. Sometimes I crave BB's sometimes I crave spares.

I cook both and love both. For comps I use spares because I think they present better and seem to score better. For home, I mix it up. Spares are bigger and have more meat (and fat) on them, but are juicy, tender and delicious when done right. Baby backs (or more correctly loin backs) are great too.

I think many people like the loin backs because you can grill them and still get a decent product where spares can get too tough on the grill. Not everyone has mastered the art of 'low and slow'.

depends on what is on sale. I've had rave reviews from cooking both. Some people say they like spares better, seem to be the consensus with experienced Q'ers. BB are prettier. Spares are a little more work to get trimmed correctly. But the BOTTOM LINE: Spares = $1.37/lb. Baby Backs = $3.59/lb. Basically same result.

Still have never smoked any baby backs...

I prefer spares. I would guess people who do baby backs don't prefer the work cutting down st Louis style

I do both, but honestly, I don't really care for the chine bones in the spares.
What is nice about the spares, is all the trimmings that you have to put in the freezer when you trim them St. Louis style. Just made tacos with rib trimmings last night, YUM.

I've been brought up on baby backs. Spares aren't that popular in the Chicagoland area. That's why I prefer BB's. Although I'm learning to like the St. Louis spares more and more. I realized that I just have to cook them a little longer.:mod: The last time I made them, I thought they were excellent - until I hit a pocket of fat on the top side of the slab. Shoulda trimmed that off. :doh: Maybe next time it will be a dead heat. I'm learning...

Hard to beat a properly smoked spare IMO...bacon on a stick. I think bb's are more popular because that's primarily what's offered in restaurants. Personally, I go for the spares, especially in comps. They are more flavorful and stand up better to low and slow because of the fat and present better for turn in. If I'm cooking for a crowd I'll go for bb's.

Baby backs are more meaty in a casual purchase manner, they cook faster and get tender more quickly. Most people do not want to, or will not, commit enough time to properly cook a sparerib. You really need to cook spares long enough to render the collagen and fat properly, a baby back is a lot less time intensive.

Hence, most people do not really know what a sparerib can really taste like, those of us who have experienced a slow smoked spare that was properly prepared know what they can be. Most people I know who have had my spares remark on how different the ribs I make are from the spareribs they have had before.

Spareribs all the way here. It's what I learned to do ribs with & still have never done BBs.

It's been interesting turning my customers on to what a spare rib can be. Most come in expecting BBs & want to order a full rack for just one person. Once they see what a full rack is, they usually drop the order to a half. Even then - most take away left overs.

I was one of those who started out preferring BB, but have now come around to side of the spares. For me, when I was first learning to bbq ribs, the BB's were a heck of a lot easier to deal with. They are already trimmed, smaller, cook more quickly, and have a wider margin of error than spares. That is probably the same reason that restaurants use them. Now that I am more experienced, the extra work and added difficulty have become fun. I think it comes down to personal preference and the level of effort you want to put into it.

Why does everyone that does not take BBQ seriously prefer baby backs over spares? Is this really the case? What makes baby backs better than spares? What do you prefer?

I take BBQ very seriously and I prefer BB`s because they are juicier...simple as that...:thumb:

Last edited:
Personally I like them both because IMO they're different. Granted the difference is subtle, but enough that I can enjoy both for what they are. Price usually drives my decision, which leads me to spares most of the time although I was able to purchase a rack of BB's for $1.99 / lb. recently which is a steal around here. Cheers!!!

started/learned on bb's 'cause the restaurant i was working at used those. now my preference is st. louis cut spares. i still enjoy bb's but spares are more meaty & juicy to me.

I make spares cuz its cheaper and I get to trim em any way I want. I can cook the whole rack or trim St louis style and have trimmings to sample before the ribs are done.

Spares for me...low n slow, nice glaze...hold the sides. Maybe some sweet iced tea.:thumb:

Back