MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #31
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesemicullen View Post
Let me know when you want to get rid of one of those R2 units
One I've already sold to a friend, the other I think I'm going to keep in case I need the overflow. Although it's temping to make a road trip to Memphis for some more tasty Q. You guys have nailed the art of dry ribs.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
tubby384
On the road to being a farker

I used to get all hung up on electronics for all my cookers. As I started to figure out how each one worked, I no longer use them for every cook. You have a ton of options as far as your alotted price range, so you won't be sorry for any of the brethren's suggestions. If you don't need one right away, I would consider buying used from craigslist. When I started smoking meats, I used a weber 22.5 and got pretty good with it. The cook controls the cooker, so learn your equipment. Good luck with your choice.
tubby384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #33
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I think that's a good choice for you as well! Going from electric to a WSM is one step closer to a stick burner.
It's kinda like getting hooked on drugs,.. you start with a couple of wine coolers or beers, which leads to weed and then the next thing you know you're sticking white powder up your nose, wondering what happened! LOL!!!
The dark side is calling you and we'll get you eventually! Wa-ha,ha!

HahahaYes!!! I started with open pit to ceramic then got a weber and after that got a PBC. I absolutely love the taste of food from a steel drum. It tastes by far the best for me. So much so that I have a stick burner on order. Food from a stick burner is second to none IMHO.

PBC is the easiest to control beacuse you dont need to. 1. Start fire 2. Hang food 3. Take it out when its done.

I say PBC or UDS
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #34
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
You don't need another controller, the PartyQ *is* the controller. It has a temp sensor that goes in the pit, and you set the temp you want to hold on the screen.

It's set-and-forget for about 10-12 hours with a good charcoal that doesn't ash over (lump, KC, Stubbs, etc.). A pellet cooker is even more set and forget--those work like ovens. Just don't let the hopper get empty and you're golden. You just end up spending a little more.

I'm probably going to upgrade from a pair of 22" WSMs to a Yoder YS1500 for more cooking space, flexibility to grill or smoke, and real set-and-forget ease of use.

Understood. Statement was to build a cheaper alternative based on a Raspberrypi I already have.

But as others have stated, it may not be needed. I guess after I get a WSM and start using it I'll know.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #35
SD_Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Another vote for a WSM, they really are fantastic cookers!

Although, I do agree...stick burners and just so much fun.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #36
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Another recommendation for WSM.

Make sure you get the 22" model. You will appreciate the extra space for large cooks and large briskets...
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #37
JF3695
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have been using a pellet pooper for last year, its pretty easy. They have a small one for less than $500 but I was not happy with the size, had to get a much larger one even though I only cook for a handfull of people. I use Traeger Lil Tex. I get a smoke ring on my meats and get smoke flavor, I would like to try something new in time.
JF3695 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #38
Tom Sellecks Mustache
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a Masterbuilt gasser and I don't have any complaints. I mean, I'm not going to be entering any competitions with it or anything, but for backyard bbq for friends and family, and especially for the cost, it's absolutely fantastic.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #39
Link
Got Wood.

I have a wsm 18.5 it has enough cooking space to make plenty mouths happy, a maverick 732 added is way easy cooking.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #40
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I personally love my Egg I have heard nothing except good things about the UDS- get a drum and a kit from Big Poppa Smokers and also the WSM
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #41
Jbowie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe Bowie
Default Sticks are best

I agree with OldBill, sticks are in.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #42
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I have a smokin-it #2, I used it frequently then went back to charcoal and picked up a WSM, the smokin-it #2 is mainly to make jerky, keep things warm or the occasional over night cook. I use the WSM and now a BPS UDS more than the smokin-it. Hell I often have a hard time deciding between the WSM and BPS UDS because both are such a joy to cook on.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds to me like you should get a pellet smoker. Built in temp control. No babysitting. Easy and the food still tastes great.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #44
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all of the good info guys. I pulled the trigger on a 22.5" WSM. Another q though, What is everyone using to pick up their meat when in the smoker? Gloves, Bear Paws, etc...
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #45
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
Understood. Statement was to build a cheaper alternative based on a Raspberrypi I already have.
I see. I was going to suggest an Arduino. I already have one. (Three actually ) But making a controller is not high on my list. I'm pretty happy with manual control and for the last couple cooks, I've not even bothered with pulling out the ET-732. (We tend to obsess about the process but in fact, KISS works!)

As for the smoker, hard to go wrong with the WSM. I was going to suggest a UDS as it might be a good choice for a maker, but you have already ruled that out. Unless you like a *lot* of 'Q, I would consider the 18. It's a lot cheaper than the 22 and will hold a lot of meat and not use a lot of charcoal.

If price is an issue, you can watch for a WSM on Craigslist or similar. They don't show up often but do occasionally appear. In the mean time, there are usually lots of Weber kettles available and you can start smoking with one of those. (Look up the 'fuse' or 'snake' method. It doesn't work as well as a WSM but it does work well enough.)

Welcome to the BBQ-Brethren!