Grilled street food in China

rolf

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just got back to China and cant sleep because of the jetlag, so I strolled over the street at 1am to get some wholesome streetfood. Selection ranges from small noodle shops(coal fired pot of boiling water) to guys that carry their whole kitchen equipment onto the street with plastic chairs and Tsingtao beer from the tab.

I prefer the grill stands, they vary in builds, this one was a three wheeled "cargo"bike retrofitted with a square bamboo charcoal fired box, like a hibachi. The light is hooked up to a small battery, so when the police comes,...

Everything comes on bamboo sticks, cooks faster, handles better. I ordered squid, cauliflower and string mushrooms. They get flipped once in a while and mobbed with oil, sometimes he puts some white pepper/MSG mix on and at the end a sichuan spice mix, yummy.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 304
  • grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 303
Here an overview of the selection available.
Top left-right, leek, string beans, green chili(tigerskin peppers), smoked tofu, pre fried tofu, weird sausages(as a german, I dont know how else to classify them)
Middle, string mushrooms, cauliflower, cucumber, seaweed, lamb, chicken and beef skewers from the supermarket.
Bottom, fish, chickenheels, chickenlegs, chickenfeet, unseasoned lambmeat(rat?), duck hearts

Attachments

• selection.jpg
    selection.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 301
Anything to keep the meat cold? Or just ambient temp?

I wish we had street vendors in the US. That is the coolest way to grab some grub. No fuss, good food, cooked right in front of you. And if the police come, he rides the whole kitchen away! Like buying a knock off purse in Rome.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a meal like that run in China?

Adding China to the Bucket list.

But wait! There's more! (in my best infomercial vendor voice)

If you buy today.... WE'll Double your order! Buy you have to order in the next ten minutes cause we can't afford to do this all day.

Doesn't phase me. If those rats were on sale right next to the guy with the bike, I'd be chowin down until I was broke or bloated my self. I bet that squid with some szechuan sauce is awesome right off the grill!

Doesn't phase me either. I've eaten bats. I've eaten cats. And cats eat rats.

Now I'm Dr. Seuss

And now for a rare southeast Asain street delicacy: Pangolin

Last edited:
I wish we had street vendors in the US. That is the coolest way to grab some grub. No fuss, good food, cooked right in front of you. And if the police come, he rides the whole kitchen away! Like buying a knock off purse in Rome.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a meal like that run in China?

Adding China to the Bucket list.

Vendors rule!
I went to Istanbul last year and they had those too,the ones who run away for the 5-0.:lol:
They have wooden carts with a grill on it,I ate kofte.
A bunch of tomatoes,onions and parsley is what you probably see in the pic.
Oh yeah,it doesn't phase me either,I've eaten many different kind of animals and willing to try more.
This saturday I'm picking me up some croc.:-D
Never ate that before!

Attachments

• SMALL_03447_Kofte_verkoper.JPG
    SMALL_03447_Kofte_verkoper.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 221
Vendors rule!
I went to Istanbul last year and they had those too,the ones who run away for the 5-0.:lol:
They have wooden carts with a grill on it,I ate kofte.
A bunch of tomatoes,onions and parsley is what you probably see in the pic.
Oh yeah,it doesn't phase me either,I've eaten many different kind of animals and willing to try more.
This saturday I'm picking me up some croc.:-D
Never ate that before!

Never had croc, only gater. Gater is kind of like veal to me. I love it. They serve it all over in FL. Wish I could get it here in CA at a decent price.

I do have to admit, though, I cannot stomach the thought of eating Balut. Just not gonna happen.:eusa_clap
balut1.jpg

I am no Andrew Zimmern for sure!

Did I hijack this thread?

Sorry,

Going to penalty box now:icon_frow

street vendor food is great. well, except balut. that stuff makes me wanna pass out.

That Chinese street food looked pretty good to me. Forget the Philipino birds. In the pics I'm still looking for the 3 compartment sinks with revearse flow and hot water and the decking and the easy-up's with net siding and the sneeze guards and the cambro's and the warming trays with the temp guages and the extremley sonic red Thermapens.......And the HD stickers.

Then there is my latest idea for a business, who needs a street?
bbqshack.jpg

Back