Contest Results Somebody here win this?

I entered boiled brisket and steamed ribs, actually made of tofu and soy products. They told me that it was real BBQ so I could not enter it.

Is that the LI TOY results? If so then yes.:biggrin:

Is this some kind of joke?

1. The closest they get to BBQ is that some recipes grill things.

2. The notion of "Asian pesto" just sounds like a bloody joke to me.

3. Potato-Macaroni salad just sounds disgusting. Plus, it's not even cooked in ANY way.

4. Forgetting for a second that I hate mushrooms, the grilled mushrooms sound OK ... they're grilled even. Still, grilling is not BBQ.

Is this some kind of joke?

1. The closest they get to BBQ is that some recipes grill things.

2. The notion of "Asian pesto" just sounds like a bloody joke to me.

3. Potato-Macaroni salad just sounds disgusting. Plus, it's not even cooked in ANY way.

4. Forgetting for a second that I hate mushrooms, the grilled mushrooms sound OK ... they're grilled even. Still, grilling is not BBQ.

tell us how you really feel?

tell us how you really feel?

They're yet another bunch of folks trying to evangelize their way of life by trying to make it appear normal. Rather than just saying "hey, these recipes are really good" ... they label clearly not BBQ recipes as BBQ.

Shall I continue? Sure ... let's have more fun at their expense:

5. Teriyaki is a glaze that is baked on. Not brushed on and then grilled.

6. Recommending a non-stick pan. Please ... cancer risk anyone?

7. And, lest I forget, that teriyaki tempeh recipe has way too many flavors in it. Far, far too many. Lime, strawberry, mango, cilantro, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, soybeans, sesame oil, basil, Mirin, onions, bell peppers, and spinich? Just pick a few and do a good job of it. This recipe smacks of someone trying to be too clever.

8. Potato-Macaroni salad? Make up your mind. Pick one.

9. I was going to smack around the mushroom recipe a little ... but, it's actually reasonable. Simple, to the point, doesn't overpower its primary ingredient with a lot of "watch me show off" fluff. Except, of course, the mushroom part. But, that's a taste issue. I have good taste. Mushrooms don't. :twisted:

I have good taste. Mushrooms don't. :twisted:[/quote]

Going to have to disagree there about the mushroom thing. Mushrooms of many types have awesome flavors, have you ever tried a chanterelle or how about a truffle? These are amazing deep earthy flavors with much deeper flavors than you can get from just about any other vegetable.

Back on topic - I did not win!!!!!

I have good taste. Mushrooms don't. :twisted:
Mushrooms are actually more closely related to insects than they are to any legitimate food item. The whole issue of eating parasites gives me the heebies.

As far as the recipe contest -- it falls prey to the same misunderstanding as most of the general public, the critical distinction between "grilling" and BBQ. I did my years as a vegan, and absolutely agree that the cuisine needs to be developed extensively, but come on, if it's supposed to be about grilling then lose the cold salads.

All those ingredients are added so the tempeh is halfway edible. Try it raw sometime. Barf mod.

All those ingredients are added so the tempeh is halfway edible. Try it raw sometime. Barf mod.

If your main ingredient sucks so very, very badly ... you're cooking with the wrong ingredient.

What I do not understand about vegetarians is the lengths they go to make stuff taste like meat. If meat is so bad for you, why do you want to copy it? You don't see us carnivores trying to shape brisket like broccoli.

Back