Santa Maria Pit - Method?

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for any input on method for cooking steaks (specifically Rib eyes) on a Santa Maria Pit. I've worked out my preferred technique, but wondering what those with more experience do.

I start the fire with Kingsford or similar until I get a decent bed of coals, then I start feeding on "kindling" of hardwoods (my pit is pretty small, and it's tough to use anything large - gets too hot). I think the best way to explain it is that I use coals to keep the heat where I want, and small pieces of wood for the flame and flavor. I lower the steaks to the tip of the flames for about 60-90 seconds at a time, then raise it up for a bit (5 minutes or so), then I repeat the whole procedure. Flip the meat, repeat. Keep doing it until it's done (rare/med rare by touch)

This gives good control over the exact amount of "char" and cooking of the fat while getting maximum cave-man direct flame flavor.

I got it done "perfectly' ONCE - possibly the best ribeye I've done at home. Mind you, they all come out pretty good, but when you do it just right, you shoot to do it again and again. Looking for a more consistent method.

I watch the "pros" when I'm in San Luis Obispo, and they are on much larger pits, but use a basically similar method. I know that their fires are hotter, but the distance the meat sits above the flame is also greater.

Anybody got any suggetions based on their experiences/observations?

Most of the pros in the Central Coast area use Red Oak for fuel. I can understand your hesitation in using large chunks of wood ---because large chucks of wood usually mean large amounts of heat. I have found that by using the large chunks of wood and waiting patiently until they are burnt down to workable coals--that I get the best results. Other times I have been impatient and walked out to the BBQ pit after I have already dined---and said-"Wow, the fire is perfect now."

I was told by a old pitmaster, Santa Marian to hold my hand over the fire, close to where the meat would go, and count "Thousand one, thousand two" etc. When the hand is so hot that it must be jerked away from the fire--that is your count. He liked to cook at "Thousand 6." He said that for each second of count---the steak should cook 1 minute. So if you held your hand and jerked it away at "Thousand 7" that the steak should cook for 7 minutes per side. I have basically followed this formula for many years and it works. It works--but the steaks are usually done more than I like---for rare I deduct 1 minute. BBQ is an inexact art---and one person's hand may be more heat resistant to another's. This is just a very basic "old School" process that actually works.

If you would like to watch experts in action---go to Jocko's in Nipomo,CA and watch them cook your steak---the restaurant is built in a "U" shape that circles around the BBQ pit and is fun to watch.

Thanks for the reply Chuckwagonbbqco.

Been to Jocko's a couple of times, and that is exactly who I'm trying to imitate with respect to results. I go out and watch each time. They seem to cook at much higher temps - those guys get real warm next to that fire. Think I'll take my IR next time just to see how hot it really gets.

Hard to get real read oak where I am which is why I tend to use coals, then red oak chunks to the side (smoldering) for the flavor. I'll try the counting thing on my next try.

Need to find a red oak source.

Thanks again!

If you are close enough there is a place in Orange called the Woodshed that sells it.
Thanks - found their website - it's a bit of a drive, but we go through that area every now and then. Maybe I'll take the pickup next time and stop by.

They don't list their prices though.......... :shock:

Can anyone address how you would approach cooking a tri-tip on the SM? How would do that as compared to the steak you were talking about.

Can anyone address how you would approach cooking a tri-tip on the SM? How would do that as compared to the steak you were talking about.
Same basic techniques for me. Figure out if you want to marinate the TT first. Add a coating of your preferred dry rub (I either go garlic/onion/pepper, or something similar to SuzyQ's or The Rub Co's SM seasonong) for at least 30 minutes (preferably more).

Get a good bed of hardwood coals (Red Oak in there somewhere if you can get it). I keep it up away from the high heat for awhile, then drop it in to the flames to sear the outside a bit - just a little at a time. To me, this is the key to the correct flavor. Flip, repeat till desired doneness (I like about 125-130). Pull, rest for 20-30 minutes foiled. Slice against the grain or very thin slice (great for sammies)

My 2 cents.

I sure wish someone would draw up a set of plans for building a Santa Maria type Pit as I know I would buy a set of plans and I bet a lot of other folks would to. I know that by looking at them they are not that complicated to build but being an old geezer I like to have a set of plans. Does anyone have a set of plans they would sell me?

Back